::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2006, 01:33 AM   #1
CD5Passion

V for Vendetta

TOnight i went and saw this movie and was very impressed by the film. Such a awesome message that was sent.

anyone else see it? I want to know everyone's impressions

i figure it would be interesting seeing as this is blantantly terrorism, but because it's democratic background it may seem ok to most.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

I havent seen it yet. I might go this weekend....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:53 AM   #3
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I really want to see it. Let the bittorrent search begin!
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:55 PM   #4
AzCivic

I saw it on Friday (matinee). I thought it was great, I'd say its even worth full admission price.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:49 AM   #5
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I just sat down and watched this tonight. It's great in every sense of the word. Aside from the initial illeteration from the title character it's much better than I expected from a comic book movie.

Now the downside. The sad truth is that this film raises a ton of interesting talking points that will never be brought up by the average viewer. Most people will leave the film remembering the explosions and the action sequences and not the particularly biting social commentary. It's a sort of "1984" meets comic book weirdness in a word that practically mirrors the one we're living in without stepping all over it. This WILL be the future...it's just a matter of when.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 03-27-2006, 10:22 AM   #6
CD5Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT40FIED
I just sat down and watched this tonight. It's great in every sense of the word. Aside from the initial illeteration from the title character it's much better than I expected from a comic book movie.

Now the downside. The sad truth is that this film raises a ton of interesting talking points that will never be brought up by the average viewer. Most people will leave the film remembering the explosions and the action sequences and not the particularly biting social commentary. It's a sort of "1984" meets comic book weirdness in a word that practically mirrors the one we're living in without stepping all over it. This WILL be the future...it's just a matter of when.

exactly

I also found it interesting that so many people love the V character but you know he is in every sense a terrorist. But it's ok! you know?

It's ok to be a terrorist as long as you do it for an ideal that we americans can relate to.

but god forbid it be for a culture we don't understand
Old 03-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
AzCivic

are you really trying to relate flying planes into buildings filled with thousands of innocent people to blowing up some empty buildings that represent the government?

they ARE NOT the same thing, nor are the even remotely close.

if he would've blown up buildings filled with innocent people, no one would walk away from the theater loving the character, and basically you'd have a crappy movie. the only people he killed were those trying to kill him or those who turned him into what he was and killed numerous other innocent people in the process.

furthermore, if terrorists were to go about making their statements in such a way that only symbols were destroyed and not human lives, they might actually gain a following. they don't however, because they (recent terrorists) feel offended that people such as ourselves walk this planet and they want to do what they can to stop it. they don't just hate your way of life, your government, and your religion. They hate YOU.

Last edited by AzCivic : 03-27-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:42 PM   #8
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

See...I saw it a little differently. I wasn't looking at V like a terrorist but more as a liberator. Yeah, he blew up a few empty buildings and killed a few people, but he did it with an ideal and for the greater good (at least I thought so). So for me it brought up the issue of exactly what is a terrorist? Do the actions define the name or does the outcome? In the movie V employs terrorist tactics but only to help his country so it's kind of weirdly duplicitous.

It also brought up the issues of government propaganda and how far a government will go to sustain itself no matter how ridiculous the lie it has to tell or how horrible the act it has to do. Ultimately I think it goes to show that people in other parts of the world look at these issues with a lot more intellectual thought than we do.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:48 AM   #9
CD5Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzCivic
are you really trying to relate flying planes into buildings filled with thousands of innocent people to blowing up some empty buildings that represent the government?

they ARE NOT the same thing, nor are the even remotely close.

if he would've blown up buildings filled with innocent people, no one would walk away from the theater loving the character, and basically you'd have a crappy movie. the only people he killed were those trying to kill him or those who turned him into what he was and killed numerous other innocent people in the process.

furthermore, if terrorists were to go about making their statements in such a way that only symbols were destroyed and not human lives, they might actually gain a following. they don't however, because they (recent terrorists) feel offended that people such as ourselves walk this planet and they want to do what they can to stop it. they don't just hate your way of life, your government, and your religion. They hate YOU.

hold up horsey. i'm saying this cause i've read articles calling this movie a sympathsizer for terrorism. and btw terrorism isnt only flying planes into buildings.

just notice that V is hell bent on getting his revenge no matter what usually and willing to risk everyones lives. no one can stop him, and he brainwashes eevey into seeing his see way. in this sense yes he was a terrorist..but god damn was he a cool one.

but like i said, no one will see it like that becuase you feel he is doing the right thing.

if you know your history you'll know that V pretty much takes the place of a actual historical figure named Guy Fawkes. In 1605 he was catholic who developed a scheme to blow up the Parliament in order to protest against protestant rule of England....do you see the connection? other than the obvious Guy Fawkes mask V wears. again in it's basic element V's historical counterpart was a terrorist.

now don't go getting bent out of shape, I wasn't saying "I love osama bin laden" jesus. he's a prick haha
Old 03-28-2006, 02:05 AM   #10
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

See...there again, that's not what I came away with. I didn't really see V brainwashing anyone. Well, at least not nearly as bad as his government was. I saw him undoing what the illegitimate government had done. Teaching people to think for themselves and whatnot. As for seeking revenge no matter what, it seemed to me that he could've caused much more harm than he did. He really only killed the people who fucked his shit up.

I'd stop short of comparing Guy Fawkes with V. There's a lot of things not the same...namely that Guy Fawkes failed where V succeeded. That...and Guy Fawkes didn't work alone. He worked with a whole group of guys. November 5th is actually still a holiday in England. People set off fireworks and whatnot. I'm sure people have forgotten why they do it, but then again most Americans have forgotten why we celebrate the 4th of July.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:27 AM   #11
CD5Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT40FIED
See...there again, that's not what I came away with. I didn't really see V brainwashing anyone. Well, at least not nearly as bad as his government was. I saw him undoing what the illegitimate government had done. Teaching people to think for themselves and whatnot. As for seeking revenge no matter what, it seemed to me that he could've caused much more harm than he did. He really only killed the people who fucked his shit up.

I'd stop short of comparing Guy Fawkes with V. There's a lot of things not the same...namely that Guy Fawkes failed where V succeeded. That...and Guy Fawkes didn't work alone. He worked with a whole group of guys. November 5th is actually still a holiday in England. People set off fireworks and whatnot. I'm sure people have forgotten why they do it, but then again most Americans have forgotten why we celebrate the 4th of July.

I guess it just depends on where you stand and what not. Personally I definatly felt what V did was right. and yes because he was faced with a psuedo-nazi government it was definatly a good deed. I'm just repeating what I read on some articles, which I found interesting. there are two sides of the stories.

and yeah as far as the Guy fawkes deal, true. it's just cool that the similarities are there. the original release date in Europe for this movie was slated for November 5th. but then the terrorist bombings in the underground occured and they pushed the release date ahha
Old 03-28-2006, 02:29 PM   #12
AzCivic

is Fawkes pronounced how I think it is?

CD5 you're a terrorist lover, admit it!!! lol.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #13
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

It's pronounced just like "fox".

Old 03-28-2006, 11:03 PM   #14
revival

really good movie. go see it if you haven't yet!
revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:54 AM   #15
CD5Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzCivic
is Fawkes pronounced how I think it is?

CD5 you're a terrorist lover, admit it!!! lol.

haha guilty as charged

jk
Old 03-29-2006, 06:28 PM   #16
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Hahaha...I just looked up who played V. It's Hugo Weaving...better known as Agent Smith from The Matrix. Bwahahahahahaha.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:12 PM   #17
AzCivic

that news is sooooo old