::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2002, 12:22 AM   #1
maxpsi

Welcome me to the darkside!!!!

I'm now turbocharged! Can I get an amen? I have a few questions though............

I have the drag gen 3 kit for the B16.......
Am I only supposed to be boosting 4 psi (feels like it)?
Could my boost gauge be reading wrong since the vacuum line is so long and there are other things teeing off of it?
Should I be getting compressor surge while in vacuum and between shifts under boost (blitz bov set as loose as possible)?
If all is fine and I am only boosting 4 psi, would compressor surge matter (greddy kit comes set at 5.5psi w/o bov)?
The oil piping to my oil pan levels off for just a little bit, will that matter?
I have 3" piping running into my Ractive muffler which looks too small (maybe 2.25" inlet), will this greatly affect anything?
There is a sticker on the deltegate with a red 7 on it, what is that?
Anyone want to let me buy their thermostat that connects the engine harness (IAT)?
Instructions on what to do after replacing the TPS?
Where can I get thermal wrap (shiny) to protect my A/C lines?
My wastegate dump tube is skeeting all over my IC piping, should I get a custom piping extention and have it come out in front of the left wheel (like professional racers)?
EGT probe is in the DP, anyone know exactly how to read it in this local and on this application?
Old 12-06-2002, 01:50 AM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

WELCOME to the "darkside"!
hey man, do you have a B16 swap or you meant B16 drag kit converted to fit a D engine?
if i remember correctly, i think that the DRAG kit pushes 7 psi. that's what that red 7 mean on the deltagate. 7 lbs is the spring tension on the wastegate. you need to re-check all your piping clamps and vacuum line to ensure tightness. you may want to re-check the setting on your BOV. if it is adjusted right, you should not get any compressor surge OR at least MINIMAL. i still get some on mine. another thing to consider, if the BOV is maladjusted, it will release pressure under boost which MAYBE the reason for a 4 psi reading on your gauge.....but re-check all your vacuum lines first. a 3" exhaust piping is ideal even with a smaller inlet on the muffler. u can always get a different muffler later on. do not worry about that for now, it will still flow better than a 2.25 inch all the way. i say get an extension for that dump pipe. keep it away from the interccoler. expanding hot gas over an intercooler will reduce the effeciency of that intercooler.

GOODLUCK man

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 02:19 AM   #3
maxpsi

I have a B16 swap. I think the reason I am getting low boost is b/c my vacuum source for my wastegate is on my turbo not the intake manifold or charge pipe. All I have to do is adjust the wastegate for more boost. Only reason I would do that is if I was sure it would decrease compressor surge. I think the bov is adjusted as loose as possible. I really want to get rid of that compressor surge. You can't even here my Blitz bov. The only way I knew it was working is b/c I put my hand on it then pulled the throttle cable while the car was running. All it sounds like is a whoosh of air. Well if I never get rid of surge, it sure does sound good and a turbo rebuild I heard doesn't cost much.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:41 PM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
The only way I knew it was working is b/c I put my hand on it then pulled the throttle cable while the car was running. All it sounds like is a whoosh of air......
well, this will not be an acurate test. the reason being, the car has to be in gear (other than neutral) to create a load on the engine. you can press the hell out of that gas pedal but you it will not have the same effect as the car in gear.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 12-07-2002, 05:02 PM   #5
maxpsi

under load you can here a mix between bov and compressor surge. This might be due to the fact that at full boost I am at 4psi.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:57 PM   #7
thermal
Banning Machine

daym, that is some tite engine bay! anyway, i'm sure that you are aware that BOV should only go off when you let off the gas. your BOV maybe adjusted way too soft, that is why you're only reading 4psi....unloading during normal driving. it's worth a try....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 12-10-2002, 12:06 AM   #8
maxpsi

Well it was boosting at 4psi before the bov was adjusted then the same when it was adjusted as soft as it could go. This cut down on compressor surge a little. I think I am just going to have to up the boost like to 7 or 8 psi in order to get rid of this compressor surge (even though it sounds cool). People say my turbo is loud as hell (then they change there minds when they here my wastegate start to open up). Thanks for your help! I will let you know what's up since I will have time to work on it starting this weekend (SEMESTER BREAK!!!!!!!!).
Old 12-10-2002, 11:58 PM   #9
thermal
Banning Machine

take it easy max.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 12-22-2002, 10:24 PM   #10
Almighty-Si

