::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2002, 05:20 PM   #1
jlepore123

Is it stupid to modify an automatic???

i really want to mod my car but everyone tells me it's pointless to mod an automatic civic cause it will never be fast. let me have your input, thanks.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:20 PM   #2
GirlRacer82

personally (as an owner). I think there is no point in modding an automatic. You'll always have a disadvantage. I mean don't get mean wrong with LOTS of money it can be fast. But with a honda you want to get a Manual just because it gives it that extra push, considering you can actually drive it. Honda automatic trannies are the worst.

Becca
Old 05-17-2002, 08:56 PM   #3
slowEJ6

its not pointless....level ten auto trannys are the shizzle.....but a stock auto isnt all that swell. spray nitrous and be content.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 10:07 PM   #4
4jacks

Well I drove a Probe Auto for about 6 years... I had it overhauled after the first year... I swear i'm telling you my auto kicked serious butt !!!! I tromped on the gas and that baby moved !!! Thier was no reaction time it was instantious. I never drove a Honda Auto so i can't say too much about them. But I would say go ahead and mod it. In realitly all autos are only a little slower than thier counterparts. and you do lose some horsepower in the transmittion. But they still sell corvettes with auto trans ... so it can't be that bad.

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 12:04 AM   #5
wongfeihung

hey, if you want to mod your car, go ahead and do it man, dont' listen to what everyone says about your car, after all, it is YOUR CAR, and if they don't like it, then too bad for them. Even if its an automatic, if you mod it, it will go fast, just cause its an auto, dont' underestimate it ya know? and since you have an auto, when you beat someone with a manaul, ah yees, the loook on their face will ever be so much more gratifying.

p.s. i got an auto 94 civic ex, and its not fast, but it an't slow eitha, ppl underestmate what i gotz, and they pay for it.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:14 AM   #6
BLu3xCiViC

auto can be pretty fast.....look at the automatic tegra's, they are faster than any stock civic auto or manual.....put one of those ls engines and call it good (assuming you own a civic)...or have fun with a lil nitrous.....whatever it is, just have a lil fun no matter what mod you choose......i think it isn't a bad idea to mod ur auto.....have fun.....peace
Old 05-18-2002, 11:06 AM   #7
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

If your so concerned about modding an auto.....throw in a shift kit.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 01:43 PM   #8
Wren57

My Toyota Highlander is an auto and it can kick some serious manual-ass... just the other night I had 4 passengers in the car and we raced a solo guy in an older modded accord and kicked his ass when he downshifted and threw his RPMs through the roof... did I mention the fact that autos keep people from screwing up and sending their RPMs through the roof?!?
Old 05-18-2002, 05:26 PM   #9
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by BLu3xCiViC
auto can be pretty fast.....look at the automatic tegra's, they are faster than any stock civic auto or manual
ive never been beat by an auto LS....they arent fast at all, neither is a 5spd. its just....average.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:48 PM   #10
wongfeihung

jlepore123, mod your car, thats what we saying
Old 05-18-2002, 11:19 PM   #11
SilverHX4Me
2nd Gear

Do what YOU like and don't listen to anyone else. It's yours, you have to drive it not us. I think autos can haul major ass and in some way its much more of a challenge and when you pull it off it will be looked at as more of an acomplishment then if you just had what everyone else has. Nothing wrong with bein diferent. Goodluck!
SilverHX4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 10:36 AM   #12
circuitcivic94

I wood go ahead and modify it. I have an automatic civic and when i get the money im going to modify mine. it can be fast if u put enough money into it.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:07 AM   #13
Honda_Gurl

i say go for it and modify it. even if it's an auto, u'll be surprised at what you can pull off. my lude's auto, and i still beat my share of people. but i still wish i had a manual just cause it does give u an extra advantage (if u know how to drive it correctly)..plus it's more fun!
Old 05-21-2002, 02:20 AM   #14
bootstrap

I guess it'd depend on WHY your modding it. Too look and sound good, or to actually make it fast. IF you think its going to go really fast you got another thing coming unless you do soemthing really crazy and expensive. I'd just spend your money on something else, and when you have enough to get another car, get a manual and mod that if your looking for speed. Thats my opinion (and a damn good one at that)
Old 05-21-2002, 02:38 AM   #15
Maxvla

hmm.. most F1 cars nowadays shift automatically. coincedence?
Old 05-21-2002, 10:18 AM   #16
jlepore123

i was thinking my car could still be really fast in a 1/4 mile. I plan on doing full intake and exhuast, ignition, spark, and running a 55 shot of nos and then a 100 after i get new pistons, rods, cam and cam gears. Alot of people are telling me if i run nos on my stock tranny i will blow it, i don't know much about trannys so let me know if that is true and if so what should i do to make sure it dosen't happen, like what is all this level ten stuff people are talking about?
Old 05-22-2002, 12:01 PM   #17
BottLeFedCivIc

Re: Is it stupid to modify an automatic???

Quote:
Originally posted by jlepore123
i really want to mod my car but everyone tells me it's pointless to mod an automatic civic cause it will never be fast. let me have your input, thanks.

I have a auto... My civic isn't that fast nor is it slow. Don't listen to others, just do what you want to do. Shoot you're the one that is driving it not them!
Old 05-22-2002, 01:52 PM   #18
ShEaNy

i gots a auto, and i beat 5 speeds..sometimes....lol it can be fast man!..just put some cash into it.....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 11:07 PM   #19
BLu3xCiViC

Quote:
Originally posted by hybrid3do0rcx

ive never been beat by an auto LS....they arent fast at all, neither is a 5spd. its just....average.

well i'm speaking from experience with my cuzn's tegra i've beaten alot of single cam guyz (5spd), but maybe your experience against tegras is a bit different.......now that goes to show any car can be fast its up to you on what route to take.......do alot of reading and research to figure out the potentials of your car (auto or manual).....peace
Old 05-22-2002, 11:26 PM   #20
wongfeihung

Quote:
Originally posted by BLu3xCiViC

well i'm speaking from experience with my cuzn's tegra i've beaten alot of single cam guyz (5spd), but maybe your experience against tegras is a bit different.......now that goes to show any car can be fast its up to you on what route to take.......do alot of reading and research to figure out the potentials of your car (auto or manual).....peace

very well said.
Old 05-26-2002, 04:14 AM   #21
shirji

DEREK

Hey bud, I have an automatic civic and I was thinking of throwing in a shift kit beucase i hate it right now. I was wondering how much they are and how good they are, etc . . .

and where I could find out more info, like what exactly it does and stuff.

thanks
Old 05-26-2002, 09:56 AM   #22
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Do a search on the internet to find a shift kit for your auto...I think B&M makes them....I know that an auto with a good shift kit will beat a 5 speed anyday.
EDIT: I just did a search for a shift kit for civic's...all I could find was short shifters...anybody know if they make automatic shift kits for civics....I thought so...????

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!

Last edited by KwikR6 : 05-26-2002 at 10:04 AM.
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 03:50 PM   #23
slowEJ6

a 100shot on the stock transmission is not going to go over well.