.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2002, 09:02 PM   #1
Sivik

Ordered my turbo... what else do I need?

Hey guys,

I ordered my Greddy turbo for my 98 EX. I have the type S bov, autometer boost and a/f gauges, and turbo timer. I eventually want to boost 8-10, so I know I'm gonna need at least an intercooler, which I'll get next month. I know I need a bunch more things, so I'm asking you. I have a list for you to input on, and my first idea for each is in parentheses. Let me know if I should go with it or change it. I'm trying to stay on a budget as well. I would like to avoid the rebuild part altogether, but you can throw that in if you want. Thanks.

1) Wires? (Nology HotWires)

2) Plugs? (NKG, Denso, 1 degree colder)

3) Fuel Rail? (AEM)

4) FPR? (AEM, B&M)

5) Fuel Pump? (Walpro 255 lhp)

6) Electronics? (Apex V-AFC)

7) Head Gasket? (Greddy)

8) Injectors? (Venom, Zex)

Ok, I think thats it for now. Give me your thoughts.

My Car

My Car is for sale
Sivik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 01:51 AM   #2
Almighty-Si

Your best bet would be to go with a standalone for fuel management. Though your on a buget, by the time you buy a fuel, pump VAFC, and 450cc injectors you can pay for the Hondata. The extra money comes in cause you have to change over to OBD I so then you will have to get a new ECU and the wire harness.

Like I said above hondata would be your best bet but I have heard alot of people are having sucess with the 450cc and VAFC hack. I hear that it holds really well up to 10psi but anything after that it's suggested you get a standalone.

I am working on a kit for my Si right now and I was thinking about going with the VAFC hack but then I thought why risk it I might as well just get the Hondata now and get it over with, better to be safe then sorry.

If I were you I would run the stock boost level the kit comes with, run the piggy back they give you and buy the intercooler as soon as you can, then save the money for the standalone. With what ever you choose I would also suggest you not try to run 10psi without the intercooler cause either way you'd be looking for trouble.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:02 AM   #3
Dr Drew

This should give you a basic Idea of what you should use with what. It also lists some brands that I recommend.

turbo setups
Old 12-28-2002, 02:21 PM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

Do not boost higher than 5.5psi too soon. Get a feeling on how your car is taking it and monitor everything. As far as fuel mangement and since you are planning on boosting 8-10 psi, the safest way to do it is to get that walbro 255 LPH plus a set of injectors with a minimum size of 370cc. A stand alone is ideal but if you're one of those who prefer to tune your car yourself, then get that VAFC and a set of DSM 450cc injectors. That GReddy head gasket will help as well but not necessary as long as your tuning is adequate. I also advice to get the Nuformz block guard and a turbo timer.

Remember, the most effective way to increase fuel flow to the cylinder on a mildly modified car is to get a bigger set of injectors. With this in mind, I wouldnt worry about the fuel rail. An adjustable FPR is not vital neither but will give you tuning capabilities. Honda spark plug cables are well designed, so upgrade later. Trust me, I have the Nology hotwires and I feel no difference. I do however recommend a set of 7 series NGK plugs or any brand that is a step colder than your stock.

Lastly, please install all of these yourself. It's easy! Visit my website to get all the info you need. Save money........

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 08:24 PM   #5
Sivik

yea, im not planning on going higher than 5.5 until i get my intercooler. as for the injectors, i have heard many people have success with the Venom ones, and i really don't want to shell out the money for RC even though they are the best. as for the plugs, NGK plugs are the ones to go with? what is the stock temp range so i know which ones are the colder ones? And lastly, what is a Nuformz block guard?

My Car

My Car is for sale
Old 12-28-2002, 08:46 PM   #6
Sivik

ok another question... can anyone list everything I need to do in order to adapt the 92-95 kit for my 98 ex? i read a few things, but would like to know for sure. thanks!

My Car

My Car is for sale
Old 12-28-2002, 10:50 PM   #7
thermal
Banning Machine

Block guard provides strenghtening of the cylinder walls. It sits right below the head and head gasket. The way I look at it, since you plan on replacing the head gasket, you might as well install a block guard while the head is off. Block guards cost about $100.

To convert the GReddy kit to your car, you'll have to lengthen the wire on the primary O2 sensor. You also have to drill a hole for the IAT (intake air temp sensor) on the intake section like this:

Some people would just leave the IAT dangling in the engine bay. That is really a "shortcut" way to do it. I like my engine bay looking organized. Check my website for explanation. If you are going to use the blue box, then you'll have to convert the wiring by following the instruction/schematic on my web site. This link will help you out on your install:

http://www.thermal99.20m.com/photo3.html
Scroll down to get the schematic for the 96-98 civic OBD2 ECU.

that's really about it. You can also review the intruction I wrote:
Greddy install
Page1: http://www.hondastyle.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=105
Page2: http://www.hondastyle.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=106

I think the stock plugs are NGK 5 (or 6) series..... The higher the number, the colder it burns.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 03:17 AM   #8
pissedoffsol

Re: Ordered my turbo... what else do I need?

dont run more than 6 until you get the intercooler. you will detonate and go boom. thats bad.

1) Wires? OEM or NGK

2) Plugs? NGK 2 deg colder

3) Fuel Rail? OEM- aftermarket are useless

4) FPR? Get hondata and you dont need it

5) Fuel Pump? (Walpro 255 lhp)

6) Electronics? see #4

7) Head Gasket? OEM

8) Injectors? RC www.rceng.com