.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
sicones

dvd ripper

I have been searching the www now for about an hour I downloaded like 3 programs which all suck, Im trying to burn a regular dvd movie to a dvd-r does anyone have ANY program that works, which are freeware but dont any any limits or time on them???
I DLed DVD Cloner, this one worked but you had to pay $40 to get the other half of the movie to burn
then I DLed some other crap that just converts to a mpeg or avi to the hard drive.
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=DVD_Decrypter

DVD Decrypter owns you. If you're downloading your movies, it's can't burn .vob projects but not too many people share in .vob format anymore. For a .iso file you can't beat DVD Dercypter...especially since it's freeware. If you've got a good DVD burner (say 16X) it should take about 15 minutes to rip AND burn a DVD (it has .iso read and write modes). With an 8X drive maybe 20 minutes. It will also bypass any anti-copy stuff if you have the DVD because that stuff is bullshit. It's pure freeware ownage. It's just a shame it's no longer being developed further.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
Robert
R-Tard

To rip and burn a dvd properly you will need the following programs:

anydvd 5.7 or higher
DVD decrypter
Dvd shrink
nero

After installing the programs follow instructions below.

1. Insert DVD and use DVD decrypter to put the files on your HDD
2. Use DVD shrink to compress the video file to your desired conditions
3. Use nero to burn the files to a DVD

Entire process takes about an hour per dvd.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

One hour? You'd be insane to wait that long (no offense Rob, but that's waaaay too long). Just rip and burn with DVD Decrypter UNLESS you have a DVD-9 source (dual layer DVD...they won't fit onto a standard DVD-5 disc unless you use DVD Shrink...in which case you'll need that program. I think I've used it twice in my life and I've ripped/burned well over 100 DVDs...once for my copy of "Hero" and again for a copy of "Chappelle's Show"). It's a good prgram to have handy just in case, but certainly not necessary. There's no need for Nero if you have Decrypter since it also has a write mode (click on "Mode"-->ISO-->write to write a disc) and will burn .iso files perfectly. Remember...a .iso file is just a virtual image of any given file (much like a .bin file, but more detailed) so any program that burns them should burn the same as any other program. Plus if you want to use Nero for free (without cracking it), it comes pretty neutered and has lots of useless clutter. Decrypter is very straight forward and, in my opinion, better and more powerful anyway. Just rip the image to your HDD, switch modes, insert blank disc, burn away.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 01-22-2006, 07:50 AM   #5
Robert
R-Tard

I'm ripping DVD-9 disk and burning them on DVD-5.

You probably aren't doing what I'm doing. These are all feature length films, ripped to only have the movie on the DVD-5 and anaylsted to have the highest quality possible.

Since I've ripped about 500-600 DVD's in the last year or so I would consider myself an expert on this. This is the best way to do this if you watn the highest quality of video play back.

Time
rip to hdd 10-15mn (8.7GB)
COmpress film (4.3GB) 2-35min
burn (5-8min)
Print DVD lable (3-4min)

AS for waiting, you dont have to watch the entire process. Thats whats great about computers. Rip a bunch, and compress a bunch. DO it all over night.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:58 AM   #6
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Well if you're using a DVD-9 source then using DVD Shrink is a necessity unless you have a burner capable of dual layer DVDs (which I do). I'm talking about regular old DVD-5 stuff. You don't need all the fancy shit for DVD-5...especially since the majority of DVDs out these days are still DVD-5. I still don't see the njeed for Nero, though. Like I said, too much clutter, not enough power. DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink would work just fine for a DVD-9.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
sicones

this is so fuckin annoying, first I spent half an hour converting it to a "File F" then I noticed that cant be burned with this program, then I converted it to the .iso file and now the program wont recognize that there is a dvd in my burner, and my other burning software that came with my computer says its the wrong media, I bought regular TDK DVD-R 8x is it because my burner is a 16x???? WTF!!
Old 01-22-2006, 04:04 PM   #8
sicones

ok I think I figured out the media thing, I had DVD-R's I just went back to circuit city and got DVD+R's
so now that wonderful DVD Decripter program just screwed up my computer twice, both of my disk drives totatly dissapeared from My Computer like they never existed, thankfully I got it back using the windows restore....freeware NEVER ceases to amaze me upon how it always somehow fucks up your computer

