::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2002, 06:01 PM   #1
Civicfrenzy

trans question

ok im thinking of changing my transmission to manual. I cant just buy a new car right now with a manual b/c its not possilbe at this time. So i just want to convert it. But i am really hesitant even though i am dieing for it to be manual. Truthfully i am worried about the risk. The car was built an automatic so im wondering if it is bad to convert it. I know it will lower the value of my car but im not to worried about that b/c i plan on keeping the car for a long time. So my question is it bad to convert it. Like will it hurt my car or up the rish for some major problems down the line.
Old 05-19-2002, 06:16 PM   #2
GirlRacer82

it won't hurt it at all.

you'll be getting a new computer and all, so the motor will never know the difference. a few people i know have had the swap done and don't have any problems with it. Expect the usual clutch, manual tranny problems. I'm about to do the swap myself.

becca
Old 05-19-2002, 07:59 PM   #3
Grey16

Civicfrenzy what motor are you running now? If it is the stock motor I would just go head and do a swap and have the manual tranny put in at the same time unless you have your stock motor built pretty good and you want to stay with the SOHC motor.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:21 PM   #4
Civicfrenzy

what is the "usual clutch, manual tranny problems."????

Also right now my motor is all stock. But i am just doing the tranny swap not gona do an engine swap also. Cant afford it. So since it is all stock you still recomend it?

I guess im just paranoid about someone messing it up and causing me major expenses down the line.

I could use some more feedback on this b/c as u can see i know nothing about it. Thnx everyone
Old 05-20-2002, 05:59 AM   #5
slowEJ6

heres my opinion.....if you plan on swapping in about a year, dont bother with the 5spd swap right now.....its really not worth the extra hassle. in the meantime, do more research and find shops in your area that are skilled with something of this nature so you'll be MUCH more prepared when the time comes to do your swap.
however if you arent gonna swap in about a year and NEED to have that 5spd.....still take a couple months to find the best place.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 10:47 PM   #6
GirlRacer82

Quote:
Originally posted by Civicfrenzy
what is the "usual clutch, manual tranny problems."????

i meant like, clutch slipping after a lot of wear, blowing the tranny (considering you drive crazy) things like that.

if your serious about doing it, find a reliable shop to do it. It doesn't matter if the car is all stock. doesn't make a difference if it's stock or not. ultimately it's up to you.

Becca
Old 05-20-2002, 11:28 PM   #7
Civicfrenzy

I have heard that the value of the car will go down considerably if this is done? is that true?