::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2001, 03:58 PM   #1
tightteg52

wIRING

After my recent crap w/ my car and it being an auto i've decided i want a killer sound set up. problem i have minimal knowledge about audio but would like to purchase and install my own setup looking to up grade components and install 2 10" subwoofers question is how hard would all this be??? and can anyone here either give me instructions or direct me to the right spot?? also will i need to upgrade my alt cause i dont see waiting for it to die to be a smart option comsidering that might leave me a little stranded!! Any and all help would be kewl. thanks in advance
Old 12-17-2001, 04:23 PM   #2
tightteg52

I'll also need help picking everything i might need a new HU but im unsure right now (dont ask) i want to keep it to a decent price nothing into extreme prices but no crap stuff. To help in picking my stuff out i'll go ahead and tell you what i listen to.

Linkin park,Nelly,Ludacris,Outkast, alot of southern rap. so as you can see im very diversified(SP) in my music so please help if ya can
Old 12-19-2001, 12:08 AM   #3
tightteg52

thanks for all the help guys but seriously ca anyone help me????
Old 12-19-2001, 08:55 AM   #4
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Sorry.. Somehow I missed your post.

When you say killer system, what do you mean??

Loud or good quality sound or both perhaps??

How much do you want to spend?

About installing it yourslef, sure you can (if you know what you'Re doing, it isnt that hard). But for optimal results I wouldnt recommend it.

Alternator upgrade will depend on how *killer* you want your system to be. For usual applications, an alt upgrade isnt totally necessary.

HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 05:42 PM   #5
tightteg52

basicly loudness AND quality no point in one without the other. money im not too worried about i just wanna do it over time you know. id rather do it myself and save money on intsallation no point in paying someone else to do something like wiring a system up.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:51 AM   #6
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Actually, there's a big point to having someone install your system who knows what they're doing. Any trained chimpanzee can connect positive to the + and negative to the -. However, a good installer can take any equipment you give them and make it sound good. On top of that, any system requires a certain amount of tuning to get the most out of it. You wouldn't build an H23VTEC, install it into your teg, and tune it yourself, would you? Of course not, and audio is no different. A good installer will have the training, tools, and experience to do the job right and get the most out of your system.

As for product recommendations, gotta have a budget to work with. I can piece together a very good sounding system with quality components for as little as $1000. In general, you should generally budget an additional 25% for installation.

Finally, you shouldn't need an alternator until you get into the big systems- usually anything fused for 150+ amps. Until that point, you can generally get by with capacitors.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 05:00 PM   #7
tightteg52

ok well im gonna do it a tax return time and i'll be looking at $1400 please include HU,front and rear speakers,2 10" subs amps and caps if needed. thanks a bunch guys!
Old 12-20-2001, 07:46 PM   #8
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Any particular reason why you're going with 10's??

Old 12-21-2001, 05:11 AM   #9
tightteg52

i fifure i listen to music that hits quickly and figured tens could play back the quick hits faster then 12's but if im wrong hell fix it please you guys are the gurus!!!
Old 12-21-2001, 05:45 AM   #10
tightteg52

also judging of your guys consistancy you will ask for preferd brands. i went to the local audio shop w/ my friend. the products they carry/recomend are jl audio for subs/speakers phoinex gold for amps alpine for hu iasked the mfor a more out there setup of what i asked from you guys including install and all neceasarry xm radio equipment $1480 seemed reasonable and the guys where very helpfull but i think im gonna go w/ this stuff you guys fill in w/ your own suggestions and comments.

2 12's JL i believe they are 250 watts rms
2 6 1/2's JL upfront (right size for 94 integra???)
2 6x9's in back (right size for 94 integra???)
sufficent amps
caps if needed
HU lookin for Alpine i saw good looking alpine for 299 while i was there had cd-r playback.
And also very important a 10-12 disc cd changer1 nothing less then 10 .
Keyless entry is 99.95 installed there gonna get that also.

if you would change anything or could fil in the blanks please do. Als ohow do you think that would sound??? would i have ANY room left in my trunk not neccasry but would be nice seeing how this is my daily driver.

EDIT: also dynamat i've out grown racing so i dont minda the weight were would you guys recomend it licnse plate,door panel,trunk anywhere else??

EDIT: also what kinda box would you guys recomend sealed or ported like stated i listen to a lot of loud/deep stuff and lots of stuff that hits fast!
Old 12-21-2001, 09:43 AM   #11
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Dear Modest Moderator,

The subs you mentionned are probably the 12W3 (250w rms).
Those are great, but if you want them to slam, you need to go with a ported box.

For the front you could use 6 1/2, even if ya had 5 1/4 stock speakers. You'll be using components right? Its worth the extra cheddar! But for the rear beware, If you drive a sedan, then you have 6 x 9s, otherwise you have 6 1/2s.. You could cut out the right size, but I dont really sugges it. You'll fine sticking with the 6 1/2s.

For powering the subs, 400-500 watts would be safe. If ported, dont forget the subsonic filter.

I suggest a 1 or 1.5 farad cap, just to protect your electrical system.

Dynamat, you put whevever you need. You're not competeing right?? So just put it where the car rattles, or lets too much noise pass. I wouldnt do the entire car, cause thats a lot of weight!!

