Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Body Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2003, 04:55 PM   #1
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Carbon Fiber--Can it be painted ?

i'm thinking about getting a carbon fiber hood and fenders for my car and i really want to paint them, cause i think black and blue will look pretty gay. can it be painted ? what kind of paint should i use ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 02:21 AM   #2
foreverzz

yes it can.
but i think it would look pretty cool if instead of paiting it you put a candy color clear coat on the hood instead.

like a candy blue...that way you could still see the carbon fiber but it would shine and reflect blue.
it looks amazing, and what i plan to do when i get a cf hood.

of course it also costs close to $500 to do a special clear coat candy paint like that...but you'd definetly stand out.

if want i can probably get you a good price on the hood and fenders...pm me if interested.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:49 AM   #3
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

I'm gonna have to take a pic of my hood for you, yes CF can be painted......

Quote:
Originally posted by IALuder
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:
Originally posted by MissJDM
Darin, please confirm that you don't like the cock!

HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #7
Anna Fan Club Member #1
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 10:10 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by foreverzz
yes it can.
but i think it would look pretty cool if instead of paiting it you put a candy color clear coat on the hood instead.

like a candy blue...that way you could still see the carbon fiber but it would shine and reflect blue.
it looks amazing, and what i plan to do when i get a cf hood.

of course it also costs close to $500 to do a special clear coat candy paint like that...but you'd definetly stand out.

if want i can probably get you a good price on the hood and fenders...pm me if interested.

i was just asking because i want the car to be all one color.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 02:15 PM   #5
foreverzz

oh, well in that case then yes it can still

they will mix a solution of your car color and clear coat and spray the hood.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:10 PM   #6
myself_included

What's the point of painting carbon fiber? Why not just get a fiberglass hood for a fraction of the price and extremely close to the same weight and paint that. Much cheaper, almost same weight.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:43 AM   #7
Sol's Eye

Quote:
Originally posted by myself_included
What's the point of painting carbon fiber? Why not just get a fiberglass hood for a fraction of the price and extremely close to the same weight and paint that. Much cheaper, almost same weight.

Yes, but not the same strength. One of the best ads I have seen for CF was just a bunch of guys screwing around. They took their new CF hood and laid it on the ground and then jumped on it. Over and over again, and each time it just popped back into place. Then they held it up and there weren't any dents, creases or cracks. You buy CF for its strength/weight ratio, not just its weight. Plus, if I remember correctly, CF breathes better than fiberglass, so it would help with cooling as well. Not sure about that last part, though.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:51 AM   #8
myself_included

so you're willing to spend a lot more just to have a hood that's harder to dent? And if you do bang up your CF hood, do you know many body shops that will fix it for ya?
Old 01-29-2003, 12:40 AM   #9
Sol's Eye

Quote:
so you're willing to spend a lot more just to have a hood that's harder to dent? And if you do bang up your CF hood, do you know many body shops that will fix it for ya?

That's just the point. You DON'T bang up a cf hood. If I remember right, cf flexes until it breaks. Which is a long way. So whatever you do to a cf hood over the course of normal ownership, it won't break. Unless you wreck your car really bad. In which case the cf will just break apart, and you won't have to worry about finding a shop to fix it because it will be in pieces. But under normal circumstances you won't "bang up" a cf hood. That's why you spend more for cf.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:48 AM   #10
a96710

Check out fiberimages.com for videos of durability. they run one over with a car
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 02:52 AM   #11
myself_included

Quote:
Originally posted by Sol's Eye
But under normal circumstances you won't "bang up" a cf hood. That's why you spend more for cf.
My 19 year old car doesn't have any dents in the hood, it's all about how much you take care of your car.

But yeah lol
Old 01-29-2003, 07:56 AM   #12
Sol's Eye

Quote:
My 19 year old car doesn't have any dents in the hood, it's all about how much you take care of your car.

But yeah lol

My 9 year old car does have a dent in the hood. And I take very good care of my car. There are just some things you can't prevent. And I just KNOW that once I get my new paint job and everything, some dumb **** is going to sit on my hood, or jump on it or do something stupid. I have stupid friends, that's just what would happen. That's why I am going with cf. Basically so it is less likely someone else will **** up my car.

Anyway, this got pretty OT, does anyone have the exact instructions for painting cf? I will be doing all my paint myself, so I want to know exactly what I am supposed to mix and in what proportions, etc.