Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2002, 03:27 AM   #1
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Got some questions! Broad range..

1. I'm going to do the painting of -some- parts of my car starting in about 2 weeks. I cant seem to find a way to get the black side "bump" guards on the doors of a 2k LX .. would i have to dissassemble the door just to get at the screws? Anybody have any instructions on how to remove the door assembly?

2.Coilovers- say i went on ebay and got http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1871609394 that. Would i need anything else to drop my car? Maybe a front camber kit, -washer-trick in the back... ? I plan on getting strut bars front upper and lower, back upper and lower.

3. Exhaust, i was thinking about putting dual exhaust on my car, left/right side evidently.... I know you lose some low end torque but i'm not intending this car to be a fast one anyways :P ... -- does anybody know if this will work with a catback system? and does anybody know where i can get this work done? will most muffler shops do it/ or will i need to buy a kit somewhere. I've looked everywhere, and i have found nothing.

pretty sure i forgot something... i'm just full of questions..

and thanks
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:42 PM   #2
AzCivic

1. Straight from a Helms manual for a 94 civic(I'm assuming its the same for your car as well): "To remove the door molding, remove the door panel and plastic cover"

2. If i were you I'd get springs and struts and not coilovers, I've heard of too many people having problems with them. But if you really want them then you really dont need anything else, BUT to do it right put in some performance struts and depending on how low you go you might need camber kits.

3. I'm sure somebody makes a dual exhaust for a civic, a problem you might run into is you have only one indent on the rear bumper allowing for one exhaust, but if your getting a groud effects kit that has 2 spots then never mind.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 04:22 PM   #3
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

1. Where can i purchase a helm's manual?

2. Well, I was thinking about entering the car into shows, and I'll probably lower it a lot when its on display, but i'll raise it for driving. I really am for the adjustability. And I'm not sure how low I'm going to go after i get my exhaust because the exhaust might drop down a little too low.. so having the ultimate flexibility is a plus.

3. I havent found any really..... no idea where i can get it done, and I was going to get a whole body kit with 2 moldings already.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:24 PM   #4
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
1. Straight from a Helms manual for a 94 civic(I'm assuming its the same for your car as well): "To remove the door molding, remove the door panel and plastic cover"

Oh, and.. I was more worried about how to properly remove the plastic covering/door assembly... i really don't want to mess anything up.
Old 11-02-2002, 07:37 PM   #5
AzCivic

I got my Helms manual from http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...4X23E6GWL844C7

It was worth every penny.

Oh, yeah if your doing shows and stuff then yeah thats the cheap way to do it.

As far as the dual exhaust you'll probably have to get that done at an exhaust shop. Your in Socal so I'm sure theres 100 shops out there that can do it.
Old 11-02-2002, 08:41 PM   #6
ShagginJet

For removing the plastic, it's held on by this rubber cement type of stuff, just grab hold of it and slowly pull, it'll come off. There should be some tach left in it so you should be able to put it back on. You can buy that stuff that holds it on at a hardware store, it might just be black silicon.

I'd go with the coilover's if you're going to need to lower and raise it now and then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1871815054

This is the correct way to do it, where you have the coil over built into the shocks, they will offer the best perofmance and feal, but you're going to pay extra. Or you can just buy the ones like the Massives that you posted, they'll work too.

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 09:52 PM   #7
4jacks

If your going to get dual exhaust, Please get a new back bumber cover that has holes for it... AKA Black widow.. otherwise it's kinda corny.. IMO
I'm sure thousands of people have gone dual on a Civic before, you will need a shop that bends pipe. such as Midas or minieke or one of the million small muffler shops to do it. Buy two Free Flow Mufflers off of Ebay or where ever you wanna get them. take them to the shop and just pretend that you know what your talking about. tell them you want 2.25" or 2.5" pipe, split at the cat to dual exhaust and tell them where you want the mufflers to sit.
when I was A Prober, We could not really do that due to the fact that the bump from the spare tire was in the way... I haven't really looked under my civic too much, but you may wanna do such a thing.

Also plan to spend at least $300 on dual pipe work .

But the best thing you can do is go have midas put your car on the jacks and take a look at it. They'll do it for free... just act sticker shocked, and tell em your freind had it done way cheaper on his 240 or sumptin and then tell em your going check around for prices and you may be back.

i went to 6 shops before i had my muffler put on =) original quote $260 ... final price $170

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 10:01 PM   #8
ShagginJet

damn, gj 4jacks

Old 11-02-2002, 10:03 PM   #9
4jacks

oh .. i'm sorry.. i did not get dual... just replace pipe with 2.5" pipe and big fart can!

