.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2002, 08:33 PM   #1
nightwalker627

Idle fast then slow

I have a 92 Accord Wagon with about 137K miles. The problem i have is when i start the car it idles like it should around 2K then after it warms up it idles around 1100 and up to 2000 then back and forth till i shift the car into R or D4. I have checked the ECU and the code it flashed was 14 which is the EACV so, I unplug the EACV and it idles around 1000 which it says to then adjust the Idle adjust which i did but nothing. Also reset the ECU and plugged back in the Electronic Air Control Valve and the idle jumps up and down still. I think I need to replace the valve but want for help with this before i go out and call Honda for a new valve????? Also it has a AT and i have already replaced the following parts, Water pump and all belts and air filter if it helps. Any help would be GREAT!!! Thanks

Nightwalker
Old 10-19-2002, 01:02 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

usually that problem is caused by idle set to high, or a vacuum leak. when you told me that after you unplug the IACV the rpms drop till about 1000 rpms that's too high. normally the idle should be around 700-750 rpms with the valve connected and 500-550 with the valve disconected. since you are already in the 1000 with the valve disconected it means that you have the idle to high. there is a screw on the tb, next to the 3 vacuum hoses on top, that will adjust the idle. play with it till you get to like 600 with the valve disconected and the engine warm.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 06:41 PM   #3
Dr Drew

Take off the IAC and check to see if the screen is blocked. Check to see if the rubber gasket is still soft. If they are ok. Spray the heck out of it with WD-40. There is a solinoid in there with O-rings that sticks sometimes. Spray inside it good and let it soak for a little bit. Then reinstall it and see what happens. A lot of time that will fix the problem.