::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2003, 01:23 PM   #1
accord98lx

!!!!!!!!Rims!!!!!

My rims finally came in. It looks nice on the car but I think I need to lower the car BADLY. It has like a 3-4 inch gap between the top of the tires to the fender. looks nasty..lol.

I dont think a 1.5f/1.5R spring will make it look low enuff so I think i'll have to go 2 inch drop (do I really need a camber kit if I go 2 inchs ?? I mean if I look at the tires and it seems even, I dont need the camber right?)

I was thinking of getting Eibach springs. I forgot whether it was the prokit or sportlines that have a lower drop. WIll the stock shock able to withstand for at least 6 months with the eibach?

will the tokico illumina springs and shocks combo work? I dont hardcore race or rally my car, I just need to lower it safely.

thanks, I need feedbacks plz....btw my budget for the springs and shocks are 500 (possible?) (I dont need coilovers considering the fact I have to get it aligned everytime I adjust it)

I'll post pics up soon.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:28 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Re: !!!!!!!!Rims!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by accord98lx
I dont think a 1.5f/1.5R spring will make it look low enuff so I think i'll have to go 2 inch drop (do I really need a camber kit if I go 2 inchs ?? I mean if I look at the tires and it seems even, I dont need the camber right?)

You need to get your car aligned after lowering it. You will then know if you need the kit.

Quote:
I was thinking of getting Eibach springs. I forgot whether it was the prokit or sportlines that have a lower drop. WIll the stock shock able to withstand for at least 6 months with the eibach?

The sportlines drop you lower. Stock struts with sportlines probably won't last too long. Also, if you're paying for labor, you should do the springs/struts together to save money.

Quote:
thanks, I need feedbacks plz....btw my budget for the springs and shocks are 500 (possible?) (I dont need coilovers considering the fact I have to get it aligned everytime I adjust it)

I'll post pics up soon.

500 for springs and struts won't get you a great setup, but it might find you an acceptable one.

And yeah, post those pics

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 03:03 PM   #3
accord98lx

a shop here offered me $600 groundcontrols coilovers installed. good deal???!?
Old 06-11-2003, 03:06 PM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
a shop here offered me $600 groundcontrols coilovers installed. good deal???!?

With no struts? That's HORRIBLE. You're paying almost $250-$300 labor I believe.

Old 06-11-2003, 03:13 PM   #5
accord98lx

hondamaniac..u wanna help me out here?? Ground Controls coilovers with struts for a decent price? btw, Im paying 150 for installation and 450 for the gc.

Old 06-11-2003, 03:14 PM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
hondamaniac..u wanna help me out here?? Ground Controls coilovers with struts for a decent price? btw, Im paying 150 for installation and 450 for the gc.

Send him a PM and he'll hook you up. With GCs you will need new struts though...

Old 06-11-2003, 03:21 PM   #7
accord98lx

U guys recommend Springs or Coilovers??

I dont need coilovers but the shop made it sound so good saying for $100 more, I can get coilovers (he offered the springs for 350). I dont kno how to adjust coilover nor do I like the fact I have to get it aligned everytime I adjust it.

ebay- theyre selling tokico illumina spring/struts for $300-$400. Are these "acceptable" meaning will they last 2-3 years? theyre only a 1.5 drop. What other kind of spring/strut combo can I go for $500 and below.

Thats hawaii for ya...everything here is a ripoff but I cant do anything about it. Order stuff online and the shipping price + the item would equate the price I pay at a local shop.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:23 PM   #8
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Well, you said yourself you don't need coilovers, you don't want to adjust them, and don't want to have it re-aligned, so I'd go with springs. That way you'll have a little more $$$ to get better struts. You say $500, but is there any way you could hold off and save up for a better setup, i.e. Koni yellow struts?

Old 06-11-2003, 06:24 PM   #9
accord98lx

koni yellow with what kind of springs?? Is it really WORTH IT compaired to kyb agx or tokico shocks? why is the koni yellow cost so much?? does it last longer or something?? my friends have gc coils with tokico shocks on his 4dr integra..smooth ride. Im pretty sure not everyone in here has koni yellow, if so,...what kind spring/shock combo are u guys running, is it smooth?

I really appreciate your help 94 accord ex but I hope I'm not annoying you with these questions. thanks.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:30 PM   #10
Honda530

I have the tokico shock and spring kit and its probably the best 350 i spent on my car. The ride is like stock, it looks a little lower got rid of some of my wheel gap, plus i dont need a camber kit.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:32 PM   #11
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
koni yellow with what kind of springs?? Is it really WORTH IT compaired to kyb agx or tokico shocks? why is the koni yellow cost so much?? does it last longer or something?? my friends have gc coils with tokico shocks on his 4dr integra..smooth ride. Im pretty sure not everyone in here has koni yellow, if so,...what kind spring/shock combo are u guys running, is it smooth?

I really appreciate your help 94 accord ex but I hope I'm not annoying you with these questions. thanks.

I can't say much about the tokicos, but I know that the agx are only designed to handle a 1.5" drop. If you're going with sportlines, which will drop you a little over 2", I'm not sure you'd want to risk that. If your friend likes that setup on the integra, I think it would be just fine on your Accord.

Old 06-11-2003, 06:52 PM   #12
ShEaNy

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda530
I have the tokico shock and spring kit and its probably the best 350 i spent on my car. The ride is like stock, it looks a little lower got rid of some of my wheel gap, plus i dont need a camber kit.

Really??? cause ive heard different from some people...im looking for good shocks right now..SOMEONE (a hem) is telling me Just konis...but i dont got that kinda cash...but yet hes prolly right still lol
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 08:01 PM   #13
accord98lx

Quote:
Originally posted by sheany_91accord
Really??? cause ive heard different from some people...im looking for good shocks right now..SOMEONE (a hem) is telling me Just konis...but i dont got that kinda cash...but yet hes prolly right still lol

you have a ractive coilover thats lowered more then 2 inches yet you are running on stock struts ... correct??? how long have you been driving like this?? is ur ride really bumpy??
Old 06-11-2003, 11:12 PM   #14
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

heh i heard from this board and others that the tockicos tend to blow. i don't have any personal experience with them thou. viva Koni yellows

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 08:31 PM   #15
accord98lx

Ok I Tokico illumina cost more then the HP because its adjustable.

What does "adjustable" mean on a strut??

BTW..Im going Sportlines with Illumina.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:03 AM   #16
Duckydos

Pics of Accord98LX's car with the new wheels:

-Ducky
Old 06-13-2003, 06:20 AM   #17
accord98lx

thanks ducky

now for that huge ass gap. i think i need to go 2 inches...the 1.5 wont do any much i think??? btw thats a 3.5-4 inch gap...

o yea..when someone says they have "5 way adjustable struts" what does that really mean?? they can lower the struts or something?
Old 06-13-2003, 07:26 AM   #18
Duckydos

Yea, it changes the ride height of the car, probably anywhere from 2.75" drop to .5" lift. Either that, or it means that you can change the amount of dampening. Most likely the ride height though.

-Ducky
Old 06-13-2003, 08:24 AM   #19
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

the 5 way adjustable struts change the damping of the shock, not the ride height. it might affect the reide height a bit but it won't be more than 2-3mm

Old 06-13-2003, 12:17 PM   #20
pbateson

Nice Rims! The weather in Hawaii is lame.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:46 PM   #21
accord98lx

Quote:
Originally posted by pbateson
Nice Rims! The weather in Hawaii is lame.

lol i took the pix at 6 pm...when the sun was out and it was starting to rain

btw, being that my accord is a 1998..so I guess the struts is in "good" condition..will a 2 inch drop on the stock struts last for 6months to 1 year?? Just a yes or no answer plz!!. (under normal daily driven conditions)
Old 06-13-2003, 02:07 PM   #22
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yeah, they will last.

Old 06-13-2003, 03:17 PM   #23
pbateson

Yep!

What about 1.75 or 1.35?
Old 06-13-2003, 03:49 PM   #24
ShEaNy

yea my ride is really bouncy...its past bumpy....its retarded...i need shocks badddd im just putting some OK gas shocks on soon and raising the car up to almost stock height till i save up
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 10:43 PM   #25
Duckydos

I installed H&R Springs, and my struts lasted just about 2 years. They could use replacing now (alot of squeeking and chatter). So yes, they'll last at least one year.

When installing, I would recommend leaving at least one bump-stop. I cut off all of mine (each strut has 3) and I think that may have contributed to premature wear and tear.

-Ducky