I would scrape the Deltagate and get a Tial. I know some people that have bought DRAG kits and almost all of them had problems with the wastegate. Check the spring on the wastegate to see if it's set right.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:42 PM   #11
maxpsi

hoo rah

Who cares what the wastegate is set at! If I am running a 14.2 @ 105.33 on 4psi of untuned fury, who cares. Granted I need better tires than 185 firestone all seasons (looking at Falken Azenis). I also can't get my car into fourth gear, so I might be shopping for an ITR tranny soon. If I could reduce my current 2.5 60ft, don't you think I am a perfect candidate for low 13s or even a high 12 second pass???!!!
Old 12-23-2002, 12:51 PM   #12
Almighty-Si

Re: hoo rah

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpsi
Who cares what the wastegate is set at! If I am running a 14.2 @ 105.33 on 4psi of untuned fury, who cares. Granted I need better tires than 185 firestone all seasons (looking at Falken Azenis). I also can't get my car into fourth gear, so I might be shopping for an ITR tranny soon. If I could reduce my current 2.5 60ft, don't you think I am a perfect candidate for low 13s or even a high 12 second pass???!!!

Hmm....that's odd, you can't get your car out of 3rd gear in the 1/4 mile but you finish the 1/4 at 105mph? You have a special tranny there, finishing the 1/4 mile at 105mph in 3rd gear your car must top out at 170 or 180mph.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:58 PM   #13
Kyle
elyK

lol

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 04:43 PM   #14
maxpsi

Never said I couldn't get my car out of 3rd gear.
Never said my tranny was screwed up when I ran those times.
Ohh.... I see what happened. You got offended by my last reply because you thought I was being a smart@$$. Nope, that wasn't the case.
Old 12-25-2002, 01:02 AM   #15
Almighty-Si

Quote:
If I am running a 14.2 @ 105.33 on 4psi of untuned fury, who cares. I also can't get my car into fourth gear, so I might be shopping for an ITR tranny soon.

Unless I am reading that wrong it says that you finished the 1/4 mile in 14.2 seconds @ 105.33mph and if i'm reading that second sentence there right it says that you can't get your car into fourth gear in the 1/4 mile.
Old 12-25-2002, 08:11 AM   #16
Kyle
elyK

Quote:
I also can't get my car into fourth gear, so I might be shopping for an ITR tranny soon.

he didn't say in the 1/4 mile...

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 03:57 PM   #17
maxpsi

You are very observant, Kyle. That's right, I never said my tranny wouldn't go into fourth when I ran those times. Those times were ran at the track on Friday night. My tranny screwed up around noon on Saturday.

But anyways....... I will have to get that fixed first. I am right close to the top of fourth when I finish the 1/4 mile. I would have hated to see where I was at if I was still running the Si tranny. I will get some Falken Azenis and start modulating the throttle off the line. This should help lower my 60ft times and result in some crazy quarter mile times.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:27 PM   #18
Almighty-Si

So I was understanding that wrong, sorry about that.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:45 PM   #19
maxpsi

It's no big deal. At least you admitted your mistake. Most ppl on this board would rather continue bickering even after they know they are wrong.

But anyways, I need to work on my times. Some good tires and practice should help lower my 60ft. times a bit. http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?&id...739824#3739824
Old 12-25-2002, 11:40 PM   #20
Almighty-Si

Yea well, i'm not like most people, I can admitt it when i'm wrong.

As for your problem, I never personally owned those falkens but I have heard good things about them. I think that yokahama makes a good sticky street tire also, for some reason I can't think of the name of them at the moment. Lowering your 60ft will net you better 1/4 mile times but by the look of the time and trap you posted you're having a problem somewheres else down the track, probably wheel spin further down the track.

I think with some good tires and some practice with the launch you should be in low to mid 13's at a little over 100mph.