.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
blind34_1

pdiggs, the amd setup looks good, at least as far as being compatible. the dvd burner you chose is the only thing i really have a problem with. Liteon is okay, i guess, but for that price, you may as well look at the top brands instead of secondary ones. Plextor, TDK, Sony, Pioneer, and even NEC (who actually makes most of the chips for those other brands) would be my first choices.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-236&depa=1

I use this burner and it is great so far. has detachable faces so if you are building with a black case, it will match.

and given the choice between true ATI and a third (unknown to me) party like Powercolor, I would take the ATI. I would also consider Sapphire's Atlantis line.

Okay, Alienware. They have long been known for making the best machines possible. Of course, you are going to pay for it.

this is actually an excellent graph (albeit from alienware), but still, they are right:
http://www.alienware.com/build_vs_buy_pages/index.aspx

On a side note, if I had to buy a laptop for whatever reason, it would be an alienware machine. Just because they make an outstanding product and they stand behind it, considering most other laptops suck. (only ibm would come close to alienware)

They use only high quality parts, and they are not proprietary, like the crap dell and gateway pull sometimes.

They also build using the bleeding edge parts, something else that dell and gateway do not do. They are using the best of best, some of which isn't even available on the common market. You can configure any machine to have insane specs: an extreme edition pentium 3.46 with 1066 fsb and 2.5 mb cache HOLY CRAP. 4gbs of 533mhz ram, holy crap again. they even offer the x850, which is just a symbol of excess. I think no where else you will find anybody offering this kind of hardware, already built to standards that they do.

Why would anyone order from them? Yes the price is nuts on most of their stuff, but if you are truly into gaming, or just want a high-end, high-dollar, high-quality pc, this is who you go to.

I still think that building your own machine is still more rewarding and there is nothing you can't do that they can. They just know A LOT more than you, and have the confidence of doing it perfectly.

I wouldn't mind having one of those machines in my room, but its just like buying an already modified car; its not yours, and it will never be yours. you didnt do the work.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote