::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2002, 01:23 AM   #1
h0ndap0w3r

greddy turbo Good or bad?

hey i was wondering if the greddy turbo for the sohc v tec is wort the money and the time. i mainly just want some feed back so thanks.and what kinda hp would i be pushing as well as what else would i need to saftely run the turbo to about 10-12psi, injectors etc. thanks all.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:47 AM   #2
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

You can't turn the boost on a Greddy kit any higher then 10psi without internal modification to the turbo itself. I am running the kit at 10psi on my del sol and it was hands down the best money I have spent to date.

If you want to run 10psi run the setup I have. It works great and was bought on a budget.

Apexi Twin chamber blow off valve
Greddy intercooler
greddy turbo timer
autometer boost guage
autometer air/fuel guage
b&m command flow fuel flow modifier
apexi vafc (optional, for precise fuel tuning)
bbk 255lph fuel pump
venom injectors
aem fuel rail
b&m fuel pressure guage mounted on fuel rail

I cranked up the boost and started replacing parts until the car ran good. Then hooked a wide band O2 sensor up and went to town fine tuning the fuel system and timing. It's tricky to tune a vtec with a turbo. You are going to need a dyno and a wide band oxygen sensor to use in tuning.

Also it doesn't take much time to install the turbo kit. It took me about 2.5 hours total for the turbo kit, and another hour for the intercooler. If you are going to be running 10psi I would also recommend the following, trust me I blew all this stuff at 10psi.

Arias low compression forged pistons
Total seal rings
greddy 2mm head gasket
arp head studs

My pistons cracked to pieces at 10psi after about two weeks of driving with the boost up that high.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:04 PM   #3
h0ndap0w3r

hey well u put it on a dohc v tec right. well i wanted to turbo a sohc v tec. is there ne difference in the 2 besides an extra cam. well i was going to turbo a d16y8 or z6 im not sure yet but ne ways. thanks for the info. and really only 10psi i heard of people pushing about 12-15 on the greddy turbo. well maby those people got the ballz to do it.

o so how much did the whole package cost u. with everything? thanks.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:17 PM   #4
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by h0ndap0w3r
hey well u put it on a dohc v tec right. well i wanted to turbo a sohc v tec. is there ne difference in the 2 besides an extra cam. well i was going to turbo a d16y8 or z6 im not sure yet but ne ways. thanks for the info. and really only 10psi i heard of people pushing about 12-15 on the greddy turbo. well maby those people got the ballz to do it.

theres alot more of a difference in the dohc vtec and sohc vtec than just an extra cam. and "just" an extra cam is a huge thing

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 02:24 PM   #5
thermal
Banning Machine

i know people on the web boosting 12psi with it on their SOHC. just make sure that your engine internals are somewhat strenghtened before pushing anything higher than 8psi, IMO. a rule of thumb: 1 psi boost is equal to 10 +/- 2 HP gain depending on the tuning. i think that the GReddy kit is the best for SOHC application. i havent had any problems with mine since day one, except minor installation discrepancies that i messed up. you'll sure take an I/H/E GSR and Si. peace

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 02:32 PM   #6
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

Quote:

I'm running a Greddy kit on a D16Z6 SOHC Vtec.

Turbo Kit - 1650$
Intercooler - 700$
Pistons - 400$
Rings - 100$
Head gasket - 180$
Injectors - 190$
Fuel rail - 150$
Fuel pump - 150$
Fuel flow modifier - 40$
Turbo Timer - 90$
blow off valve - 175$
Apexi VAFC - 350$
ARP head studs - 100$

The guages and stuff I don't really know what the price was. My bro bought them for me.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:00 PM   #7
h0ndap0w3r

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
i know people on the web boosting 12psi with it on their SOHC. just make sure that your engine internals are somewhat strenghtened before pushing anything higher than 8psi, IMO. a rule of thumb: 1 psi boost is equal to 10 +/- 2 HP gain depending on the tuning. i think that the GReddy kit is the best for SOHC application. i havent had any problems with mine since day one, except minor installation discrepancies that i messed up. you'll sure take an I/H/E GSR and Si. peace

what the heck is i/h/e thats all i want to noe. thanks. so up to 8 psi is safe on stock internals. and ne more what would i have to do. like pistons, rings, rods, cams, and so on just let me noe.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:09 PM   #8
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
what the heck is i/h/e

Intake, header, and exhaust

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 04:01 PM   #9
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

Quote:
what the heck is i/h/e thats all i want to noe. thanks. so up to 8 psi is safe on stock internals. and ne more what would i have to do. like pistons, rings, rods, cams, and so on just let me noe.

8psi is pushing the envelope on stock internals. Running an intercooler will make it a little safer, and a blow off valve is a must to keep your turbo safe from backpressure when the throttle plate closes.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:22 PM   #10
h0ndap0w3r

but whats i/h/e and yes i will run an intercooler. and blow off valve and so on.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:38 PM   #11
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

i/h/e is short for

i = intake
h = header
e = exhaust

He is saying you will be able to spank integras or civic si's that are equipped with the above.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:04 PM   #12
h0ndap0w3r

o thanks c thats what i wanted to noe. haha well shit i hope so. its turbo. ne more feed back or things i need to noe b4 going to turbo. ne set up ideas on what set up i should run on a 89 hatch w/d16y8?
Old 11-10-2002, 11:12 PM   #13
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

Quote:
o thanks c thats what i wanted to noe. haha well shit i hope so. its turbo. ne more feed back or things i need to noe b4 going to turbo. ne set up ideas on what set up i should run on a 89 hatch w/d16y8?

With a D16Y8 you can run everything I listed above and am currently running in my car minus the VAFC, you can however get an apexi Super AFC, it's the same thing as the VAFC with no vtec control.

Trust me, my car makes great power. I smoked a 4.6L Mustang GT just the other night with my 295lb buddy in my passenger seat. How's that for single cam power?
Old 11-11-2002, 10:31 AM   #14
thermal
Banning Machine

anything above stock 5.5 psi, i definitely recommend intercooled. BOV is a must regarless of what the boost setting is. gotta have the turbo timer as well.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 03:10 PM   #15
Almighty-Si

Greddy turbo kit with intercooler and hondata will hold 10psi daily. Can't tell you for how long though as no honda engine will last as long with boost as a stock motor will but I can tell you this, my friends 99 Civic SOHC has been running that setup for 2 years now. Put the turbo on the motor at 7,500 miles and the car now just turned 40,000 miles and it's still running strong.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:32 PM   #16
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Almighty-Si
Greddy turbo kit with intercooler and hondata will hold 10psi daily. Can't tell you for how long though as no honda engine will last as long with boost as a stock motor will but I can tell you this, my friends 99 Civic SOHC has been running that setup for 2 years now. Put the turbo on the motor at 7,500 miles and the car now just turned 40,000 miles and it's still running strong.

Try running 10psi on a honda motor with over 75000 miles and I guarantee your motor is toast within a month.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:43 PM   #17
Almighty-Si

Quote:
Originally posted by delsolvtec
Try running 10psi on a honda motor with over 75000 miles and I guarantee your motor is toast within a month.

Well I was thinking about this post and my friend just came over with the car cause we had to change the gas filter. So with this post in mind I went and did a compression test on the motor.

1999 Civic EX D16Y8 with 40,700 miles the compression is as follows...

1st cylinder 215
2nd cylinder 211
3rd cylinder 216
4th cylinder 211

Not bad for a motor that has been boosted at 10psi since 7,500 miles I think. Do I think that the motor will last over 75,000 miles on this boost if I had to answer now, I would say yes after this compression test. How far past it will it make it, I don't know. I guess I will have to wait a year till the next compression test.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:59 PM   #18
h0ndap0w3r

well whats the stock compression usually at. cus how far is it off from the factory compression?
Old 11-15-2002, 01:12 AM   #19
Almighty-Si

Quote:
well whats the stock compression usually at. cus how far is it off from the factory compression?

Not exactly sure cause I never did a compression test on a brand new D16Y8 but if im correct, by rule of thumb it should be some where around the 250 area.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:21 AM   #20
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

Wouldn't a 99 civic be a D16Z6? Or does he have a DX?
Old 11-16-2002, 12:44 AM   #21
h0ndap0w3r

no 92-95 was a d165z6. now do i noe? cus i got one in my garage right now but what ever
Old 11-16-2002, 09:49 AM   #22
Almighty-Si

Quote:
Originally posted by delsolvtec
Wouldn't a 99 civic be a D16Z6? Or does he have a DX?

No, he has a 1999 Civic EX and it has a D16Y8 in it.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:26 PM   #23
h0ndap0w3r

ok then that sounds right. hey does ne one noe how much shunk 2 cams cost for a d16z6 or ne place that sells them? well just let me noe.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:07 PM   #24
MrCLoWnY

I had my Greddy turbo in my car for almost a year and i Killed my block.... But I must say That greddy kit is the best thing i have spent my money on. Instant power and instant gratification. In GREDDY I TRUST.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:27 PM   #25
h0ndap0w3r

thats coo, well not ur bolck part but the rest is good. thanks for the info. lates
Old 12-07-2002, 01:46 PM   #26
Sivik

Quote:
Originally posted by MrCLoWnY
I had my Greddy turbo in my car for almost a year and i Killed my block.... But I must say That greddy kit is the best thing i have spent my money on. Instant power and instant gratification. In GREDDY I TRUST.

what was your setup? how many pounds of boost?

My Car

My Car is for sale
Sivik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #27
fertooos

Hello. Maybe you can advise something. I want to buy bitcoin with credit card. Many forums recommend buying BTC for an amount that you can afford to lose. Bitcoin is still a highly volatile cryptocurrency that can rise or fall in price quickly. I asked, "Can I buy half bitcoin?" And the answer is yes, you can buy as much as you want! Guys, is all this true? What should I do? Please, recommend me something. Thnx.

Last edited by fertooos : 08-27-2020 at 06:19 PM.
fertooos is offline   Reply With Quote