::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2003, 01:37 AM   #1
black240silvia

What exactly do i need

What exactly would i need to buy if i wanted to put together my own turbo kit? i have a 1993 civic ex coupe.....with the sohc vtec motor..d16.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:09 AM   #2
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

d16 exhaust manifold, hp head gasket, intercooler, charge pipes, silicon connectors, bov (recommended), wastegate, turbo itself, boost controller, and the turbo itself. If you want to boost anything more than 5-7 psi, I'd suggest getting a VAFC or hondata .. not to mention beefing up your engine.

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:42 AM   #3
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Like Black240 said and I can't emphasise enough BEEF UP YOUR MOTOR. Aside from tuning, a stout shortblock is the best part of running a turbo motor, especially at hiogher boost levels. I'd go with either a large IHI or small (Garrett) T series turbo to ensure fast spool up and adequate CFM. A mid or big T series would give you horrible lag and not enough spool and KKK (no joke...it's a real company. They supplied Ferrari for a few years) turbos are probably a bit too small.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 03:16 PM   #4
Boosted3g

A lot off topic but

GT40FIED- remember a while back when we talked about me and my buddy building a 347 motor. We finally got it done and it ripps. He may actualy give me a run for my money this year. We have it running and tuned at a 200 shot and thats about as far as we can go on a 302 sportsman block. Anyways thanks for the stang tips you gave me a while back.

We have another engine we are thinking of doing when this one blows up. We are going to to the internals out of the block we have now (basically the probe rotating assembly) and throw it into a 351W blocka nd jsut get the custom 1" longer rods than what we have now. That will put us at a 1.88 r/s ratio which is close to the 2.2 ideal for a 2 valve motor. We are also thinking of taking it out to 60 over since the winsors have a slightly thicker cylinder wall if i remember correctly. That will give us a 352 with a major high rev range. We are probably going to turbo it and try to hang with some big dogs. Right now for this season anyways we are going to run the street ranegade class in the NMRA. Shoot me an email back if you run NMRA we will ahv eto meet up sometime.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:31 PM   #5
thermal
Banning Machine

These are the minimum that I recommend. Shopping list for you;
-Exhaust Manifold
-Turbo (T3, TDO4, TDO5, T25, T28, T3/T4 if you want higher boost potential)
-Wastegate (unless internal wastegate is already provided)
-Intercooler
-Piping
-BOV
-Oil lines (supply and return)
-T fitting and coupling for the oil lines
-Various vacuum lines and vacuum T's
-Possibly a boost controller (manual will be fine.... check out: www.boostvalve.com )
-boost dependent FMU or an electronic fuel enrichment device
-Turbo timer
-Boost gauge

There is more to it that this man. Keep doing research. Also, ask specific question vice general like this. I have a lot of custom turbo info for you. You can even use an 88-91 CRX/Civic pre-cat exhaust header as your exhaust manifold with a customized plate. Plan to spend money even with a custom project. Do not get too cheap especially with fuel enrichment...... Peace

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 10:22 AM   #6
black240silvia

Thanx guys hopefully this will get me started.....i wanted to eventually get this done like mid summer but then the other night i rode in my friends 240sx with an sr20dett motor swap..and it sounded like a dream and put you in your place....so i decided that i wanna get started on this a little sooner than planned.
thanx
Old 01-16-2003, 10:25 AM   #7
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by black240silvia
Thanx guys hopefully this will get me started.....i wanted to eventually get this done like mid summer but then the other night i rode in my friends 240sx with an sr20dett motor swap..and it sounded like a dream and put you in your place....so i decided that i wanna get started on this a little sooner than planned.
thanx

if you have a 240.. i'd say build that and dont worry about the civic. keep it as a daily driver. the 240 has more potential all around. oh, and its a sr20det... not dett

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:19 PM   #8
black240silvia

yea i had a lil slip of the finger with the sr20dett.....one two many t's
Old 01-17-2003, 03:04 AM   #9
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Thermalfi'd16 is right on with the T3/T4. Turbonetics sells a great hybrid.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote