::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2001, 08:21 PM   #1
hondapower

99civicsi b16a2 into a del sol

I have a 93 del sol si with a d16z6 and a total loss 99 civic si with a b16a2(usdm). I want to put the b16a2 into the del sol but have a couple of questions about the wiring and the ecu. So here is the deal. I know that the del sol is obd 1 and the 99 si is obd2, thats were the problem is. I have talk to a to a few about it, but no one seems to know any hard facts. Here are the options I have heard.
1. one source said I should use the del sol wiring and a 94 to 95 gsr ecu.
2.Doug at honda data said i should use the del sol wiring changing over all the sensors that would not match the b16a2.(ex the injector clips are different, will the del sol injectors work on the b16a2). Then let him modify the del sol ecu to run the b16a2.
If anyone has done this or know of someone who has and can tell me if the del sol wiring will work on the b16a2 I will be greatful. Or what the best plan of action is please let me know.
Old 11-12-2001, 01:42 AM   #2
OneDopeTeg

Skunk2 has an obd1 to obd2 conversion wiring kit. This kit turns your obd1 plugs into plugs that will fit into the obd2 computer....I believe jdmhondaparts.com has a similar wiring kit. Ohterwise there are two options.....convert everything to obd2 (add the necessary sensors and such as well as wiring) or get an obd1 ECU.
Old 11-12-2001, 01:45 PM   #3
slowEJ6

if the engine is OBD II, to be a completely legal swap wouldnt he have to convert the car to OBD II? im not sure about that, since i live in FL and dont really have to worry about it (my car is OBD II anyways and so is the engine). im jw though.
id say just rewire everything to be obd II, but thats just me.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 07:56 PM   #4
OneDopeTeg

Yeah if he was in Cali....the law here says that if you swap an engine....you must swap all of the smog equipment from the same model year as the engine....that means sensors, ecu, plugs, wires......everything down to the very last detail.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:02 PM   #5
slowEJ6

i dunno how the law is in GA......but even if you could get by w/o rewiring, id do it anyway just for peace of mind. but thats just my way of thinking.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 10:18 PM   #6
hondapower

Thanks for answering. I live in Ga and there are no emission tests or enforcement, maybe in atlanta. There is all kind of junk on the road here. Just so you would know I have both cars the del sol is a total that I am fixing and the 99si is the one with the motor but it is fire damanged. The ecu and part of the motor wiring is burnt, but I have a ecu form a 2000 si. Still no 99 civic wiring. I got the 99 cheap at a sale.($1000). Thats why I would like to use it. I have be told I could use the del sol wiring which is obd1. I guess what I want to know is if I took off all the wires of a jdm b16a and all the wires of a usdm b16a would they be the same if so it seems i could use my del sol wiring. That is i would be able to keep it obd1, i heard its a lot of trouble to change to obd2. Besides I would have to buy the correct wiring harness. Not that i wouldnt if thats best. What do you think. Again thank you.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:16 AM   #7
B18C-EJ1

Baaaahhh...........

Take the SI engine, go buy a 94-95 sol Engine harness, add a couple of wires and call it a day.

Yes, you can put it in your sol, but you'll need to do a bit of work for it.

It's not that hard.

Lata.
Old 12-09-2001, 05:07 PM   #8
DRAG Boosted Si
The Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by hybrid3do0rcx
i dunno how the law is in GA......but even if you could get by w/o rewiring, id do it anyway just for peace of mind. but thats just my way of thinking.
the law here in GA is pretty much nonchalant about everything....people just do what they want to an all....theres no sort of Emissions tests here to pass::
DRAG Boosted Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 08:23 PM   #9
hondapower

I, the person that needs help already knows the laws in Ga i specified that in my last post but thank you for answering. I know that I can put the si motor in my del sol and i know it will be some work, but i have worked on cars my whole life, Im also an auto body tech and have connections at a honda dealer (I receive a 25% discount, body shop price). So in light of that what i want to know is as states above. Allthough i sound harsh, i really thank all who have tried to help.