::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2006, 05:52 PM   #1
LAiN

99 Accord V6 Questions

First off, hi, I'm Shawn from the town of Howell, MI. I own a 99 Accord EX V6 coupe and I've got a few simple questions. Hope somebody can help...

1) Is any sort of fuel saver (tornado, air razor, floblade, etc.) going to help me at all?

2) How much can I expect out of a cold-air intake?

3) What can I do for relatively cheap to boost up my power?

4) Are there any issues I should know about my engine?
LAiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:02 AM   #2
Mischief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAiN
First off, hi, I'm Shawn from the town of Howell, MI. I own a 99 Accord EX V6 coupe and I've got a few simple questions. Hope somebody can help...

1) Is any sort of fuel saver (tornado, air razor, floblade, etc.) going to help me at all?

2) How much can I expect out of a cold-air intake?

3) What can I do for relatively cheap to boost up my power?

4) Are there any issues I should know about my engine?

1) no.

2) minimal.. if you're talking about MPG I'm not sure, but you won't see a difference in power from a CAI at all.

3) Nothing cheap will make a significant gain in your power. It's better to just save up for FI.

4) no idea TBH

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
LAiN

thx.

Forced induction-wise, though, my car's going to be pretty expensive. I've gotta have 2 turbos custom built (nobody makes a turbo kit for my car) and custom headers in addition to all the engine rebuilding...

Right now I'm just looking to maybe get 1mpg or *hopefully* 2mpg more out of my car because driving just 12 miles each way is killing my pocket. $10 in gas lasts a trip to, a trip from, and a trip to the gas station. It royally sucks.

My cold-air comes in soon, so I guess we'll see ^_^

another 2 questions, sorry!

1) What plugs would you recommend for the best combustion/power gain (I realize that the most any plug will really get me is like... 1/4hp per plug)?

2) Is there anything at all I can do to increase gas mileage beside my cold-air?
Old 06-25-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well since you are talking about a 7 year old car maybe a tuneup is in order. try new fuel filter/new air filter (k&n works) new sparkplugs, synthetic oil, and make sure your tires are the correct pressure.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
LAiN

I've got a cold-air to install including new filter, and I'm waiting until my next paycheck to get some Bosch Platinum+4 plugs (gotta eat and get gas with the rest of the last one).

I heard the only real way to go with oil is Mobil1 synthetic 5w-30. Is that true? It's sorta expensive...
Old 06-29-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
solanog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAiN
I've got a cold-air to install including new filter, and I'm waiting until my next paycheck to get some Bosch Platinum+4 plugs (gotta eat and get gas with the rest of the last one).

I heard the only real way to go with oil is Mobil1 synthetic 5w-30. Is that true? It's sorta expensive...

In my case the best plugs have been OEM, I've tried platinum, and those 4 electrode Boschs and for the price and performance I'll keep it OEM.
solanog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
LAiN

I just talked to a guy that was featured in one of Honda's promo mags a few years ago with his 99 Accord and he said that the plugs he got the absolute best results from were Autolite's double platinums. He also said that Bosch's plugs were shit. From now on I'm using him as my adviser. I mean, if he was featured in one of Honda's promos he must have being doing a lot of things right.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:12 AM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

mobil 1 5w-30 is all i use in my subaru and you can feel a difference from the conventional oil. it's a bit on the expensive side, but i do my oil change at every 5k miles.

and indeed bosh plugs are shit for domestic and japanese cars, but they work wonders in german engines. for japanese the best bet is NGK and nippon/denso products.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:02 PM   #9
AzCivic

its probably about time to replace the primary oxygen sensor(s?), if so that might net an increase in gas mileage.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote