Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i hate brighthouse

my damn cable company... i paid them $10 less than my bill and normally i can roll it over and pay it next month no problem, and they cut my cable, but not the internet. at least my DVR looks like its still recording

edit: speaking of DVR, anyone have a dvr cable box with the usb port on the front? can i use that to put my recorded stuff on my computer?

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
blind34_1

there is a lot of information out there for hacking DVR equipment to allow playback on a PC. Unfortunately, there is so much, its hard to search for. What is the specific model of your equipment?

There is a general way of doing it, which would be to get a tuner card, install it in your PC, hook it up to your dvr box, and play the desired program while your PC is recording. There will be a loss of quality if it was HD.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

no idea, i'll look when i go downstairs next. and my cable is working so i found out, just not the digital cable, so only 80 channels instead of 300... but no guide. makes me not want to even watch anything besides espn and the basketball games on.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
blind34_1

yeah we just recently dumped cable altogether. switched to dsl for internet access and just said screw it to cable tv. all those channels and NOTHING worth watching. The first week is the hardest, but after that you find you dont really miss it. I do miss watching History Channel, and MythBusters on Discovery, but thats about it.

If I really wanted to see those shows that I cannot watch anymore, I just download them. Ad-free!
Old 12-16-2006, 07:26 AM   #5
Robert
R-Tard

We went and cancelled our cable tv about 5-6 years ago. Everyone was surprised at our move, but it was 70/month and I watched two channels. Now we have 5 channels that the tv picks up. If anyone watches tv they watch those, otherwise we throw in a DVD.

About 3 years ago we signed up for DvD's by mail, zip.ca in Canada. It has been an improvenment. We get lastest movies and tv shows including alot of stuff blockbuster doesnt carry. They delivery it to our door, we keep it for as long as we want and the postage is paid back to them. $30/month unlimited.

If a show isn't on that I want I surf on over to torrentspy.com and get myself the show. However I've learned that I dont do that because I dont care to watch much tv anymore.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCantSkate
no idea, i'll look when i go downstairs next. and my cable is working so i found out, just not the digital cable, so only 80 channels instead of 300... but no guide. makes me not want to even watch anything besides espn and the basketball games on.

Dude...are you sure your cable company's the o0ne fucking with your service? That happens to me sometimes...I lose my guide and most of my digital channels (and even some regular channels). I just reboot my cable box or call the cable company and make them do it.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #7
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

nah it was really my fault for paying $22 less than the bill, i got it all fixed yesterday. i cant stand having to sit and watch TV at a certian time unless its a sporting event, i pick out whatever i want to watch over the next week or so, set it all to record and whenever i have downtime i'll watch something. i cant just sit and surf the channels. by the way, the new dogfighter serise on the history channel is pretty cool. much more entertaining than i thought it would be

Old 12-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
blind34_1

I've considered giving NetFlix a shot, just havent had the time. My plan is to rip the dvd as soon as i get it, send it back, and do this as quick as possible for a whole month. Then cancel, (there are no cancellation fees, as far as i know), watch all the movies at my leisure, then sign up again when i want more.

anyone done business with NetFlix before?
Old 12-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
Robert
R-Tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind34_1
I've considered giving NetFlix a shot, just havent had the time. My plan is to rip the dvd as soon as i get it, send it back, and do this as quick as possible for a whole month. Then cancel, (there are no cancellation fees, as far as i know), watch all the movies at my leisure, then sign up again when i want more.

anyone done business with NetFlix before?

Yes, we use it in our house in Cali. It's a good service, very quick. What you speak of is an interesting way to build a DVD collection. Expect to get about 20-25 discs/month that way.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #10
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

ehh i dont hjave cable for movies/dvds, i have it for live tv, sporting events, new tv serise, news, weather, and the x factor random shit on the science/nat geographic/military/etc channels