::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2002, 01:15 PM   #1
bootstrap

best subs out?

what are some really good 10" or 12" inch subs out right now, i'm not sure what to get, i already got a rockford 350*2 amp
Old 07-30-2002, 01:41 PM   #2
ShEaNy

get rockfords man..by buddy has two 15's in his car...good lord..i seriously have to put my head out the window sometimes.. cause my ears are hurting from the bass....there the dual voice coil overs..or something like that..lol im not to into systems...put it just POUNDS..even his 12's before that were crazy... FOSGATE all the way man....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 03:19 PM   #3
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by sheany_91accord
there the dual voice coil overs..or something like that..lol

LMAO

dude you just made my day!

HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 03:44 PM   #4
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

Personally, I don't like fosgate products. Their product line has went down hill the last few years, IMO. I like Kicker and JL. It all depends on what your going for. Deep bass or clean, tight bass. Good luck!!
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 05:44 PM   #5
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sheany_91accord
there the dual voice coil overs..or something like that..

LOL... now those are some interesting suspension options jfwy btw.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 09:18 PM   #6
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

no such thing as a best sub..

tell us exactly what you want.. we'll help from there..

Old 07-31-2002, 04:29 PM   #7
ShEaNy

BAH I told U!! i was talking about the SUbs! not the damn suspension GRRrr lol im an idiot when it comes to this system junk i got my tape deck and thats all i need dual voice coils? CAN SOMEONE HELP? lol
*gives up..and walks away*
Old 07-31-2002, 04:32 PM   #8
ShEaNy

AHAHAhaha sorry i had just to laugh cause i read what i put up there in the second post and i almost started to cry cause i was laughing so hard LOl;....
Old 07-31-2002, 04:38 PM   #9
insomniac_91

I would suggest if you got the money go get some JL"s W7's they are loud as I don't know what. They just came out don't know what to compare to but they are hella loud.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:47 AM   #10
azn_nite_ryder

the best hitting subs by far by personal experience (that i had in my car) were the Earthquakes and the JLw7 series.... my bud has 1 10" JLW7 and hes hitting about 142Db on 1 10"!!!!! but then you'r spending about 1200 CDN for that sucker......
earthquakes just makes your heart stop pounding.... i like em both....
Old 08-07-2002, 08:41 AM   #11
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

if you'Re considering W6, then go with W3.. it has a higher potential max. Gotta be in a vented enclosure though..

Old 08-07-2002, 07:06 PM   #12
fadednite

for 10s. go with JL W3s series. They actually just came out with an even better W3 model!
Old 08-07-2002, 10:19 PM   #13
Grip72

If you want a decently priced sub i really like my 12" Alpine Type R Dual Voice Coil subs..they are about $300-375 CDN each. I have two in my car and they pound like crazy. it shakes our house and makes tools fall off the hooks in the garage, (that's when i'm parked in the driveway too) GOod LuCk
Grip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 01:31 AM   #14
wickedcivy97

i ahve 2 10inch alpine type-E's .. i got them for 100$ for a pair... dont ask how lol. i have 300 watts going to each one at 4 ohms and they hit super good.. for 100$ pair of subs u cant go wrong. they r the same model at the type-S but jsut last years model so u can find them cheaper.. the specs r exactly the same .. alpine told me personaly lol.. hope that helped

-wickedcivy
Old 08-14-2002, 01:09 PM   #15
black95gs-t

Just out of curiosity, did y'all see that he said he already has a Fosgate 350x2 amp? If you want to go out and buy a new amp, get the speakers they were talking about. If you want good clean sound with the amp you already have, a good choice would be the JL 12W0. If you get 2 you can wire them to 2 ohms and have nice clean crisp sound.
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:50 PM   #16
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

Personally, i wouldn't put Fosgate in an Enemies car, let alone a fellow import enthusiest.. Fosgate has gone down hill since they started mass producing crap. Their designer even ditched them and went to MTX, hence MTX's new found kickassness (or something to that effect) I have 2 MTX Amps in my car, and my Kicker 12 Solo Barics ROCK my hatch... and i have a good crisp sound when i need to... or want too..
The MTX Thunder8000 that i have powering my subs i bought for around 450 i think.. not to bad.. and certainly better than your RF, unless that is an old school amp which im not so sure it isnt.. if it is.. i retract my previous statement and im goign to go sit in the corner and sulk

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 03:46 PM   #17
bootstrap

in a perfect world i'dd probably listen to you people, but since my budget is restricted and i am banking on getting my friends discount at bestbuy to buy these subs (i'm getting hte pioneer 8400 deck tommorow), it looks like the Rockford HE2 subs for me
Old 08-14-2002, 08:06 PM   #18
black95gs-t

I' agree with the Fosgate quote, but MTX is not that much better. However, if you are on a budget, have a hook up, or already have the amp, it is rather foolish to go out and buy all new stuff. The HE2 is definatly not a bad sub. It all depends on your taste and listening ear. As far as reliability goes Fosgate stuff is fairly reliable. I personally don't like them because I am an audiophile. The vast majority of society can't tell the difference though. It takes some practice, alot of listening, and much trial and error to find what is good for your taste.
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 11:35 PM   #19
bootstrap

Hmm which would be better.. to get lets say, 2 lesser subs or one really good sub. I don't have enough money for both. I have a 700 watt amp, is there that much of a difference with only one sub, or if i got a good one (i guess JL's are good), will it sound even better with just only one? Lemme know.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:50 PM   #20
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

how much do you have for subs?

Old 08-22-2002, 11:56 PM   #21
bootstrap

well i have close to a grand now.. BUT, i need enough to buy subs, an enclosure, dynamat and to install it, with a couple hundred left over.. i guess i'm willing to spend 400 on subs alone, but that alot of money so less is better.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:21 AM   #22
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

check this out..

kicker com vr 12s for 80$ a piece.. in ported box with enough power, they are awesome..

http://audio-trader.com/

i dunno anything about this dealer.. just popped out in the search.

Old 08-23-2002, 01:08 AM   #23
bootstrap

so is this a good buy? i guess the next question is, what is a good ported box to get
Old 08-23-2002, 08:29 AM   #24
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

I'm never to sure about US prices.. But I think I'm 95% sure that this is an awesome price.. But like I said, please dont buy from there just becuase thats the link I posted..

Now that you know what subs you possibley want, search and find a dealer that has a good price and who you can trust..

About the box, you dont buy it, you build it. Or you have it built to the specs of those subs.

Old 08-23-2002, 09:57 AM   #25
bootstrap

where can i have it built???
Old 08-23-2002, 11:35 AM   #26
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

any car audio shop.

or read up on the matter at hand, and lear how to build.. Though you'll need to be very precise in your work.

Old 08-26-2002, 08:04 AM   #27
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Get one 15 inch L7. What kinda car is it going in? I love Solobarics. Probably one of the hardest hitting subs Ive ever owned. Which doesnt say a whole bunch since Ive never owned the really expensive JLs or anything.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:30 PM   #28
bootstrap

Well i got my system insalled... i got one 10" kicker L5 with the custom box from kicker, the 700 watt rockford amp, pioneer 8400, and 4 3-way pioneer speakers... Its exactly what i wanted, and it sounds really really good
Old 08-28-2002, 11:38 AM   #29
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

So the L5 sounds pretty good huh? Ive been looking at them. I wonder how much different they are then the L7s
Old 09-18-2002, 11:44 AM   #30
guprestyle
1st Gear

If you want a LOUD system, then go with jl w7, or kicker L7, but you would need a 800-1000 watt amp for those. With you amp, you would be better off getting w3s or comp vrs.

guprestyle
2002coupev6
guprestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 01:15 AM   #31
Sponjah

Do any of you know any other brands besides Kicker or Jl or RFG? Those are just run of the mill subs. If you want the best or something hand-crafted to your exact specs., get a BA Inhuman sub. The owner can build to the withstand 5-10k RMS! Plus they are not much more than a Kicker L7 15" Or even Brahma subs are a great choice. Enjoy your enlightment!
Old 10-20-2002, 03:00 PM   #32
GSteg

Quote:
Originally posted by Sponjah
Do any of you know any other brands besides Kicker or Jl or RFG? Those are just run of the mill subs. If you want the best or something hand-crafted to your exact specs., get a BA Inhuman sub. The owner can build to the withstand 5-10k RMS! Plus they are not much more than a Kicker L7 15" Or even Brahma subs are a great choice. Enjoy your enlightment!

i was just about to say the same thing! also look into the elemental design. their k-series (presales end to day (sunday) ) has better sound quality and SQ than the kicker compVP, JL audio W3, blah blah blah. surely it won't compete with the W7, but thats what the SP series are for

i can also get my hands on the blueprint 1503 for only $175 (regular price is $239.99) they are basically the same as the Resonant Engineering HC series, but only come in 4ohm SVC. very loud sub.

i would never buy RF, unless they were the Power HX2. but for the same price (maybe a tad less), i can get a Lightning audio Storm that would kill the HX2 in SPL and SQ(well sounds better).

i would buy the JL W7, only if the price was half of its retailed price. great sub though. i don't know why so many people at my school think JL is god. this one guy has 2 W0's and thinks people always say that he has the best SQ system. the pioneers my friend has hits smoother and reproduces the frequencies the W0 would never do (well barely).

ah yes, the Kicker L7. what a great SPL and semi-SQ sub. how much do the 15's go for? the brahma should be a great match for it. they will take more gobs of power and sound better. and you know what? they'll even take small sealed box too!

i was visiting a BA dealer couple weeks ago and there was a customer who had a 10" inhuman installed in his car. quad coil with a JBL 1200.1 to each coil. it was in a big ported box tuned to 30hz. did i mention 4 spiders on that thing? so many people laughed at the guy saying his sub won't compete with the big buys like the JL W6 and kind of subs. well what did you know, this guy laid down a 154dB in his hatch. next plan is to get 8 Nakamichi PA-8001 amp and strap them together. should be seeing over 10K watts.

sorry for going off-topic
Old 10-20-2002, 09:50 PM   #33
bx_integra

there is no "best" subwoofer out there...it all depends on which subwoofer....which amp powers it....if you bridge everything correctly....if it sounds good in your car or not...I think subwoofers sound better in hatchbacks...juss my opinion....I dont know about anyone else but i think a pretty freakin' good subwoofer that is out there are Kicker Solobaric S12L7...juss my 2 cents...

Kicker solobarics...
Attached Images
File Type: gif s12l73_4rs.gif (10.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 11-09-2002, 11:06 AM   #34
andy_reynold28

I heard that in Coupes and saloons you have to put the back seaats down to hear the bass clearly.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:27 PM   #35
illusion

for best bang for the buck, Elemental Ks, for medium end Adire Brahmas. Don't get me wrong I love my solobarics, but times have changed.

oh and andy, even if I put my seats up the bass will kill the back seat passengers.

Old 11-13-2002, 11:25 AM   #36
matthew17

Phoenix Gold

Wheres all the Phoenix Gold People...

I have 2 12Inch Titiniums.. they are amazing for SQ.

IF you want SPL and sloppy then forsure kickers etc.. will do ...

but SPl is only good for shows etc.. im more of a sound quality man. hitting only around 145DB with amazing quality..

is my goal... check out phoenix gold.. they have amazing amps

but phoenix is very pricey.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:59 PM   #37
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Re: Phoenix Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by matthew17
Wheres all the Phoenix Gold People...

I have 2 12Inch Titiniums.. they are amazing for SQ.

IF you want SPL and sloppy then forsure kickers etc.. will do ...

but SPl is only good for shows etc.. im more of a sound quality man. hitting only around 145DB with amazing quality..

is my goal... check out phoenix gold.. they have amazing amps

but phoenix is very pricey.

Kickers will do?!

Thats probably the silliest thing I read today..

You might want to keep an open mind and continue reading up on the matter..

Old 11-15-2002, 04:19 PM   #38
R32'nMEM

In response to the question, I agree whole heartedly with Accord Man. There is no "best sub out", It'll be the best sub for you. Either you'll want tight accurate bass for the Sound Quality aspect of music or the exaggerated notes and carry of Sound Pressure. For me, I truly can't decide, so there are a few alternatives out there that handle both EXTREMELY well:

Cerwin-Vega! Strokers(yeah, they're old...but it's doin' the job still), Image Dynamics IDMAX, JL Audio W7, surprissingly to me the Kove Audio Armageddon, Eclipse Titaniums, etc.
But the sub of choice for me was the Digital Designs 9515. This sub did a 170.1 ON THE DASH at a Db Drag comp. in TX last yearwith only four DEI 1100d's on it. It gets crazy loud but here's the cool thing, it it so transient in response it can pretty much hang with TRUE SQ subs, the Utopia from Focal for instance. And DD would rather be known as a musical subwoofer company than just an all out SPL monster.

The guy also is the one and only guy to break 170 legally with one 10" woofer, so you don't have to have walls of subs to get loud, just build the box to spec first and then trial and error to see which dimension sizes yeild the best results.

So, my best reponse would be to try and figure out what type of bass you're after, and do research on what subs can do what: considering space you have for the enclosure, power you have available, and of course...budget.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:15 PM   #39
joey m

GET 10" KIKERS THEY ARE THE BEST BUT IF U HAV THE MONEY GET THE SQUARE ONES ULL DEF. APPRECIATE THE SOUND.I HAV 2 10" KIKER IN MY ACCORD N IT RIPSSS
Old 12-09-2002, 08:40 PM   #40
jeq214

I don't know much about SQ or SPL, but if it all depends, what sub would be great to match with my jbl bp 600.1. I listen to rap, hip hop, and r&b most of the time and i love it when the bass hits hard and then slowly fades. I just bought the 12 kicker comp vr, but i haven't tried it. will this give me what i want? oh yeah, i have a 1.2 ft3 sealed box. if not, what do u guys suggest?