::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2002, 07:48 PM   #1
fastasfoggy

bikes

anybody here have a sportbike? i have been drooling over my brothers friends bike for like two years...its a 99 gsxr 750 with low miles(5500) and is in perfect condition...i know the kid really well and i know he has taken good care of it and has never brought the front wheel up, or the rear...well anyway...he bought a cruiser, and is selling the bike....he just had a kid and had to buy a house.....buttttt this is a quick bike, and ive only had dirtbikes. has anyone here ever started with a 750? my plan was to buy it and take lessons at the local track, i got my license from the msf course, but this bike is so clean man everytime i see it i get that old feeling like i wanna jump on it and wreck it, no wait just ride it. and if you would be interested in the bike tell me too...its only 5500 which is a steallll its the last gixer with the dial guage for the speedometer( from what i hear)....thanks ive got pics too
Old 09-18-2002, 11:14 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well i think 750 is a bit too much for starters. a 600 is more domestic, but still dangerous

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 12:16 AM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Any sport bike is a lot to start with. You just need to take your time and learn to ride well. Don't get too cocky on the road, etc. An R6 is one of my fav's (though I don't even ride ). Still extremely fast though.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 01:11 AM   #4
mylittlecivic

my brother n law had a honda crotch rrocket lol thats what they call it anyway it was lots of fun but now hes got it all torn apart so i havent got to ride on it in awhile, i'd like to get a dirt bike someday......

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 07:09 AM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

The GSXR is a great sportbike.

You would probably be ok on a 750, you just need to be very careful, and always respect that bike. It owns you. When you think you own it, itll kill you. Just keep that in mind. Its the same way with any motorcycle.

Check insurance first. You may change your mind afterwards.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:42 AM   #6
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

the biggest first bike i would get would be a 600. im gonna ride my friends 250 twin cam dirt bike a little and apparently it will smoke a r6 in the dirt how a r6 runs on pavment (he does 0-75 in 2.9 seconds)

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 08:48 AM   #7
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by 4thGenlude
the biggest first bike i would get would be a 600. im gonna ride my friends 250 twin cam dirt bike a little and apparently it will smoke a r6 in the dirt how a r6 runs on pavment (he does 0-75 in 2.9 seconds)

Ive heard from many people that a 750 is actually a little easier to ride then a 600. Since it weighs a little more it feels more stable going down the rode. Ive never rode a 750 so Im not sure how true it is.

Its not the size that counts its how you use it.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:37 AM   #8
Mushroom

gixxer750 is a good bike - it's a ton of power, especially for starting out, but if you ride it carefully and safely (and can afford insurance for a 750 with plastic) then it'll do fine. Is 5500 miles for a '99 really that low? - lots of people buy bikes (esp sport bikes) and only ride a couple days a week, with not much highway - shouldn't be hard to find '99s with 2000-3000 miles on 'em. If a bike is broken in right, milage shouldn't be much of a concern anyway.

I disagree with Racing Rice - once you're moving, the stability is much more related to rake than weight - e.g. any sport bike will feel basically equivalently stable. A heavier bike is more difficult when you're riding slowly (as you learned in msf.... riding fast is easy, slow is not) because you can't muscle it around. Regardless, if you take it easy, practise the tough stuff and don't abuse the power (oh, so easy to do...) a 750 won't kill you.

~shroom
'00 SV650
Old 09-19-2002, 10:02 AM   #9
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

Ive heard from many people that a 750 is actually a little easier to ride then a 600. Since it weighs a little more it feels more stable going down the rode. Ive never rode a 750 so Im not sure how true it is.

Its not the size that counts its how you use it.
actualy i was talking about a 250 twin cam dirt bike engine. fully built by edelbrock. lets just say he owns supercross

Old 09-19-2002, 10:08 AM   #10
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:

actualy i was talking about a 250 twin cam dirt bike engine.

I know..

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom
I disagree with Racing Rice..

Thats fine, like I said. Thats just what Ive been told by other riders that have ridden both 600s and 750s. I was kinda refering more toward more stable when its windy or you pass a Semi. Not cornering.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:48 PM   #11
fastasfoggy

im six foot three two does that matter i wonder? and seriously im taking it to the track first..but i think insurance is insane even with the msf course ive taken...so anyone know of a 600 for sale? this bike is so pimp though..thanks for the input
Old 09-19-2002, 11:48 PM   #12
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i dunno about anywhere else.. but in florida if you have over 12k life insurace, you dont even need to insure the bike...

Old 09-20-2002, 07:29 AM   #13
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
i dunno about anywhere else.. but in florida if you have over 12k life insurace, you dont even need to insure the bike...

Hmm that wouldnt be so bad.

Being 6'3 you should be fine. I have some friends that are about that tall and they dont have any problems at all.