I'm still open for a program that works, Im gonna look for another DVD ripper that looks like a widely used "up to date" program, and then download Nero.....
Old 01-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by sicones
ok I think I figured out the media thing, I had DVD-R's I just went back to circuit city and got DVD+R's
so now that wonderful DVD Decripter program just screwed up my computer twice, both of my disk drives totatly dissapeared from My Computer like they never existed, thankfully I got it back using the windows restore....freeware NEVER ceases to amaze me upon how it always somehow fucks up your computer

I'm still open for a program that works, Im gonna look for another DVD ripper that looks like a widely used "up to date" program, and then download Nero.....

Weird. I've never had a single issue with it nor has anyone I know who's tried it. Maybe it just didn't like your drives. *shrug*

I always thought that whole media thing was fucked up, too. All drives you see these days say DVD +/- R/RW but they almost always work with one or the other...not both. Mine pretty much only takes +Rs as well. It won't even try on a -R disc. False advertising, I say!

Old 01-22-2006, 10:54 PM   #10
Grip72

i'm having the same problem
i used to use just DVD srhink and it would do everything for me fine...then it just stopped working perfectly!

it'll burn the dvd but it won't play in my home dvd player anymore...it sucks
Grip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:11 AM   #11
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I hate when that shit happens. Did you try a simple uninstall/reinstall? Like I said, my experience with DVD Shrink is pretty limited since I don't like compressing the source unless it's absolutely necessary.

I have a program that I paid like $20 for a long time ago called CopyToDVD mainly for it's .bin capabilities. It won't burn .iso files (only .vob), but maybe they've updated over time. The major down side is that it WON'T copy any copy-protected DVDs. Slysoft's AnyDVD might work. Maybe CloneDVD. You'll eventually have to pay for it, though. Most DVD copy stuff is trialware at best. Just go over to www.videohelp.com or www.doom9.org for listings of programs. Videohelp is especially good since it has all of the tutorials on how to use the stuff once you've got it and has great program reviews, download mirrors, and product info.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:10 AM   #12
sicones

Well I just got DVD Shrink to work it created what I think is a .iso file, and I had to shrink it anyway to fit on my dvds, then I just used this cd buring program that came with my computer and it works fine, If I were to download a dvd from the internet (7gb is fuckin nuts, how long would that even take on cable??) what file format would you dl it in, .iso????
Old 01-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #13
Robert
R-Tard

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
Well if you're using a DVD-9 source then using DVD Shrink is a necessity unless you have a burner capable of dual layer DVDs (which I do). I'm talking about regular old DVD-5 stuff. You don't need all the fancy shit for DVD-5...especially since the majority of DVDs out these days are still DVD-5. I still don't see the njeed for Nero, though. Like I said, too much clutter, not enough power. DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink would work just fine for a DVD-9.

Since you're wrong, where do I begin.?

1. 99.9999% of feature films sold in North America are on DVD-9 disks aka 8.7GB disk.
2. Even DVD-5 films are encripted
3. At 22c/disk I get a printable DVD-5 disk, I'm not interested in $2/disk DVD-9 disk.

Since some movies are DVD-9 and are actually that large it takes compression to bring the moving quality down in since. You can simply use dirty compression to bring it down in size or run the 'deep scan' to improve video quality with compression. So when you compress 7GB movies into 4.3GB it takes some time.

I've done a huge amount of research on these and my recomendation is:
1. Simpliest
2. Quickest
3. ensures the highest quality of movie play back.

Last edited by Robert : 01-23-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:54 PM   #14
Robert
R-Tard

Quote:
Well I just got DVD Shrink to work it created what I think is a .iso file, and I had to shrink it anyway to fit on my dvds, then I just used this cd buring program that came with my computer and it works fine, If I were to download a dvd from the internet (7gb is fuckin nuts, how long would that even take on cable??) what file format would you dl it in, .iso????

Most times when you download a DVD from the internet it either comes in ISO or .zip.

If you get it in ISO you can use a handful of programs to burn them. If you get a .zip you need to unzip and burn the files in nero or some other program that allows you to burn a DVD that will play on your DVD player.

