::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2004, 03:08 AM   #1
accord98lx

teins

my car needs new shocks soon so im wondering....is buying the tein basic coilover (comes with shocks) a good OEM replacement for shocks/struts? Does it ride better then stock shocks or good as shock struts? Is it easy to adjust the ride height? Can it be adjusted to stock height?

Reason Im askin is that my stock struts will probably blow soon and I dont have my stock spring....and the cheap ebay coilovers are pathetic (yes I regret it)...Its hard as hell to adjust the ride height...the perches dont twist as smooth....so I want to get rid of the ebay coilovers. Buying the full stock shock and spring from the honda dealer will cost me $800+. Tein Basic Coilovers comes with shocks and coilovers for $750 so I figured I might as well get the Teins. I need some insight guys.

Cliff notes: Need new springs and shocks.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:21 AM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Don't buy the basics. Add another $150-200 and get the Tein SS from Stefan. They are 16 way adjustable, height adjustable, etc. I love my set.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:39 AM   #3
accord98lx

how do u like your ride quality with the Tein SS? stock like qualities? Is it easy to adjust your heights? Why do you have to adjust your shocks for? I dont race or do any of that hardcore stuff...I just use it to cruise and go to school and work.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:58 AM   #4
vtracer20

damn.....that's alot of money
Old 01-30-2004, 09:05 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i'd go for the ss. you can dial in your level of comfort too.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
Honda530

my friend has them in his 02 civic and they are by far the best ride and ive ever been in. Its way better than stock. Bets teh hell out of my tokicos.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:52 AM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by accord98lx
how do u like your ride quality with the Tein SS? stock like qualities? Is it easy to adjust your heights? Why do you have to adjust your shocks for? I dont race or do any of that hardcore stuff...I just use it to cruise and go to school and work.

Ride quality: I have it set stiffer and its worse than stock. Softer and its comparable to stock. Its hard to explain actually. The setup is firm, which makes the tires hug the road closely. Bumps are exagerated, but normal driving is still great.

Height: Yes... remove tire, loosen collar, move, tighten, put tire back on.

Adjust: Damping. It makes a big difference how stiff the setup feels. Keep it in the soft range for comfort. If you load your car with people, set it stiff so it doesn't bottom out as easily, etc.

These things are good and I have them paired with a Neuspeed upper front strut bar, which made a big difference. Overall, my car creaks a little more than it used to though... might not have anything to do with the suspension, I haven't looked into it yet. You'll regret getting the Basics when you were so close to getting a GREAT aftermarket upgrade.

Old 01-30-2004, 02:09 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i heard ppl saying that the teins were better than the stock ride. ofcourse i got my koni and gc setup and the ride is a lot better than stock, except when my control arms are hitting the inner fenders. maybe i am gonna upgrade to teins in the near future after the boost the shit out of the f22 is complete

Old 01-30-2004, 06:59 PM   #9
accord98lx

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Ride quality: I have it set stiffer and its worse than stock. Softer and its comparable to stock. Its hard to explain actually. The setup is firm, which makes the tires hug the road closely. Bumps are exagerated, but normal driving is still great.

Height: Yes... remove tire, loosen collar, move, tighten, put tire back on.

Adjust: Damping. It makes a big difference how stiff the setup feels. Keep it in the soft range for comfort. If you load your car with people, set it stiff so it doesn't bottom out as easily, etc.

These things are good and I have them paired with a Neuspeed upper front strut bar, which made a big difference. Overall, my car creaks a little more than it used to though... might not have anything to do with the suspension, I haven't looked into it yet. You'll regret getting the Basics when you were so close to getting a GREAT aftermarket upgrade.

yea but do I REALLY need to adjust my dampers? As far as I know, the only difference between the basic and SS is their adjustability. Basically, I dont wanna pay an extra 200 bucks for my shocks to be "adjustable"....Saving 200 bucks to me is....ALOT..im only 17 years old...I work part time....
Old 01-30-2004, 07:31 PM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
yea but do I REALLY need to adjust my dampers? As far as I know, the only difference between the basic and SS is their adjustability. Basically, I dont wanna pay an extra 200 bucks for my shocks to be "adjustable"....Saving 200 bucks to me is....ALOT..im only 17 years old...I work part time....

