::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2002, 10:48 PM   #1
HondaTypeJ

AEM Cold Air Intake...recommend?

I am thinking about going ahead and purchasing and AEM cold air intake for my 96 civic ex sedan. Does anyone recommend it? Where would I see the change after installation? Any vast improvement? Thanks for any replies.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:26 PM   #2
SWIFT

yup...you'll feel the difference, i mean for real! your car will pull harder like it gained abt. 20 horses...

reset ur ECU after install
Old 02-06-2002, 11:50 PM   #3
SiSpeed2000

I have it myself on mi 00' Si and trust me that has to be the best intake you can get...and yes do not forget to reset the ecu...
Old 02-07-2002, 02:37 AM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I have one on my Accord, and yes, I do recommend it. An intake alone won't give breathtaking hp gains, but I think you'll be happy you bought it. It sounds great also.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 11:36 AM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I have one.. Its ok, I dont know if Id waste my money on one again tho. Unless you have some decent mods done to it I dont think you see that great of gains. I cant really tell any difference.
Old 02-07-2002, 11:44 AM   #6
HondaTypeJ

ECU...

What is the ECU and how would I reset it? I dont think I have the know how to install it myself, so I figured I will take it to some local performance shop.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:54 PM   #7
slowEJ6

Re: ECU...

Quote:
Originally posted by HondaTypeJ
What is the ECU and how would I reset it? I dont think I have the know how to install it myself, so I figured I will take it to some local performance shop.
its sooooo easy to install do0d, shouldnt take you more than 25m!
hell ill give you a step by step as you are doing it if you want.....my friend just put an Injen CAI on his EX, seems cool.....i myself would be happy with just a K&N drop in for the price....cuz honda intakes are great things, yes they are.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:55 PM   #8
slowEJ6

the ECU fuse is what you remove.....ill take a pic if youd like later when i get home. you remove it, let your car sit w/o the fuse in for like 10m, put it back in start the car but DO NOT press the gas for another 10m....then shut your car off, make sure everything is snug on the intake again, start it back up and go
Old 02-07-2002, 01:02 PM   #9
VTC_CiViC

I've had the Iceman CAI, AEM CAI and custom CAI on my Civic, barley a difference if any from either of the kits. Get whichever is cheaper for you.. Injen had a pretty decent CAI too.
Old 02-07-2002, 02:53 PM   #10
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Its not a huge gain on a SOHC. I had one on my EX. However I would still recommend getting it if you plan on more than just that mod.
Old 02-07-2002, 04:25 PM   #11
SiSpeed2000

yes it is very easy to install and it will come with instructions...i reset my computer my disconnecting the negative side of the battery yerminal for about 10 minutes and it resets everything....
Old 02-07-2002, 06:33 PM   #12
clemson33

I was also thinking about an AEM CAI. Do you guys recommend the bypass valve? How do you go about attaching it to the intake? How far up should it be?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2002, 07:49 PM   #13
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by clemson33
I was also thinking about an AEM CAI. Do you guys recommend the bypass valve? How do you go about attaching it to the intake? How far up should it be?

Thanks!
bypass valve is good if you will potentially drive through deep water that could submerge your filter, otherwise its worthless imo. i believe you have to cut the intake pipe to clamp on the bypass valve.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:58 PM   #14
clemson33

Do the instructions tell you where to place the valve or does it matter?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2002, 08:00 PM   #15
slowEJ6

should be a pic on their website of where you put it......its before the bend to go into the fenderwell so.....probably 3/4 after the manifold is my guess.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:03 PM   #16
clemson33

Thanks, I found it. How do you go about resetting the ECU? Is it necessary?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2002, 08:07 PM   #17
slowEJ6

the fuse is in the engine bay.....near the battery in the fuse compartment. pull it out and let the car sit for about 10m, put the fuse back in and turn on the car but DO NOT press the gas for 10m. turn off the car, check that everything is fit snugly and correct once again, turn the car back on and go. its a good idea to do it