Secondly most DVD's you download will be 4.3GB designed to burn on DVD-5. On cable here at 600kb/s it takes about 1-2hours to download. Though I get them from newsgroups.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #15
Robert
R-Tard

If you need software and have an FTP let me know. All the DVD software I use (except nero) you can get for free and never have to pay for it.

As for your DVD issue. If you're DVD burner is:
DVD+RW then you can only burn +R/+RW media DVD-5
DVD-RW then you can only burn -R/-RW media DVD-5
DVD+/-RW then you can burn both formates DVD-5
DVD+/-RW dual layer allows you to burn both formates in DVD-5 and DVD-9

I personally recommend the NEC3520A DVD+/-RW dual layer. They have firmware cracks that allow you tweak your burner to do some very useful features. It's burned a ton of disks for me with little to no issue.

If you keep having problems PM me, I can walk you through it.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #16
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Man...I don't know where you guys get your source material. It's an extremely rare case for me to get anything over 4.3GB...and just about everything I use is domestic stuff. Don't worry about the dl time...it's usually tolerable consideringthe file size. I've never used a newsgroup so I'm not sure how all that works...I just use bittorrent and usually max out around 250kbps on a really good connection. At that rate it takes about 3 or 4 hours. On bad connections I've just let it dl for 2 or 3 days sometimes. Yeah...that sucks.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:47 PM   #17
Grip72

is there a way i can like uninstall my entire dvd burner and try reinstalling it? haha
Grip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:59 PM   #18
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

You could probably do it through the add/remove hardware section...but I'm not even about to try and give advice as to how.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:10 PM   #19
sicones

weird thing, yesterday I burned my 40 year old virgin dvd in .iso form, works fine in my sony dvd player, but today I tryed playing it in my panasonic portable dvd player and it played once, then I tryed playing it again and it said (error: cannot read disk), what the hell is up with that???

Last edited by sicones : 02-02-2006 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:52 PM   #20
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Well...Blockbuster was the one who pioneered the original Divx format years back. You could play a DVD once and then it wouldn't work anymore. That didn't last long. After that programmers created the Divx codec to sort of mock Blockbuster's failure. Maybe they're back at trying something like that. That being said, I've always found portable units to have much flimsier firmware and are thus less reliable at non-commercial disc playback. Not always the case, but usually it is. But hey...if it works in your home player more power to ya. Some players are just picky about what they'll play and when.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:02 AM   #21
Robert
R-Tard

Quote:
weird thing, yesterday I burned my 40 year old virgin dvd from blockbuster in .iso form, works fine in my sony dvd player, but today I tryed playing it in my panasonic portable dvd player and it played once, then I tryed playing it again and it said (error: cannot read disk), what the hell is up with that???

Some DVD players perfer a formate, often its DVD+R but sometimes its DVD-R they like.

If formates not the problem, it could be relating to burned disks. Not all players like them.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:03 AM   #22
Robert
R-Tard

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
Well...Blockbuster was the one who pioneered the original Divx format years back. You could play a DVD once and then it wouldn't work anymore. That didn't last long. After that programmers created the Divx codec to sort of mock Blockbuster's failure. Maybe they're back at trying something like that. That being said, I've always found portable units to have much flimsier firmware and are thus less reliable at non-commercial disc playback. Not always the case, but usually it is. But hey...if it works in your home player more power to ya. Some players are just picky about what they'll play and when.

They aren't back at doing that again... man you have some weird notions.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:08 AM   #23
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert
They aren't back at doing that again... man you have some weird notions.

Hey...you never know. I once burned a VCD for a friend and it worked once and that was it. He thought I was fucking with him and usiong the original Divx format. Trust me...places like Cockbuster will always be trying to come up with new copy protection bullshit because the companies that they buy from don't want you to copy their shit. Besides...they pay out the ass for new releases and god forbid you copy that new release to prevent you re-renting it from them.

Old 02-19-2006, 03:01 PM   #24
thermal
Banning Machine

Steve, can I use the Decrypter to convert files from torrent to make it DVD so I can watch it on my DVD player? LMK bro. I DL that program but I havent a clue on how to use it. Thanks.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #25
Robert
R-Tard

Get dvd santa for converting files into DVD format.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:42 PM   #26
Robert
R-Tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT40FIED
Hey...you never know. I once burned a VCD for a friend and it worked once and that was it. He thought I was fucking with him and usiong the original Divx format. Trust me...places like Cockbuster will always be trying to come up with new copy protection bullshit because the companies that they buy from don't want you to copy their shit. Besides...they pay out the ass for new releases and god forbid you copy that new release to prevent you re-renting it from them.

