Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2002, 10:10 AM   #1
Deej

pistons for b18c1

sup guys,

i had a question, i'm going to replace the pistons/rods in my b18c1 with a je/crower combo and i want to lower the compression because i got a F-Max turbo kit.

1st question is on the size of the piston.. i want to keep the stock bore size (minor honing done) and was wondering what size pistons do i have to get?

I will be getting AEBS sleeves at a later date, can't afford it at the moment.

2nd question, F-Max sent me a thicker head gasket, can i use this in conjuction with the pistons to further lower it and have a healty setup? (taking that pistons lower from 10:1 to 9:1 and taking that a 8:1 - 8.5:1 = healthy turbo setup).

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:00 PM   #2
MrCLoWnY

Sorry I do not know the answer to the first quesiton.. However, Why don't you bore it out a little more and get some more displacement?...

ALso.. You can lower your compression more by adding the thicker headgasket but i think 8:5 is a little too low.. I mean you are able to boost more but you will also be losing torque....

I personally have mine bored out from 75.5 to 79 with JE pistons. ANd now my little 1.6 SOHC is 1.8 SOHC. ANd my compression is at 9:1.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:23 PM   #3
Deej

How much does boring cost?
Old 12-08-2002, 11:26 AM   #4
Boosted3g

dont use a thicker headgasket to lower compression. You will essentially be raising deck height and reducing the quench area in the combustion chamber. Your already buying pistons so jsut get what size you need.

As far as the piston size goes stock size will do you jsut fine. If you want to bore it out he furthest you can go is .020 with out sleeving. Just hone it quickly, only take the hone around for a few seconds. That is all you need. Then jsut drop the stock sized JE's in. I wouldnt lower your compression though unless you plan to run over 20 psi.