Old 12-21-2001, 10:35 PM   #12
tightteg52

k sorry but things just kinda changes. talk to a good friend of mine hes done a few audio installs and has his own system which is pertty nice if i say so myself. so instead of going to a local audio shop im gonna or off the net cause of price and website suggestions are MORE than welcome i like crutchfield just to check stuff out but the prices are outrageous. so thanks for the help again ya'll
Old 12-23-2001, 10:44 PM   #13
tightteg52

TTT
Old 12-24-2001, 09:18 AM   #14
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Funny..

http://www.hondastyle.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=513

Old 02-21-2002, 08:59 PM   #15
seanjuan

i don't listen to much linkin park but i have a very large and diverse music collection and have found a setup that is very good for it. it's a little smaller than what you are going for but this is the sh_t i would recomend.

Kenwood Excelon HU (alot of great features for adjusting sound and lots of power to run speakers off of)

Boss audio speakers (i have 6.5" in the rear and 5.25" components in the front, they sound great and are inexpensive)

Kenwood amp(s) they are very clean and provide alot of power

Visonik subs (i have one ten inch running off of a 150watt kenwood mono amp and it sounds great for any type of music)

you can find Visonik setups with multiple subs in Visonik boxes for a very good deal online

my whole setup cost around $600 and it is amazing
you could go bigger and easily stay under $1000

BTW
i wired mine up on my own, never done it before and it still sounds great, but i do agree that someone with alot of expeirence could make it sound much better
but you can save alot of money doing it yourself and it is pretty easy, just spend the time to make it look good and don't cut corners with wiring. spending extra for good wires makes a big difference

good luck

Sean
Old 02-22-2002, 09:12 AM   #16
BrandonClaps

Quote:
Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg
Actually, there's a big point to having someone install your system who knows what they're doing. Any trained chimpanzee can connect positive to the + and negative to the -. However, a good installer can take any equipment you give them and make it sound good. On top of that, any system requires a certain amount of tuning to get the most out of it. You wouldn't build an H23VTEC, install it into your teg, and tune it yourself, would you? Of course not, and audio is no different. A good installer will have the training, tools, and experience to do the job right and get the most out of your system.

As for product recommendations, gotta have a budget to work with. I can piece together a very good sounding system with quality components for as little as $1000. In general, you should generally budget an additional 25% for installation.

Finally, you shouldn't need an alternator until you get into the big systems- usually anything fused for 150+ amps. Until that point, you can generally get by with capacitors.

couldn't have said it better myself, well except the capacitors part,

CAPS SUCK! Do not use a cap cause you want extra power, or you want your lights to stop dimming. Caps are for SQ systems for a little extra punch on peak notes. If anything at all, get an additional battery, possibly 2, drycells into your trunk. This will completely isolate the cars battery with the systems.
Old 02-22-2002, 09:23 AM   #17
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by BrandonClaps

couldn't have said it better myself, well except the capacitors part,

CAPS SUCK! Do not use a cap cause you want extra power, or you want your lights to stop dimming. Caps are for SQ systems for a little extra punch on peak notes. If anything at all, get an additional battery, possibly 2, drycells into your trunk. This will completely isolate the cars battery with the systems.

Partly ditto..

But there is another important use for caps. Isolating the power supply. When playing loud, and your amps has to generate the wattage to play a higher than average load of material (generally bass), instead of striking directly on the alt, it'll take what it can from the Cap, and the rest of the load is what the Alt needs to deal with.

So its kind of a protection for the Alt. Even for those with HO alts. Cause we know, an alt cant instantaneously produce required amperage.

Old 02-22-2002, 10:01 AM   #18
BrandonClaps

but caps drain in less then a second, they weren't meant to give it power constantly for more then a second. They were meant for just quick peaks in SQ systems.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:06 AM   #19
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
but caps drain in less then a second, they weren't meant to give it power constantly for more then a second. They were meant for just quick peaks in SQ systems.

You're totally right dude.. I never said the opposite.

I was just stating another use for it. The short delay that the cap produces minimizes the shock/load on the alt. It gives time to the alt to adjust.

Old 02-22-2002, 10:13 AM   #20
BrandonClaps

o i c, i didn't know where u were goin, but if you use multiple battiers ;D yay, u should have to goto the alt often
Old 02-22-2002, 10:13 AM   #21
BrandonClaps

i think
Old 02-22-2002, 12:37 PM   #22
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
o i c, i didn't know where u were goin, but if you use multiple battiers ;D yay, u should have to goto the alt often

Did you mean, if I had multiple batteries, then I wouldnt need to goto to the alt often?

If so, then no, you wouldnt.. But if you have a very big system, unless you're driving around with a dozen batteries in your trunk, you'll have a to charge them every few minutes. And for the charging time, you cant really run your system. So its isnt a sustainable forme of power.

Thats why I dont like it.

Old 02-22-2002, 02:16 PM   #23
BrandonClaps

how often do you play your stereo really loud at a certain frequency for a lengthy period of time? Like batteries always have the power, of course if your going with a crazy system 2,000 watts and stuff you'd wanna get a new alternator, but what people don't know, is the ratings on the amplifier are at different rpm's and most higher amp alternators have a LOWER amount of power at idle then stock. So that means u'd have to do 3k-4krpms to get the higher output, so if your parked you gotta rev your engine. know what i mean? Thats when you get into multiple alternators.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:19 PM   #24
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Agreed!