I can confirm, you dont know what you're talking about. All major movie houses use the same protection that goes to their blockbuster DVDs, DVD's sold in stores and those rented and non-major video stores.

From what I've read they will intend to limit copying more with the new format by not selling burnable media of the same quality. Though even that will only take so long.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #27
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Get dvd santa for converting files into DVD format.
Is this free also?

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 02-21-2006, 08:09 AM   #28
Robert
R-Tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal
Is this free also?

Im sure you can find it somewhere for nothign.. I dont know about the legalities of it though.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:33 AM   #29
thermal
Banning Machine

I found it on isohunt.com

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 02-22-2006, 04:18 PM   #30
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I figured I'd check out that DVD Santa thing. Seems like a solid program, but very glitchy. It likes to throw around error messages telling you to shut down (at least on my comp).

1st file attempt: Kept getting error message so I gave up.

2nd file attempt: Worked just fine, although i have yet to try it in my living room DVD player.

3rd file attempt: Error message again but this time before I shut it down I went to the other room for a minute. Came back, error message was still there, but it looks to be encoding just fine. Go figure. I'll have to wait and see how it turns out (haven't burned the image yet).

Old 02-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #31
sicones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
I can confirm, you dont know what you're talking about. All major movie houses use the same protection that goes to their blockbuster DVDs, DVD's sold in stores and those rented and non-major video stores.

From what I've read they will intend to limit copying more with the new format by not selling burnable media of the same quality. Though even that will only take so long.

if they try to change burnable medias, once the copy protected DVD is decrypted and burnable, nero dosn't know the difference
i dont know, whatever

btw it seems like my burner only likes memorex DVD+R anyones burner picky???
Old 02-22-2006, 07:28 PM   #32
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

My TDK burner will only take +Rs. Haven't tried anything else in my new Sony, but I know it works with +Rs so I'm not gonna go out and buy -Rs just to see if it works. It all works the same.

And maybe the version of DVD Santa I got is just bad, but the 3 file I attempted to encode didn't go through either (I thought it would...guess not).

Old 02-22-2006, 10:57 PM   #33
thermal
Banning Machine

I gotta try it.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 02-26-2006, 12:54 AM   #34
thermal
Banning Machine

I'm lost here..... sorry, I dont know much about computer jargon....

DVD Ripper such as DVD Decrypter is burning programs right? Which means, copying a DVD disk to another disk right?

DVD Santa is a converting a movie to a DVD format which will allow me to convert and burn to a DVD disk right?

So what is the significance of the Decrypter?

Thanks........

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 02-26-2006, 01:14 AM   #35
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Well Arnel...not all conversion programs include a burning feature. DVD Santa does but some programs that I use like AVI2DVD (which rules and it's freeware so you never have to pay for it) don't. They're simply tools to help you convert and build a DVD. Change avi/ogm/mpeg/etc. files to MPEG2 DVD files, add subs, add menus and the like. AVI2DVD takes up quite a bit of space when converting files though since it makes both .iso AND .vob folders and also stores the converted video and audio in a folder. All told one project can take up 12GB. Maybe it won't if you make some changes...haven't messed with it too much yet.

DVD Decrypter is important since it will decrypt copyright protection. Suprisingly, it's pretty rare that a company will allow you to copy such discs when they advertise that they'll back up your DVD collection. Haven't tried a copy protected disc with DVD Santa so I don't know if it'll work around that.

On a side note, I'm about ready to forget about DVD Santa. It was so glitchy I emailed XY Software (the makers of the program). That was 4 days ago. Glitchy products combined with sub par technical support is just shitty. If I don't hear anything by Monday, fuck 'em. I really liked the program, too. I probably would've bought it if it had worked right or if someone had to told me what the problem was.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #36
thermal
Banning Machine

Thanks Steve! PM me your AIM! I wanna convert and burn files whenever I see you on it, so you guide me through... ha ha....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum