Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

The Wii is more fun?

This was what Sony AU GM, Ashton Moses says in comparison to the PS3. The article is from IGN.

Quote:
Wii More Fun Than PS3?
Sony Australia's General Manager thinks so.
by Patrick Kolan, IGN AU

Australia, December 4, 2006 - According to an article by Asher Moses from the Sydney Morning Herald, Sony Australia's General Manager, Nic Foster, has some slightly poorly-worded opinions on the Nintendo Wii, as compared with the forthcoming (for Aussies) PlayStation 3.

Foster was quoted as saying, "Wii is a core gaming device. It's a more fun, intuitive sort of product to pick up, where the PS3 is a broader entertainment solution; so you can have your fun, enjoyable gaming ... but then you have a whole suite of other applications ... such as Blu-ray media playback, the ability to access your music, access your photos and the interoperability with the PlayStation Portable."

Foster also felt that the console's delay will not affect its overall performance in the Australian market.

"Gamers are extremely aware of what they're after and what they want. So gamers will already have a very good understanding of what PlayStation 3 offers versus what Wii offers and many of them will probably have both devices."

You're right, Mr. Foster. Gamers are aware of what they want. But is that still the PlayStation 3? This is the burning question that will remain unanswered until 2007.

So has the gaming industry taken things to far? To me, I buy a gaming system for mainly one thing... That is to have fun! Yeah, all of the graphics are wonderful, and so is some of the intuitive technology. However, do you think that gaming systems have moved away from the original purpose of what gaming consoles were intended for? I mean when you start sacrificing fun for features, IMO you start to miss the boat. Especially when gaming consoles are beginning to cost more then computers these days!

What is everyone else's opinion?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Honestly I'd consider buying the Wii if it weren't for the controllers (which I don't trust) and the fact that they'll likely still never have the title catalog of Sony or Xbox. I do think Sony and Xbox have overdone it with features...I don't need my game console to play movies, access the internet, balance my checkbook, or edit home movies. I want it to play games and that's it. The sad part is that all of those bullshit add-on features are what make the consoles so expensive. You don't need a hard drive for your PS3 or Xbox. It doesn't need an ethernet port. The only people who play games online with other people are the kind of folks that like to pretend they have no lives by teaming up with other retards who have no lives. *BAM* I just saved you money right there. Sony needs to stop peddling to hardcore gamers (i.e. losers) and return to making boxes that do what they're supposed to do...play your video games.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I agree with you for the most part though certainly not a necessity.. Other then the hard drive part. The hard drive is nice because you can store games locally and make copies so that you "have backups of your games."

I bought a Ethernet card for my PS2 just to try it. I used it for a little bit, then haven't touched in probably two years.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #4
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i played the Wii for a while over thanksgiving break.. the controler to me was perfect, a little odd at first, very first.. till you figure out how to hold it, its almost like having the right and left side of the controller broken into 2, eash with independent motion control. i was very impressed and if i was considering buying a system in the future, without a doubt the Wii. this coming from a longtime lover of both ps2 and xbox, and crapping on nintendo's gamecube. titles... we'll see. zelda was amazing from what i had played, and considering the games ive seen coming, i cant wait. nintendo looks like they may have nailed it this time, but it will all come down to the games they release. technology wise, i can say with 95% confidence they won.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
mylittlecivic

wii is pretty fun my friend has it. i played bowling and kicked ass, im supposed to play zelda next

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
IALuder

wii is better. i love the boxing games. they do need to perfect the controllers. but for the price i cant complian.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I haven't had a Nintendo since the NES, but I may have to buy the Wii.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #8
CD5Passion

my friend has both the PS3 and Xbox360, after the holidays I intend on buying the Wii. Nintendo is smart in that they don't worry completely about graphics but they want to be more innovative. Why I have always loved nintendo. Xbox is great for Gears of War and Rainbow Six Vegas and PS3 will be great with MGS and Resistance: Fall of man rocks.
Because i couldnt find a Wii before christmas (and the fact I'm going to Vermont with the mrs. for christmas, I bought her and I a Nintendo DS..and for a handheld it really is fun. there is a decent game selection, and the older Final Fantasy titles are a great play)

oh just a side note, be very careful about the Zelda game becuase there is a huge glitch in a part of the game that causes you to notbe able to get past a certain part...its a big problem hopefully nintendo will address.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:27 PM   #9
Gone

I've played the wii, xbox360, and ps3 at my friend's houses. I do like the ethernet connections because it's fun to play online with my friends that are like 25 minutes away.

But the blu-ray is a bit excessive. I love the graphics and they keep amazing me but I know how they design the games in and out now so it's not too big of a deal. As long as it's not the quality of say FFVII (which they need to remake) I'll be happy. The wii boxing was fun I beat the shit out of my friends bwuahahah! Xbox 360 isn't anything special anymore just a slightly upgraded xbox where as wii messed with controllers and ps3 just made the system into a heater for the winter. I give props to the wii and ps3, microsoft can go blow me.

I've stopped buying the systems since I find it much cheaper now to get the computer parts necessary and get iso's of the games I want.