Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2002, 12:48 AM   #1
doownek
1st Gear

90 accord EX speedometer Q.

ok, so im leaving skool today, and i notice my speedometer is not working.... and im dooing about 45 mph, but it reads zero....hmmm i did not look at the speedometer when i left the college, i just looked down about a 1/2 mile away, so i dunno if it did not work at all, or just stoped working all the sudden. all other guages worked fine. hmmmmmm i said to my self, so i pulled over, pulled my key out, and counted to 10, started it back up and the speedometer worked just fine!..... i have NEVER torn into the dash or anyting, so i dunno why it all of the sudden stoped working on me! i been driving it like i have done everyday for like 5 yrs now... never done anything that (would/should?) effect the guages...... so i dunno what happend. it working now, so lets see if it does it again..

has this happened to anyone? and any known reasons? im stumped.... any help appreciated!

doo
doownek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 12:55 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well something similar happened to me in the cold days. i was driving in a parking lot @20mph and my speedo was like 75-80mph. i would say it is the sensor

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:03 AM   #3
Maxvla

notta to me and i have the same exact car. just a fluke thing.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:21 AM   #4
Smitty90acc

That happened to me a few years ago, except it would happen at least twice a day consistantly. If I remember correctly, it was the speed sensor integrated into the transmission computer. They replaced something that cost about $300 CDN and it never happened again. I'll have to check my receipts to make sure of what it was though...
Old 04-16-2002, 04:04 PM   #5
doownek
1st Gear

well crap! it happened 3 more times today, and the last time the "check engine" light lite up :-(

i wonder whats wrong with this thing! hey smitty, could ya check that reciept and tell me what it was... and do you know if its something i could replace, or am i ganna have to take to the shop.. also what 300 canadian in US$ thanks for the help
Old 04-16-2002, 10:58 PM   #6
NooNz

Quote:
Originally posted by doownek
also what 300 canadian in US$

its approx. 200 US$...
Old 04-20-2002, 02:59 AM   #7
doownek
1st Gear

i did some research, and come to the conclusion it is the Electronic Speed Control, sometims referred to as a VSS sensor thats at fault. i did some more checking and the local auto parts store wants $220 buks for it. i decided to see what the local honda dealer wants for it....Honda said they are $140. does 140 seem reasonable, or can i get it cheaper someplace else? i belive i can replace the unit myself, and if i cant, i got a mechanic buddy that said he would donate the labor costs at his shop if i need help. so hopefully i will get it fixed soon.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:56 PM   #8
Maxvla

good luck! let us know if it fixes it.
Old 04-21-2002, 02:48 PM   #9
cbrennan

The 90 accord speed sensor is on the rear of the trans just above the inner cv joint. Look down past the thermstat housing(follow the lower radiator hose to it's end) There are two parts to the speed sensor, the mechanical and electrical. The electrical mounts on top of the mechanical and is held on by two 10 mm bolts. Your speed sensor also has power steering lines going to for the variable assist.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:17 PM   #10
doownek
1st Gear

well, if anyone cares, i got a ESS from honda today, and had my mechanic friend put it in for me, and well, problem solved!!

thanks for the help
Old 04-25-2002, 10:22 AM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by cbrennan
Your speed sensor also has power steering lines going to for the variable assist.

that explains my hard steering. how hard was to change it ? and i don't see the reason for the mechanical sensor because the dash is all electric. no cables going into, but wires. is the mechanical one for the power assist ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote