Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2002, 09:09 AM   #1
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

Bare B16 block..need ideas..

OK I got a bare block JDM B16 and I'm going to build it up to eventually run a turbo set up. I need to get crank rods pistons and all. I have to get a head for the block as well.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what internals and all I should get and maybe which head to put on it. Jus tthe B16 or B18 or what..

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...
Old 10-16-2002, 12:38 PM   #2
Spicdaddy1507

Get a B17 crank to increase the stroke...sleeve the block, make sure the sleeves are bored out 84...Go with some H-beam forged eagle rods, and forged pistons....then work from there....just a thought...
Old 10-16-2002, 01:08 PM   #3
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

I would sleeve to 85mm. This will still allow adequate cooling. For turbo, you could go with either the B17 or the B18 crank, since high redline isn't as much of a concern. However, the B18A/B crank may cause a rod ratio alittle on the short side since the deck height of the B16A isn't as tall. I, too, like the Eagle rods, and I personally prefer the Arias pistons. A B16A head is just as good as the others and can generally be found for cheaper. Use the money you save on it for a good port and polish job. Springs and retainers are really optional, but recommended, since high revs aren't as much of a concern.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 02:28 PM   #4
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

I can use that info to build off of and I do appreciate that.

Any more info would be great....
Old 10-16-2002, 10:36 PM   #5
Spicdaddy1507

Yes, I agree...Arias pistons, although expensive..are a good choice to go with.....As far as anything else, you will have to take into account the valve to piston clearance...make sure you have a machine shop blueprint the block for you and have them match up everything....Thats probally the easiest way to go and will save you the pain in the ass.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:09 PM   #6
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

With turbo, valve to piston clearance shouldn't be an issue since you'll be running relatively low compression. If you run super aggressive turbo cams, it could possibly become an issue, but I seriously doubt it since a turbo build that aggressive will more than likely involve turning up the boost and further lowering compression. If you choose to run turbo cams, though, definitely swap out springs and retainers.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 08:59 AM   #7
Dr Drew

The B16 block has about 7mm lower deck height than other B-series blocks. The crank will bolt in but the rod length will most likely have to be custom. The B16 has an almost perfect R/S ratio. It would be a shame to ruin it. The head flows very well. If you are going to sleeve, sleeve to 84mm. This gives you the ability to hone twice down the road. And you won't need custom pistons or rods. If I were building the motor I would use, Eagle rods, GE sleeves, 84 JE pistons with Swain coatings, B16 head w/ ferrea SS valves and portflow springs.

or just build it with the stock sleeves if they are in good condition.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:45 PM   #8
GEARHEINZ

INSTEAD OF SPENDING ALL THIS MONEY ON CHANGING THE CRANK JUST SELL YOUR BLOCK AND PURCHASE AN LS BLOCK AND SOME PISTONS AND RODS AND YOU WILL SAVE A LOT MORE MONEY AND IT WILL BE TWICE AS RELIABLE.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:26 AM   #9
Dr Drew

Quote:
Originally posted by GEARHEINZ
INSTEAD OF SPENDING ALL THIS MONEY ON CHANGING THE CRANK JUST SELL YOUR BLOCK AND PURCHASE AN LS BLOCK AND SOME PISTONS AND RODS AND YOU WILL SAVE A LOT MORE MONEY AND IT WILL BE TWICE AS RELIABLE.

How would it be twice as reliable ??