::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2001, 07:13 PM   #1
OneDopeTeg

Any LS/VTEC's out there?

Does anybody here have an LS/VTEC setup? If so....what is your set up.
Old 09-22-2001, 02:08 PM   #2
hybridrex

Yeah, taking it out in a few weeks to opt for a b17 with drag turbo setup, keep you posted on it.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:13 AM   #3
eastcoastdelsol

i would highly recommend you rethink the ls/vtec. its really not all its made out to be. yeah, it makes more power on the dyno than the gsr, but thats in stock trim.

simply put, the ls rod bolts and other peices are not meant to spin to 8k. the gsr is a way better bottom end for revs, where as the ls is a better bottom end for low end torque.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:43 AM   #4
OneDopeTeg

Quote:
Originally posted by eastcoastdelsol

simply put, the ls rod bolts and other peices are not meant to spin to 8k. the gsr is a way better bottom end for revs, where as the ls is a better bottom end for low end torque.

True...but the rods (and bolts) in the LS can be changed to ones better than those in the GSR.....so thats no problem.....if you built the LS bottom end it should be just fine.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:06 PM   #5
eastcoastdelsol

agreed, but 98.9% of the people who will do that swao will not do any internal work whatsoever.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:24 PM   #6
OneDopeTeg

agreed....but that is the beauty of a site like this we can spread the good word
Old 09-26-2001, 12:54 AM   #7
eastcoastdelsol

agreed, but 98.8% of people are still idiots

Old 09-26-2001, 08:09 AM   #8
gtp862

Questions.

I am putting a ITR head on my 98 GS, but the problem is the cycliner head I brought is just a bare head. I need to get all the pieces together and take it to a shop. So far I had the valves, valve springs, retainers, vtec solenoid, rocker arms shaftsw/ pins and the lost motion assembly(What is it anyway). Cam shafts, cam gears and valve cover are on their way. What else do I needed? As for pistons, which would you guys suggest? I want to upgrade to Crown's rod. Do I use LS or Type R? Thank you.
Old 09-26-2001, 04:36 PM   #9
OneDopeTeg

you need a VTEC distributor for that head. I do not know if you have all of the seals but there are cam seals and valve seals. Did your head come with the valve guides? As far as upgrading the connecting rods.....go with the LS rods.....eagle is a good quality affordable connecting rod.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:04 PM   #10
T.O.tegs

changing the rods and pistons will help but if you really want to rev to 8000rpm+ then I suggest that you invest in a block girdle...all B18Cs actually employ block girdles because of the not so great r/s ratio.

check out www.z10eng.com they offer block girdles for both B18A/B and B20B/Z blocks.
Old 09-28-2001, 01:15 AM   #11
eastcoastdelsol

wow!!! rod to stroke ratio I think we got a smart one here!!! hehe.. bout time someone knows what i mean when i say that! lol- everyone is always liek whats so important about 1.75? lol
Old 09-28-2001, 08:05 PM   #12
T.O.tegs

Quote:
Originally posted by eastcoastdelsol
wow!!! rod to stroke ratio I think we got a smart one here!!! hehe.. bout time someone knows what i mean when i say that! lol- everyone is always liek whats so important about 1.75? lol

thanks

A lot of people are interrested in building up ls/vtecs and cr/vtecs but the build up is not cheap and I'd hate to see all that$$$ go to waist because some one didn't research the project before hand....the Z10 block girdles help a great deal and make revving to 8000+ reliable(not to mention that with a frankenstien, you will be making power to 8000 rpm and beyond...depending on the cams used and so on)...so the Z10 girdle is worth getting.

I actually just checked the web site again and they now offer block girdles for the B16s as well....since the B16s have an almost perfect r/s ratio they do not come with block girdles but if some one where to stroke a B16 then they would loose that "almost perfect" r/s ratio...I believe 1.74:1. In this case the stroked B16 will benefit from the block girdle to help absorb vibration and stress @ high rpms...

didn't mean to write an essay but this is an interresting topic!
Old 09-29-2001, 05:08 AM   #13
gtp862

Thanks guys. As for the intake manifold. What do you guys suggest? Jdm oy Skunk2? I am currently having a AEM cold air intake system, Neuspeed header( I know, I know it's not a good choice.) and a Tanabe Racing Medalion. Any of the parts can carry over? I know the ls header could be bore to fit on a B18c5. Would it be better to just get a jdm header?
Old 09-29-2001, 02:37 PM   #14
T.O.tegs

did you get the R intake manifold with your head? If not then just buy an ITR I/M...it's a little cheaper then the skunk2 and is the same thing. The header will fit your new head but I'm not a big fan of the neuspeed headers. The AEM CAI for the ls will fit the ITR I/M but the diameter of the piping is different...I believe the LS AEM CAI has 2.5" piping and the ITR AEM CAI has 3" piping...I have the GSR AEM CAI, 2.75" piping.
The reason the AEM CAI for ITR has bigger piping is because the R has a bigger throtle body....I hope you have the R throtle body...

you shouldn't have bought an ITR head...the B16A head is pretty much identical to the R(not to mention it costs a lot less) head and all of the internal components would have fit on that...all it needs is a p/p and it's pretty much an R head
Old 10-12-2001, 03:50 PM   #15
JaY D. Em

I read alot of smart things, but i've had the itr manifold and i upgraded to a skunk2 manifold, way different... The skunk2 made my car pull alot better. As far as dyno goes, i got my car dyno'd after i put it on, and never had any previous dyno runs before so i dunno... But i think anyone will tell you that has it, that they're satisfied with it. And as far as bottom ends go, the most reliable bottom end all motor is the b16, arguibly the best b-series motor. Really, it's based on what kinda setup you're lookin' to run. But I've also heard that runnin' the b17 crank in a cr-vtec you'll get close to 1.75 rod/stroke ratio. Never tried it or anything, not too big of a fan of Frankenstiens. But i know for sure that there's guys here in Texas that have been running an ls/vtec setup for 2 years now. Don't think it can run for more than 100,000 miles but they've still got plenty of time left to get their money's worth out that motor. So if ls/vtec is what you want to do, don't let no one tell you it can be run reliably, cause i think 2 years with no major problems is pretty reliable. Just make sure you know what you're doin' when you put it together. And i recommend the skunk2 manifold to anyone. It helps... And don't be like some foolz, I've seen them rollin' around with a nitrous or turbo oil return line. That's so retarded... Just make sure what ever you wanna do is what you're satisfied with for the long run... Dats all.