Me a ricey

Happy Honda'ing
Old 11-03-2002, 01:43 AM   #10
slowEJ6

the moldings on your car is held on by clips....take off the door panel and start poking the clips, you'll have to remove the rear panels to get to the molding clips and you can probably reach your hand inbetween the door and fender to pop that one off. you might be able to yank them off, but broken moldings are not cool.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 03:07 AM   #11
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

thanks so much for the replies.. ill keep this ish bookmarked.. i'm sure i'll have a lot more questions :P
Old 11-03-2002, 03:21 AM   #12
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic

As far as the dual exhaust you'll probably have to get that done at an exhaust shop. Your in Socal so I'm sure theres 100 shops out there that can do it.

also a lot of shops out here that are grossly overpriced. its kinda disgusting how far people will go to make a quick buck.

and 4jacks, i intend on getting a body kit with the dual design already implimented, and thanks for the tip for the price haggling i'll keep that in mind.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:45 AM   #13
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

i've actually got another question.. what type of muffler style do u guys suggest? i'm torn between straight and slanted style. I'm not really digging the flare...

and also, are there any good names to buy for exhausts? Anything to stay away from? I mean, a muffler is a muffler if i'm not exactly looking for huge performance gains... right? I just dont want the 'fartcan' sound. My friend has an apexi exhaust, and i really like it... deep .. and not too obnoxious.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:50 AM   #14
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Are you looking for a full exhaust? (i.e. catback) or just a muffler? If you have a little money to spend try checking out HKS....they sound alright. My friend had one on his '97 Civic. I have Thermal Research & Development...nice grumble but doesn't sound like a shitcan of bees or a fart can..........

Quote:
Originally posted by IALuder
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:
Originally posted by MissJDM
Darin, please confirm that you don't like the cock!

HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #7
Anna Fan Club Member #1
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 03:53 AM   #15
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriyakiBroccoli
i've actually got another question.. what type of muffler style do u guys suggest? i'm torn between straight and slanted style. I'm not really digging the flare...

and also, are there any good names to buy for exhausts? Anything to stay away from? I mean, a muffler is a muffler if i'm not exactly looking for huge performance gains... right? I just dont want the 'fartcan' sound. My friend has an apexi exhaust, and i really like it... deep .. and not too obnoxious.

Just dont get pacesetter or some crap like that, cause it'll rust.

Does your friend have the apexi World sport exhaust? Cause the muffler on it is about the size of a stock one and I dont think you'll have room for 2 of those. Thats the exhaust i have by the way.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:20 PM   #16
ShagginJet

Quote:
Just dont get pacesetter or some crap like that, cause it'll rust.

Gj Az... I was planning on getting maybe a pace setter, glad to know that.

Anyone hear anything bad about OBX? They have a nice cat back on ebay now and then, it'd fit my dx hb real nice, just not sure of the quality or sound.

Old 11-03-2002, 03:22 PM   #17
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

You can do the dual exhaust with a catback setup? I think i'll save my money and go the cat-back way.

What size tip do you think is reasonable? I mean, I am in SoCal, and i already get dirty looks from cops :\ ...

So something relatively softer, with a nice deep growl would be nice.

--

Also, I'll check with my friend to see what model he has.
Old 11-03-2002, 04:42 PM   #18
slowEJ6

you have to use two universal mufflers with custom piping. unless you can somehow manage to just get a muffler from a catback setup to match, otherwise you are going to have 2 different mufflers and thatd look pretty ridiculous.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:51 PM   #19
ShagginJet

**starts chanting**

rice it, rice it, rice it....

Old 11-03-2002, 07:43 PM   #20
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by slow ej6
you have to use two universal mufflers with custom piping. unless you can somehow manage to just get a muffler from a catback setup to match, otherwise you are going to have 2 different mufflers and thatd look pretty ridiculous.

Or get a catback and an axle back with the same muffler and somehow tie(weld) them together with some custom work.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:52 PM   #21
4jacks

Thier are no Dual Exhaust Bolt on Cat Back systems available, so if you want dual, you will have to have pipe custom bent..

As far as what style muffler to get..

I'm in love with my Dual Tip DTM round.. got 3" on my civic had 2.5" on my Probe. All other mufflers are just

if you wanna nice muffler get a MagnaFlow... Super Sweet...

