::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2003, 05:42 PM   #1
91AccordLX

Turbo ancronyms and words

This list is for everyone who wants to install their own turbos but are still newbies like me and are stuck with all the acronyms and common names used with turbos. But since I don't know much about turbos yet, I'll start the list with the simpler ones To the pros: Please fill in or post any acronym/common phrases related to turbos that I miss
Maybe this can even be a sticky once there's enough!

FMU: Fuel Management Unit
PSI: Pounds per Square Inch
I/C: Intercooler
AFC/S-AFC: APEXi S-AFC= Super Air Flow Converter
APEXi V-AFC= VTEC Air Flow Convereter which is the same as SAFC but with VTEC controller. These are tuning devices.
EF: ?
SMI/SMIC: Side Mount Intercooler, just like the stock Eclipse intercooler
DSM: Diamond Star Motor, usually refers to Mitsubishi engines. Look closely at the Mitsubishi logo. It looks like a diamond star.
EGT: Exhaust Gas Temperature, which is measured immediately after the exahsut gas leaves the engine. Turbo cars usually reads it off the exhaust manifold.
IHI: Dont know exactly what it means BUT it is a manufacturer of a turbo. Commonly found on Ford Probes and various Domestic and European cars.
Flange: is just a connection spot on a piping system. An example is how your exhaust header is connected to your catalytic converter. The piece that connects the two is called a flange.
Please add what flange will work/fit with what turbo.
Down pipe: Pipe section that connects from turbo to exhaust system.
Charge pipe: Pipe section from the turbo outlet to the throttle body. The intercooler is also considered "charged" section.
SPFI/MPFI: Sequential Multi-Port Fuel Injection
Shaft Play: Loose/wobbly turbo turbine
Turbo models: Would really be helpful if everyone can fill in what turbo can handle how much boost, what rpm it starts to spool, when it gets to full boost, what size engine the turbo is optimal for, what make/model car a turbo is stock on. ie: T3/T4/CT26/TD04/etc.

Big Thanks to thermalfi'd16 for the extra info.
Boosted3g, please add what you can too
Old 01-13-2003, 06:36 PM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

APEXi S-AFC= Super Air Flow Converter

APEXi V-AFC= VTEC Air Flow Convereter which is the same as SAFC but with VTEC controller. These are tuning devices.

SMIC= Side Mount Intercooler, just like the stock Eclipse intercooler

DSM= Diamond Star Motor, usually refers to Mitsubishi engines. Look closely at the Mitsubishi logo. It looks like a diamond star.

EGT= Exhaust Gas Temperature, which is measured immediately after the exahsut gas leaves the engine. Turbo cars usually reads it off the exhaust manifold.

IHI= Dont know exactly what it means BUT it is a manufacturer of a turbo. Commonly found on Ford Probes and various Domestic and European cars.

Flange= is just a connection spot on a piping system. An example is how your exhaust header is connected to your catalytic converter. The piece that connects the two is called a flange.

Downpipe= is the pipe section between the turbine side of the turbo and the catalytic converter.
Quote:
Charge pipe: Intake pipe from turbo to Intake Manifold?
Almost........ The intake pipe of the turbo is not charged. The "charged" section is from the outlet of the turbo all the way to the throttle body. The intercooler is also considered "charged" section.
Quote:
Please add what flange will work/fit with what turbo
This is a hard question to answer. That really depends on the manufacturer. Given an example, a turbo made by GReddy will normally flange with a downpipe that they also made. If not, custom fabrication will be required.

More terms here: http://www.hondastyle.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=185

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 07:05 PM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Turbo models: Would really be helpful if everyone can fill in what turbo can handle how much boost, what rpm it starts to spool, when it gets to full boost, what size engine the turbo is optimal for, what make/model car a turbo is stock on. ie: T3/T4/CT26/TD04/etc.
This question is summarized on this thread:
http://www.hondastyle.com/forums/sho...&threadid=1149

To add to that thread, turbos have different trim sizes. A great example is the T3. Some of those turbo size come in a .48, .40, .60 etc.... Trim sizes refer to the sizes of its efficiency. Like if you hear the AR 60/48. That means that the compressor side trim is .60, and the turbine side trim is .48.

Spool time depends on the relative flow of the exhaust gas and the trim size of the turbine. RPM, engine displacement, and thermo dynamics are also involve somewhere in the equation. Boosted3g probably has the formula somewhere. On the other hand, spool time directly affects how long will the pre-set boost will be achieved.

Maximum boost and boost setting are 2 different things. Maximum boost is the highest pressure that the turbo (compressor) can achieve without being regulated by the wastegate. In other words, the highes boost the turbo is capable of. Boost setting is what the maximum pressure that the wastegate is allowing to boost.

However, I can tell you now that the TDO4h-15g like mine hits boost setting at around 4000-4500 RPM. It starts boosting around 2500 RPM.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote