.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2003, 03:35 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Need some help from the geeks

Alright...I know this is possibly but haven't a clue how to do it. I have a rather massive vinyl collection that I would like to preserve (it's in good shape, but just in case) and I'd like to convert it to CD. I don't for life of me know how to hook a turntable up to my computer or how to make the file once I've done that. Can anyone offer insight?
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 11:12 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well well well, just get a camble and hook the line out of the turntable to the line in of the computer. that should do it. you minght need to make a custom cable thou, but from what i understand you are in a band so you might already habe the needed cable. as for software i use music match jukebox. it's has autmatic song detedction for the line in.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 06:18 PM   #3
Maxvla

You will want to get a decent sound card like an audigy or turtle beach santa cruz or better.

My audigy has a recorder program that works very well. Basically you figure out how to connect your turntable to a 1/8 inch stereo audio jack then just plug it into the aux in/line in on your sound card.

Different turntables have different ways to connect and depending on the age of your unit there could be several different types of connectors. I'd need to know more about that before suggesting how to connect it to your pc.

When i connected a cassette recorder to my machine to make a cd of my mom's favorite tape so she could listen to it at work i ended up with the rca jacks from the tape deck converted with a rca -> 1/4 then a converter for 1/4 to 1/8. There are rca -> 1/8 converters but my radio shack was out of them so i just bought the 2 parts seperately and it worked perfectly.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:00 PM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Well...I figured I'd have to find an adapter for 2 RCA inputs to 1 1/8" but after plugging it in I'm lost. The turntable isn't too old...it's a Technics 1500 Mk2. Judging from the way the RCA jacks look it's probably early-mid 80s. Will it be necessary to go with a sound card? In all honesty, I know jack shit about hardware. I can install a CD burner and that's it. I guess I also need to know what program I can use to make the actual file(s). I'm so behind...I just use Realplayer for playback and Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 (it came with the burner). I've also got a program I've never used called RecordNow. Is there something I can find online and download for free? Money's a bit tight...I just dropped $500 on new tires. That's why I'm also a bit hesitant to buy a sound card. Don't know how to use it and probably can't afford it at the moment. What do you guys suggest?

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 04-28-2003, 12:02 AM   #5
Maxvla

well it depends on what sound card you have right now.

if its just regular onboard audio you aren't going to be pleased with the results it will have alot of noise and scratch in it.

cheapest i would go for recording would be a soundblaster live 5.1 which can be had for about 30-35 bucks now. audigys are around 55 i think.

as far as other programs i have no idea cause i always use my creative recorder. its simple and sounds really good.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:24 AM   #6
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I don't have any sound card besides whatever came with the computer. How in the world do you install a sound card? $35 or so I could probably swing once my tax return gets here. For now I guess I'll just try it without. What do you mean by creative recorder? Like I said, I'm so far out of the loop on this shit.

Old 04-28-2003, 10:24 AM   #7
Maxvla

Creative recorder is a program that came with my Audigy. The Audigy is made by Creative Labs.

Installing a sound card is very simple.

In your computer on the motherboard there should be anywhere from 3-6 PCI slots that are usually white. They will correspond to the slots on the back of your case. You will slide the card into one of those slots upside down and make sure it fits nice and snug to ensure good contact. Screw it in and thats it. You then take the cd that came with the card and install the support software which will include a recording program.

One note: If you are using onboard sound you will need to go into the motherboard's Bios and disable the onboard sound. Sounds tough but its not really. Just a simple setting to change. If this is the case then let me know and i'll type up a walkthrough for you. Doesn't take very long but i'd rather not type it if i don't need to. The problem you will run into if you have onboard sound still active and have another sound card installed the onboard sound can and will interfere with the operation of your new card since the computer doesn't know where to send the sound since there are two audio processors in your system.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:04 AM   #8
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Damnit...this shit's driving me insane. I know a bit about computers...just never thought I'd have to buy a sound card so I'm sooooo lost. Do all sound card allow you to do what I'm trying to do or do need one in particular? I've been looking at the Creative Soundblaster Exilgy (I think that's right) and the Onkyo SE U55...both are external USB cards since I'd like to avoid taking my computer apart. Problem is neither of them say whether or not they're capable of taking analog sources...they only list digital sources as being compatible. If someone can help me here I'll give you a cookie...I'm totally lost.

Old 05-14-2003, 04:01 PM   #9
JudoAnt
1st Gear

they make a RCA to stereo adapter. RCA's on one end and a small headphone looking jack on the other. plug it into the line input by the speaker jack. probably blue jack.
JudoAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 07:51 PM   #10
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by JudoAnt
they make a RCA to stereo adapter. RCA's on one end and a small headphone looking jack on the other. plug it into the line input by the speaker jack. probably blue jack.

Already got one. Now I'm just waiting for my tax refund to buy the sound card. I really just need the recording software with the card but I could certainly use a better sound quality card to record all of my vinyl.

Old 05-16-2003, 04:01 PM   #11
nonovurbizniz

you can use windows sound recorder... it comes with just about all versions of windows... it's not going to be the best sound but you can do it... as long as your pc has a microphone input or an aux input..

the only problem you may run into is that older record players put out a much lower voltage signal than most components... if you've ever pluged a cd player into the "phono" port on the back of an old stereo or vice versus you know what I'm saying... the cd through phono will be LOUD and the phono through cd will be quiet.

good luck.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:04 PM   #12
nonovurbizniz

sorry... also there are several sound recording programs out there that filter out hiss/pop associated with recording off of a record player however in my experience it takes HOURS of tuning to get a decent sound off of a record. If I were you I'd just send the signal out via your "tape/dat" output from your reciever (stereo) to your computer's mic/input 1/8th" input. that way you can tune your reciever for best sound and then try dif. filters on it.

I can try to see if my buddy in a band can get me a copy of some good sound editing software for you.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:11 PM   #13
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Thanks man...I'll take anything I can get. Most of the recording I've done has been in a studio so I've never coughed up the money for editing software. I considered using the onboard sound card but it really sucks and, unless there's something I'm missing, will only let you record in 1 minute intervals. That's no good for stuff like double vinyl and I don't think I like the idea of constantly stopping the record to make file names and save stuff.

Old 05-16-2003, 05:13 PM   #14
nonovurbizniz

ya F that get a cheap decent sound card on ebay hell they're pretty cheap new nowadays...

I'm gunna talk to him tonight so I'll see what he can dig up. I know he has acid ph and soundforge but not sure if those are exactly what you want I'll talk to him about it he does a lot of recording and editing.