I really think you do. I didn't check to see if these have the same spring rates either. What if you shell out $800 and they are too soft for your liking? Too stiff? What are you going to do?

Old 01-30-2004, 11:28 PM   #11
accord98lx

hmm....maybe you're right....how often do you adjust your dampers?

btw. keep in mind that basically, Im looking for OEM replacement for stock/springs but at the same time, I want my fender gap to be a little. I DO NOT autocross or anything like that.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:33 PM   #12
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
hmm....maybe you're right....how often do you adjust your dampers?

btw. keep in mind that basically, Im looking for OEM replacement for stock/springs but at the same time, I want my fender gap to be a little. I DO NOT autocross or anything like that.

I adjust them quite often, but mostly just to play around with the settings. I checked and both models have the same spring rate. I guess if you just want a stock replacement, the basic will be fine. It is still quite an upgrade over the stock suspension. Just don't come back wishing you could stiffen it up to play in the twisties

Old 01-31-2004, 12:26 AM   #13
accord98lx

thanks for your input guys....now I need a price quote from stefan
Old 01-31-2004, 12:38 AM   #14
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
thanks for your input guys....now I need a price quote from stefan

He'll hook you up with the best deal around

So which ones are you going with?

Old 01-31-2004, 01:36 AM   #15
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

let me know your zip and which do u want to go with. i know last time it camea mess i didn't know the shipping was gonna rip a new asshole in us

Old 01-31-2004, 02:04 AM   #16
accord98lx

well Ive decided to go with the Basics for a couple of reason

1) Like 94_accord said, its still quite an upgrade over the stock suspension.

2) I live on maui guys...theres no place you can go autocrossing. and if there was..I wouldnt be doing it with my accord so I dont think I will ever use the damper adjustability.

btw.....how come you have to remove your tires to adjust the height??? I dont have tooo....

And I hope its easy to adjust the height because when I got the cheap ass ebay coilovers, the collars didnt wanted to move...and when it did move..the sleeves moved with it.

Oh yeah and Stefan..my zip code is 96793 and I want the Basics.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:11 AM   #17
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

looking at the teins the thread is on the shock body, not a sleeve like the cheap ebay coilovers or ground control, or the skunk2's, so that shouldn't be an issue. you will need to remove the wheels because the springs on teins are a lot longet than the coilovers above mentioned, so the lower perch will be below the top level of the wheel. for a price i am gonna hit you tomorrow with one.

Old 01-31-2004, 03:52 AM   #18
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:

btw.....how come you have to remove your tires to adjust the height??? I dont have tooo....

I suppose if you have crazy reach around skills you could do it without removing the wheels, but its easier to just take them off.

Old 01-31-2004, 10:07 AM   #19
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
I suppose if you have crazy reach around skills you could do it without removing the wheels, but its easier to just take them off.

on mine they can be adjusted without removing the wheels too. the lower perch is way too high. all i need to do is jack the car up

Old 01-31-2004, 01:57 PM   #20
accord98lx

i just noticed something. the basics dont come with the top housing. am I suppose to use my stock ones?

When you jackup the car, does the spring itself gets loosen or uncompress from the vehicle so that its easy to adjust the height? Wouldnt it be difficult to adjust the height if the spring is compressed to the vehicle? Sorry guys Just making sure because I dont want to end up with the same problems again.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:04 PM   #21
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

the spring should decompress itself and you should be able to use a bar between the shock and the fram in order to saise it some more ( that's what i do). anyway i am gonna get you the teins basics for 675+ 25% off shipping which is like $120 some.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:22 PM   #22
accord98lx

I hope that $120 is USPS Priority mail (2-3 business day)....

accord_94....is there tension on your spring when you jackup the car?
Old 01-31-2004, 02:26 PM   #23
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well all ups/fedex shipping to hawaii is considered 2 day air.

Old 01-31-2004, 10:15 PM   #24
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
accord_94....is there tension on your spring when you jackup the car?

Its been awhile since I've even jacked up my car (only adjusted these once)... but i want to say yes (slight).... don't hold me to it though.