::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > New Kid on the Block
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2002, 11:01 PM   #81
4jacks

This is great !

Thanks Trixta... I've been getting some great advice, I'm getting pretty smooth except puttin it in second gear, that gear always jerks for some reason ! I dunno ..

And I should be welcoming You to the Board ! You gotta remember this is 6 pages after my first Page ! And a Fun Six pages at that !

I'm still wanna see what Accord man's GODS say ... Logicaly I'm saying Higher RPM's more gas burning ... but i dunno !

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 02:35 AM   #82
99lipse20lbs

Hey,
If you are going to drive normal all of the advice above is good
but if you are going to push that engine and wanna go fast launch or take of at about 3000 to 4000 rpms. Hold the clutch down, put the car in first gear rev to the rpms of above slowly let off the clutch till you feel it grab. Once it does jump off the clutch if you get right the car should pull pretty hard if you get it wrong you will bog out or stall out, when shifting while trying to go fast do not release the gas, shift gears at redline. If you mess up u will hear your gears, but if you get you will feal some power not alot but a little
Old 02-26-2002, 01:13 PM   #83
Maxvla

lol.. that is a f*cked up signature trixta.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:33 PM   #84
4jacks

Quote:
Originally posted by 99lipse20lbs
Hey,
If you are going to drive normal all of the advice above is good
but if you are going to push that engine and wanna go fast launch or take of at about 3000 to 4000 rpms. Hold the clutch down, put the car in first gear rev to the rpms of above slowly let off the clutch till you feel it grab. Once it does jump off the clutch if you get right the car should pull pretty hard if you get it wrong you will bog out or stall out, when shifting while trying to go fast do not release the gas, shift gears at redline. If you mess up u will hear your gears, but if you get you will feal some power not alot but a little

Now that's the Kinda Stuff I Wanted to HEAR !

Happy Honda'ing
Old 03-04-2002, 09:33 AM   #85
Jakethesnake

NOw that were talking about shifting:
When i shift into second it takes a little more by my hand to put it into gear...I live in Vermont so i know the cold does play a factor in it....but could it be something else??
Old 03-04-2002, 09:39 AM   #86
MacRulzMan

That's most likely your syncro' spinning the transmission. If you force it, you risk grinding (and eventually stripping) the gear and even destroying your syncro.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:21 PM   #87
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord Man

My questions will be answered tonight.

Hey JP, did you ever consults the go.ds on this one? I'm really curious to see what you found.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 12:48 PM   #88
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

I did..

Here's how it is. When going downhill, the revs increase because of the camshaft rotating faster (and the cam makes the pistons run quicker).

The O2 sensor tells the ECU how much is beeing sent/used and depending on that, the throttle body is opened.

Basically fuel depends on O2.

Now here's the really funky part, when going downhill in 2nd gear (foot off the throttle) and rpm is at 4k -- More fuel is being burned than when the car is at a stop (neutral), and you press the accelerator and hold it at 4k.

This is because of the load its fighting. But you have to look at it as a negative load. You know? Like going the opposite direction.

Thats it.. I hope I explained it well.

HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 01:02 PM   #89
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Great JP, thanks for the explanation

Old 03-04-2002, 01:06 PM   #90
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Great JP, thanks for the explanation

No prob..

I should have posted this earlier.. BUt I was busy, and couldnt activate my brain to rethink all of this..

Old 03-04-2002, 02:19 PM   #91
Trixta6

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxvla
lol.. that is a f*cked up signature trixta.

LoL... I know

4jacks... Welcoming ME to the board? LoL... Nah really, I'v been here for a while. Just not on very much due to some medical stuff.
Old 03-04-2002, 06:07 PM   #92
4jacks

OK ... I think you said that I'll save gas, by going down hill in nuetral and using the brakes but i'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure it's going to work that way anyway so Thanks again!

Happy Honda'ing
Old 03-04-2002, 06:58 PM   #93
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Well ya for sure.. If your car is in neutral, engine at idle speed.

you wont burn more gas, thant whe you're at idle.

Old 03-04-2002, 07:03 PM   #94
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

But going downhill in neutral will really eat your brakes... I know you said you get them replaced for free though, so I guess its up to you. It makes it much harder to stop though.

Old 03-05-2002, 02:51 PM   #95
4jacks

Yea... but I always had to use my brakes in an automatic, it's not like I had a choice, I dont think my engine would down shift unless i took the overdrive off to put it back in third, so for me it's like Normal brake wear.

Plus, i dont brake down hill... unless the guy in front of me is riding his brakes.

Happy Honda'ing
Old 03-05-2002, 04:46 PM   #96
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

In your auto, you were in gear, assisting the car in braking. Putting it in neutral means no gear is engaged, which is different. Most people will do a combo of downshifting and braking when you need to stop going downhill, they don't just downshift.

Old 03-13-2002, 06:23 PM   #97
Tuaca05

What are you talking about with this "shift at 2000" crap!?!??

If you shift at 2000 rpm (especially into 4th or 5th) you are not going to move! This would put the rpm's at about 1000 for the next gear! As a Mechanical Engineering major, i have to say not only is that ridiculous, its also bad for the motor, believe it or not.

Maybe if you drive a diesel powered truck that redlines at 3000, then you could shift at 2000, but otherwise, not a good idea!
Old 03-13-2002, 06:53 PM   #98
4jacks

LOL

It's not that Bad.... Sometimes when I'm in 4th and chillin moving about 40 mph i'll stick it in fifth! The car works just fine. It sure as Hell doesn't STOP. Rofl .... beside the owner's manual say's a Billion Times "drive in the Highest Gear that lets the engine run and accelerate smoothly." That's exactly what it says. When I'm in 5th doing about 40 the car runs smoothly at that speed, Its really sticky trying to accelerate though, then you need to downshift.

Besides the owner's Manual's recommended shifting points have you shifting at like 2200 rpms ...

Happy Honda'ing
Old 03-14-2002, 05:28 PM   #99
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuaca05

If you shift at 2000 rpm (especially into 4th or 5th) you are not going to move! This would put the rpm's at about 1000 for the next gear! As a Mechanical Engineering major, i have to say not only is that ridiculous, its also bad for the motor, believe it or not.

Maybe if you drive a diesel powered truck that redlines at 3000, then you could shift at 2000, but otherwise, not a good idea!

Since I'm the one who said that crap. .Let me ask you to explain why its so bad?!

I'm not studying in that field and did not conduct any tests to validate the theory.. What I said was based on an article that appeared in one of the 99-00 Road & Track issues.

In that article, they conducted the tests on 98 3 series BMW.

Old 03-14-2002, 05:35 PM   #100
MacRulzMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuaca05

Perhaps you should change educational institutions, then, as that's just plain wrong

True, shifting at 2000 isn't exactly going to win the Indy for you, but it's by no means foolhardy. If you have reached your appropriate speed (or would rather sacrifice the time spent getting there for the sake of gas mileage), shifting in the lower rpm's is just fine, and saves wear on your engine. 1000 rpm is not too low for your engine, even as a Honda. Honda's idle at about 600, and 1000 is far enough away to not lug the engine when doing light acceleration. If you're flooring it, you don't need to be shifting that low, but a light foot can do just fine with it.
Old 03-15-2002, 08:21 PM   #101
4jacks

Ok.... I got it all figured Out

Tuaca05 was thinking I was Normally Shifting at 22000 rpms
so naturally 2000 would be too low

Refer to page 2

Happy Honda'ing
Old 03-15-2002, 08:27 PM   #102
MacRulzMan

Quote:
Originally posted by 4jacks
Ok.... I got it all figured Out

Tuaca05 was thinking I was Normally Shifting at 22000 rpms
so naturally 2000 would be too low

