Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Step By Step
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Del Sol rear speaker mount solution..

Apparently some Del Sol's do not come equiped with rear speakers or the rear mounts for them. Honda wants atleast $35 per side for mounts. I found one pair on ebay with a buy now of $32 after shipping, but I'm a cheap ass and opted to try to fab my own. Here's what I did:

- I had an old gutter laying around so I took tin snips and cut a piece off large enough for two 6.5 speakers.

- I took a rubber mallot and a 2x4 and pounded the gutter flat.

- Next I took the ring pattern from the box and traced out the pattern for the speaker including 4 tabs that will be bent over the back of the Del Sol rear speaker cover.

- Using tin snips, a drill, and a dremel, I cut drilled and sanded the metal ring into shape.

- Slide your speaker into the ring to ensure fitment. If everything fits mark your speaker mount holes and drill them out with a small bit.

- Next mount your speaker to the ring using the supplied screws and clips.

- This is what the back of the Del Sol speaker mount looks like before you install the speaker and mount.

- Notice how the cover has a round lip going around it. That is what you will mount the speaker to.

- Set the speaker and mount over the ring and bend your tabs around the cover lip.

- Drill holes in the mount and cover lip.

- Screw the mount to the cover lip. I bought #10-3/4 screws from walmart 13 for $.83 they work perfectly. ( I took off the front cover and ensured that I had plenty of clearance between the screws and the speaker surrounds. Putting a hole in your new speakers would suck! 1/2 long screws would probably be a little better. I had to use some washers to give my self a little extra room on one screw.)

Here's what the final product looks like, not the prettiest thing ever but it's rock solid and sounds great.

As you can see, the 6.5" speaker fits perfectly! Mine are Pioneer, but I'm sure any brand would be just fine. They are a great improvement over nothing at all. Mounting this way allows for a lot more clearance room for speakers with larger magnets. This gives you a better selection in speakers as well.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

how about rattling back there ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I have lots of rattles, but the speakers aren't one of them. lol Everything fit REALLY tight.. I cranked them up and didn't hear anything rattling. When the car is actually moving everything rattles in this car. So it's a non-issue. lol
Old 08-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
BigC@V

That looks like some nicework!
BigC@V is offline   Reply With Quote