::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Body Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2002, 11:34 AM   #1
burtoperson

Tinted windows, question?

I want to tint my windows but i'm trying to find out the best way. I've seen that roll on stuff nut foesn't it bubble and peel after a while. I want a really dark black tint. And what's all those percents mean. what's the difference between 30% and 5%?
any ideas are needed!

Burtonperson
Old 08-29-2002, 01:13 PM   #2
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

This is the few things i would say to pay someone to do.. they know what your doing and you will screw it up... its REALLY hard to do... take my word for it, pay a shop

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 02:10 PM   #3
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

wel tinting isn't the easiest thing to do but once you learn it's not to hard at all. the big thing is cutting the tint and laying it on the outside of the windows to cut it to fit. Once the tint has been cut to fit the windo you have to remove the clar film from the sticky side of the tint. Once the clear is removed you then place the tint on the inside of the windows and begin to squeege out the air bubbles and all.

Now one thing I haven;t mentioned is to have soapy water on hand in a sprayer or squirt bottle. this will be used to spray on the tint when you remove the clear to spray the glue side of the tint to help you to be able to move it once placed inside the car and also you wouls spray the inside of the window as well.

I used a squeege to get out all of the bigger bubbles from the window then a hard card or license wrapped in a later of paper towes to work out the rest of the smaller bubbles.

there are a few steps that are involvd in doing it but if you want to learn then go for it otherwise leave it to a shop that knows how to and it might save you a little headache and some $ that you spend on the Gila tint from pepboys/super trac etc....

As for the 5%,20% 35% it all about the amount of light it's letting through. 5% only lets 5% light through..20% only lets through 20% and so on.

I do hope this migh thelp you out a bit and answer a few ?'s for you....
Old 08-30-2002, 10:27 PM   #4
spoogenet

Generally speaking the pro tint shops will have higher quality tints than most retail places will carry. Some of the shops may sell you the film, though. The higher quality films are guaranteed not to bubble, if you get them installed at a pro shop then you can get your tint replaced for free if it does bubble....

Tinting is a pain the first time or two, but is pretty easy when you get down to it. Definitely do read the previous post, it has very helpful information in it. One thing not mentioned was to clean your windows well before installing the tint, it helps to clean outside and inside, just to be sure....nothing more annoying than having dirt under your film.

One of the local shops around here use Johnson&Johnson baby powder, I believe....or maybe it was the baby soap. You don't need a lot of it in the water, they had told me their proportions once but I forgot them.

The pro shops also use heat guns to help make the tint bond and reduce the number of bubbles you get. Just make sure you use it on the outside of the glass, don't blow the heat gun directly on the tint.

If you do the install yourself, you will maybe get some water bubbles under the tint that will linger for a little while. Leaving it in bright sunlight as much as possible will expedite the process. The bubbles will eventually soak up and disappear, it's not the same as when you see old tint bubbling.

You also may want to check your local laws if you want Officer Donuts to stay off your back. In Austin, the minimum allowed on side windows of a car is 35%. For SUV's it's allowed to be blacked out totally on the rear side windows, but the front seat windows are only allowed to be down to 35%. Back windows are permitted to be blacked out totally. 20% is pretty dark. I've got 37% on all my windows, it's easy to see out of at night (although it does distort lights a little) and is dimmer during the day.

If you're doing it for looks, then get whatever darkness you want that's legal (if you care about that....). If you're doing it at all for heat, then get a high quality metallized film. The metallized films reject far more heat than traditional dyed films. The darkness of the film does NOT indicate how much heat it will reject since most of the heat is not due to visible light.

b
Old 09-03-2002, 06:37 PM   #5
HondaTypeJ

I took my car to the Honda Dealer and they did an awesome job for 150. I got the illegal tint though.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:21 PM   #6
spoogenet

Uhhhhh......that's odd. The price sounds great, but illegal tint at a dealer? None of the shops I spoke with around here would install anything illegal, it's their asses if they do the install.

b
Old 09-04-2002, 12:52 AM   #7
Spazum888
3rd Gear

wit the illegal tint you usually have to pay them in cash. if they do if they put the illegal tint... they dont put a sticker of their company on your door jam.... witch means you cant go and get it redone if it messes up... kinda like no recipte...

Girls are like internet domain names, the ones I like are already taken.
well, you can stil get one from a strange country :-P
Spazum888 is offline   Reply With Quote