::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2002, 01:28 PM   #1
inspecta83

LS tuning question

im boosting a lightly built LS (valvetrain, rods, pistons, blockguard) with a CR of 9.2:1 and i just wanted to know what the relative difficulty is when it comes to tuning this setup. i only ask b/c i am having second thoughts about wether or not i should have lowered the compression (b/c i know that its easier to tune with a lower compression). i will be using a hondata 2B and would like to boost 12psi with a drag 3 kit.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:46 PM   #2
Dr Drew

You didn't really lower the compression. Your stock compression of the Ls is 9.2:1. 9.2:1 isn't too low.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:04 PM   #3
inspecta83

no..i didnt mean it like that, i think you misunderstood me...

i know that 9.2 is the stock compression, and i know that 9.2 isnt too low. what i dont know is what the relative difficulty is when it comes to tuning my above listed setup. i only ask b/c i am thinking that maybe i should have lowered the compression a little bit b/c i know that the lower the compression, the easier it is to tune. i will be using a hondata 2B and would like to boost 12psi with a drag 3 kit. thanks
Old 11-28-2002, 10:59 PM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

i see the confusion here:
Quote:
im boosting a lightly built LS (valvetrain, rods, pistons, blockguard) with a CR of 9.2:1 and i just wanted to know what the relative difficulty is when it comes to tuning this setup
did you mean that you replaced the pistons with an aftermarket one BUT still remained at 9.2:1 compression? it should not be too hard. the blockguard is not gonna affect your tuning. but overall, as long as you get your hondata programmed with your car's upgrade vice buying a used hondata 2b from somebody else. i mean, hondata is actually a somewhat tuning device.........goodluck man.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 01:08 PM   #5
inspecta83

yup...i bought a set of JE 9.2:1 pistons. not to confuse matters any but, what do you guys think about haltec as compared to a hondata? (i.e. does the haltec have benefits over the hondata? if so, are the added benefits worth the added cost? easier/harder to tune than a hondata? etc.) thanks
Old 11-29-2002, 02:49 PM   #6
Boosted3g

The Haltech is far superior to the Hondata in nearly every way. All i have seen is problems with the Hondata, we have quite a few units jsut laying around collecting dust. The Hondata cannot be matched as far a being the easiest to use ut then again it cant do nealy the things that other standalones can do. If you looking for a standalone that will plug in a do everything give the AEM unit a try. Its a little difficult at first but there are enough maps now that you can get it fired up and idlind without too much trouble.
Old 11-29-2002, 03:21 PM   #7
inspecta83

Quote:
Originally posted by Boosted3g
The Haltech is far superior to the Hondata in nearly every way. All i have seen is problems with the Hondata, we have quite a few units jsut laying around collecting dust. The Hondata cannot be matched as far a being the easiest to use ut then again it cant do nealy the things that other standalones can do. If you looking for a standalone that will plug in a do everything give the AEM unit a try. Its a little difficult at first but there are enough maps now that you can get it fired up and idlind without too much trouble.

what ways in general is hondata better than haltec? and what can it do that hondata cannot? also, what sort of problems have you experienced with the hondata system? lastly... i know with the hondata i have to get a 3 bar map sensor if i want to run more than 11psi...does this also hold true with the haltec system? thanks a million
Old 11-29-2002, 04:55 PM   #8
Boosted3g

With the Haltech you have the option of running larger injectors, Hondata is only capable of running 720s. The Haltech has the capability of running secondary injectors. The Haltech also is able to adjsut timing under nitrous activation and if im not mistaken it can also control several stages of nitrous. There are several other things that the Haltech can do while the Hondata lacks. As far as problems with the Hondata units we have had every one we sold come back at one time or anotehr. We purchased all the equiptment to do basically anything with the Hondata units but it is more of a hassle than an answer. When it all boils down to it Hondata is jsut a fancy baidaid. Sure people have gotten it to work and they will argue that it is the greatest thing ever but i have a dyno and have tuned nearly everything out there and the Hondata is far below par in my book. I personally run the Power FC in my car and it is good but there are a few things i dont like about it. I am switching over to the AEM unit very shortly and it will probable be in place with in early spring. If you are intersted in a damn good system i can send you a copy of the AEM software to play around with.
Old 11-30-2002, 07:31 AM   #9
Dr Drew

What is the cost differance of the Haltec unit, installation and tuning VS the Hondata unit ?? Do you retail Haltec; if so what are your prices ??
Old 11-30-2002, 10:39 AM   #10
Boosted3g

The Hondata is by far cheaper than the Hondta unit. Im not sure what the retial is on the Haltech i actually dont sell it. If i remeber correctly the price is right on par with the DFI which is right around 1500 bucks by the time you get the wiring harness and the right software. Another system to check out may be the new gen DFI. My buddy runs it in his car and its great. It will give you all the cool displays and everything instead of the basic screens that the Haltech will do. Both units however you will have to start a program by scratch.