Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2004, 02:58 AM   #1
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

engine swap

i Have a 95 civic coupe. i'm thinking about swapping my engine in the future for a B sereies or possibly H series. I have a A/T which i'm assuming i would have to convert to a manual.my question to to you is, what engine would you recommend, and around how much would a complete swap and transmission conversion cost, for everything?
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:12 AM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

motor swap is covered on the "sticky". Tranny conversion could be tricky. The mechanical aspect is easy. All the mounts for the pedals are actually already there, so no need for drilling and crap like that. Get all the hydraulic components. Best thing to do is go to a junyard and play around to see exactly what you must do. I almost did this conversion a few months back for a friend...

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:27 PM   #3
Honda_Tengoku

some H22 reading on the EK Civic if u are interested....

http://forums.hybridgarage.com/showt...ear&Main=89089

Deciding on what engine to install is really on what comprimises u are willing to give up. The H22a is hands down the fastests swap u can do (excluding the K series), when comparing stock engines. Unfortunately the oil pan sits very low, a good amount of modification to the chassis as well as wiring, custom axles, very expensive, and AC will be a trick to mount (depending on mounts of course). Other disadvantages is cable trannies suck. They are not as positive notchy feeling as a linkage type tranny, as well as they have a very long throw. Its one of those things u have to get used to. Maintenance is a biatch. U cannot pull the tranny off the engine in the car!! The timing belt can be done in the car (very, very, hard, might be easier to pull the engine). On my EK with Hasport axles u cannot pull the intake manifold off without pulling the engine and tranny (I might be able too if I top half the manifold, going to try here shortly). The H22 swap is not for the weak at heart. I decided that the advantage of speed far outweighs any negative aspects that I have, and I am happy with the car so far.
Obviously the B series is a very easy swap (uses all honda mounts and axles), no modification to the chassis and gives up the fewest comprimises. The only real comprimise that u would be giving up is power on a B series. My H22 hatch pulls on ITR's like they are going out of style, and murders SRT-4 neons out of the hole and down the strip. So really the choice is yours here.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:54 AM   #4
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

^thanks for your input
Old 08-16-2004, 08:37 AM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

you dont HAVE to do a auto to manual conversion......but "us men" like to drive stick.
j/k
If you decide to go b16 or b18b both have an auto tranny available...so do a good number of H's
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:24 PM   #6
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

I See.I would prefer stick but If its going to be hard to convert and cost alot of money i would rather stay with A/T.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:27 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

the auto tranny would probably cost more than the mt one.
The conversion isnt that difficult just time consuming. Im not sure on a total cost but there are lots of threads on it out there (just not here so much) and info is easily obtained
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote