::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2001, 07:46 PM   #1
ced_jr10

need upgrade help

hello all. i'm thinkin' about swappin' my '91 crx's stock D-whatever block for a 1st gen. b16. there's a great site regarding the swap in the crx forum. look for racing rice. now to the point of this string. what are some of the basic, and some of the more complex upgrades i can make to my crx that would increase it's performance capabilities? (exhaust system, headers, intake, turbos, etc.) any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2001, 01:11 AM   #2
slowEJ6

1st B16's are plentiful, good choice.

as for mods, you can do anything to a B16A do0d.
i suggest an AEM CAI (unless youd rather spend $40 on a K&N drop in which nets MAYBE 2hp less, which is what id do). DC makes great headers.....but if yer going turbo then well, dont need em. also, i suggest the drop in K&N if going turbo cuz the CAI isnt necessary in that case.

venom cam gears are OK! camshafts are plentiful, but stock work just fine for turbo apps. lowering the compression is a must if you want to run turbo and a good amount of boost. sheesh, there are so many things. what direction are you heading? NA or FI (supercharger, turbo), or nitrous?
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 06:06 AM   #3
ced_jr10

i'm leaning more towards a turbo setup w/ a nitrous system back-up. can the 1st. gen b16 take that? also, when running turbo, i don't need to look for an intake or headers? i'm tryin' to squeeze as much power out if this engine as i can. thanks.
Old 12-17-2001, 03:08 PM   #4
slowEJ6

yeah the 1st gen can handle it with a lot of internal work. you'll need to lower the compression and beef up the internals quite a bit so that the motor can handle high boost AND nitrous.
you can get any intake system you want, just the CAI's benefits arent as great on a turbocharged car so i wouldnt go blowing your money on an AEM when you can just get a short ram and add a CAI.
also, be sure to choose a quality BOV. www.turboxs.com has incredible BOV's. most think "oh hey thats loud, i like the whistle" etc etc. a BOV should sound like a loud sigh of sorts, not chipmunks giggling (due to the fact they are not made as well and serve more of a "sound" purpose than a "performance" purpose).
also you'll probably want to run a nice 3" cat back system (not sure if you want a cat on there or not, but if so 3" that badboy as well).
electronics come in many forms, blitz makes a GREAT boost controller, its so easy to use, on the expensive side since its EBC (electronic) and not MBC (manual). but damn its wonderful, and you can set it with 2 diff settings (one for street, one for race).
GReddy gauges are also pretty good investments, Blitz and APEXi as well....and of course autometer which will probably run you the least amount of money. unless of course you like real lit up gauges then there are the units from VELOX which light up diff colors and such.
you will really have to spend some time on the dyno to get everything working properly and in unison to get the most power.....remember its important that all yours mods work well together, not that they do amazing crap all on their own.
if you have any other questions feel free to hit me up on AIM (hybrid3do0rcx) anytime and ill be glad to try and help you out.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 12:33 AM   #5
OneDopeTeg

haha....some denso iridium spark plugs which work awesome with turbo apps....vtec controller....I think cams are good....Crower makes cams for turbos....cams gears at least so you can fine tune the timing (minimum 4 bolt gears....5 bolt optimal)....upgrade the fuel system if you are gunna go turbo....high flow injectors....FPR with guage....fuel pump....3" exhaust (thermal R&D)....the stock internals are pretty damn tough but for serious boost upgrade. Tons to do.