Happy Honda'ing
Old 11-03-2002, 09:55 PM   #22
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Just wondering if anybody knows how to take off the door assembly- so i can access the bump guards?

everyone loves the turbizzim.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:57 PM   #23
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Oh, and do u think I'll need to modify my rear bumper if I get a 4" tip? I mean, if the tip is touching the body.. that cant be good right? The heat....
Old 11-03-2002, 10:07 PM   #24
slowEJ6

on the driver side maybe since theres no indentation, but the passenger side should be fine.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:43 PM   #25
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

thats what i was wondering, thx.

Also, ej6, what kind of struts are u using with your GC coils? stock? if so, how's the ride?
Old 11-04-2002, 03:13 PM   #26
cashizslick

Re: Got some questions! Broad range..

Quote:

3. Exhaust, i was thinking about putting dual exhaust on my car, left/right side evidently.... I know you lose some low end torque but i'm not intending this car to be a fast one anyways :P ... -- does anybody know if this will work with a catback system? and does anybody know where i can get this work done? will most muffler shops do it/ or will i need to buy a kit somewhere. I've looked everywhere, and i have found nothing.

Have you considered to go with a normal catback exhauset?
www.thermalrd.com
www.greddy.com
www.dcsports.com
Old 11-04-2002, 05:12 PM   #27
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

I was actually looking at a normal cat, but i think dual exhaust looks good doesn't it? This car is not gonna race, cant make it fast to save my life, so might as well go with something that looks nice :P

Old 11-05-2002, 10:59 PM   #28
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

I've been talking around and been in some deep thought about my car at school... which probably isnt helping my grade.. but anyways.

--

I've decided to lower my car before I put a normal catback on it. (I'll go dual once i get my body kit- which would be next year)

I've decided to go with a KYB AGX strut with GC coils setup.
All for around, 260+ 210 = 470 ish.

I also plan to install these with a help of a friend. Has anybody installed their own suspension or has extensive experience in this area?

Any input?
Old 11-06-2002, 12:23 PM   #29
AzCivic

I installed my own. Same struts, different springs.

As far as input: impact wrench, it'll help tremendously.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:19 PM   #30
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

AZ: doesnt the apexi ws hang pretty low? I hear a lot of people complaining that it scrapes a lot on lowered cars.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 05:00 PM   #31
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
AZ: doesnt the apexi ws hang pretty low? I hear a lot of people complaining that it scrapes a lot on lowered cars.

Yeah it hangs kinda low and scrapes when i go over BIG speed bumps, on normal ones it doesnt. The scraping sounds worse than it is though, recently I had my car up on a lift and it was just the resonator that had scrapes and its not really that bad.
If my car was like a 1/4-1/2" higher it would scrape at all.
The sound of the exhaust is real good, nice and deep.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:15 PM   #32
Honda530

AIRMASS WARLOCK!!! hehe I swear Im like one of the only people with it on my car. I think it sounds great It looks prett nice you can see it in my pictures and it doesnt hang low like at all. It is kind of on the loud side though.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:34 PM   #33
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

LOL, I'm probably going to get an obx b2 full cat setup.

Thanks for the input,

Whats the purpose of using an impact wrench over a socket? Other than ease and speed?

Old 11-07-2002, 11:33 AM   #34
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda530
AIRMASS WARLOCK!!! hehe I swear Im like one of the only people with it on my car. I think it sounds great It looks prett nice you can see it in my pictures and it doesnt hang low like at all. It is kind of on the loud side though.

Your car is still at the stock height right? You cant really judge if it hangs low or not, can you?
Old 11-07-2002, 11:34 AM   #35
AzCivic

Quote:
LOL, I'm probably going to get an obx b2 full cat setup.

Thanks for the input,

Whats the purpose of using an impact wrench over a socket? Other than ease and speed?

well those are the reasons. Your car is pretty new, so it probably wont be as much of a pain in the ass as my car was.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:38 PM   #36
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Coo, thanks.

I'm winning an auction for a set of kyb agx struts! w00t.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:00 PM   #37
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Do skunk2 coilovers really sux that bad?

What are some good brands to look for? I want coilovers, not just lowered springs
Old 11-07-2002, 10:36 PM   #38
ShagginJet

I went with cosmo racing. The dual spring setup is just awesome.

www.cosmoracing.com

Old 11-08-2002, 02:59 AM   #39
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

so did you actually get these coilovers?

I see these coilovers on ebay for like 60 bux.... dayyyyyyaaaaaam! i'm tempted. Even if they do suck, its just 60 bucks right? :\ hmm.. The only thing im worried about is this "squeaking" noise that crappy coilovers are supposed to have, and horrible ride quality.

Old 11-11-2002, 04:02 PM   #40
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Does anybody know how to get the door assembly off?