Refer to page 2

Err, not to be contrary, but I don't think any mechanical engineer would think you're normally shifting at 22k RPM in a production car, as very few even reach the double-digit thousands without basically self-destructing, and the Civic is not one of them
Old 03-16-2002, 03:02 PM   #103
4jacks

Quote:
Originally posted by MacRulzMan

Err, not to be contrary, but I don't think any mechanical engineer would think you're normally shifting at 22k RPM in a production car, as very few even reach the double-digit thousands without basically self-destructing, and the Civic is not one of them

Ahh..... But he's only a Engineering Major.. as Am I .. And I am the Idiot who told everyone I was shifting 22,000 rpms.... and besides I was only joking

Happy Honda'ing
Old 03-16-2002, 10:43 PM   #104
DsBlu01CivEX

Hey whats up all. I'm D and I'm new to HS. I figured this would be the best board to post on cuz my civic was the first 5 speed I had ever driven. I am the proud owner (well I'm makin the payments every month to own the car) of a 2001 EX eternal blue Civic. I LOVE it !!! The morning after I got my car I had to drive it to work. Keep in mind I never drove stick before....it was a LONG drive to work that day. Now I'm a "pro" haha...compared to my friends I am! and 94_Accord_EX...you are so right...I hate drivin automatics now. NEVER again for me!!!

http://www.myspace.com/kenike
DsBlu01CivEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 09:10 AM   #105
4jacks

Quote:
Originally posted by DsBlu01CivEX
Hey whats up all. I'm D and I'm new to HS. I figured this would be the best board to post on cuz my civic was the first 5 speed I had ever driven. I am the proud owner (well I'm makin the payments every month to own the car) of a 2001 EX eternal blue Civic. I LOVE it !!! The morning after I got my car I had to drive it to work. Keep in mind I never drove stick before....it was a LONG drive to work that day. Now I'm a "pro" haha...compared to my friends I am! and 94_Accord_EX...you are so right...I hate drivin automatics now. NEVER again for me!!!

Welcome to HS D

I've had plenty of those Long Drives to Work =)

Happy honda'ing

Happy Honda'ing
Old 03-19-2002, 09:56 PM   #106
4jacks

YES !!!! I'm just proud that when the monthly announcements came out I had started the Post with both the Most replies AND the Least (0)

I'm just all teared up

Happy Honda'ing
Old 03-19-2002, 11:28 PM   #107
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 4jacks

YES !!!! I'm just proud that when the monthly announcements came out I had started the Post with both the Most replies AND the Least (0)

I'm just all teared up

Come on man, don't whore it up.

Old 03-20-2002, 09:18 AM   #108
4jacks

I'm not a whore ...

I just get around

Happy Honda'ing
Old 03-21-2002, 11:40 PM   #109
midjjj

Just so you know, all clutches are diff so you'll have to get used to it. Whenever you start to feel some power behind the gas pedal, let off more on the clutch and give more gas. And as far as what 94_AcCoRd_EX said about keeping your foot off the clutch while driving, that is key. Its riding your clutch and its a great way to burn that thing up. Enjoy your honda!!!
Old 03-22-2002, 11:18 PM   #110
4jacks

Quote:
Originally posted by midjjj
Just so you know, all clutches are diff so you'll have to get used to it. Whenever you start to feel some power behind the gas pedal, let off more on the clutch and give more gas. And as far as what 94_AcCoRd_EX said about keeping your foot off the clutch while driving, that is key. Its riding your clutch and its a great way to burn that thing up. Enjoy your honda!!!

Yea.. I heard that , riding you clutch was bad, and by all means, i just rest my foot on the foot rest,

But what exactly does it do... I really can't see the great harm on putting a little pressure on the clutch ?!?!?!?!?

Happy Honda'ing
Old 03-23-2002, 08:53 AM   #111
MacRulzMan

It causes friction between the plates in the clutch, which wears them down. This friction is what allows your car to start, as the mechanical energy put out by your engine is converted to partial thermal energy (becuase of the friction) and the rest is mechanical energy sent to the wheels.