Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Nitrous
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2004, 05:14 PM   #1
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

nitrous refill station

does anyone know where I can find locations in which I can refill my 10lb bottle?
Civic_RedLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 05:25 PM   #2
MissJDM

Local autoparts store such as Schucks.

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 06:27 PM   #3
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

do you know if my bottle could burst if my whole trunk gets rear-ended?
Im trying to test out the nitrous, but I wanna make sure everythings A-ok before I test it out.
Im waiting til monday so I can call Edelbrock's tech-line.
I hope the bottle will not burst if the rear-end of my vehicle gets smashed.
I dont want to get hurt neither want anyone else getting hurt.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:59 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Of course it could burst. If the trunk is crushed, the bottle may get damaged - if there is a spark it will explode. That rule applies to gas too...
As long as your rear bumper is strong, it should do its job, and protect the gas, and n2o...and you.

I have never seen an exploded n2o tank though...ever
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:07 PM   #5
thermal
Banning Machine

Dude, quit watching F&F.... j/k.

Anyway, like pdiggs says, same thing could happen to a gas tank.

Also, as far as refill station, check out your local performance shops. It doesnt have to be an import shop neither. You're in LA man. I bet refill station is just around your corner.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:14 PM   #6
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

Real good news!! thank you. I was scared that it might burst.
Anyways, Im still going to wait til monday to talk to an edelbrock technician about my installation. Afterall, I'm not a newbie following directions, but I am quite new to cars.

Hey Thermal, is that a carbon fiber grill you have on your civic? I was thinking of getting carbon fiber grill to go with my black, but I must get carbon fiber hood and eyelids, maybe a front lip too, in order to match it. If it is a carbon grill, please tell me how it looks close up.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:07 PM   #7
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
Of course it could burst. If the trunk is crushed, the bottle may get damaged - if there is a spark it will explode.

pdiggs where did you get this? cause it is wrong(the spark part)
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:10 PM   #8
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

i think he meant the gas will explode if the gas tank leaks. Nitrous isnt flammable
Old 12-11-2004, 10:11 PM   #9
AzCivic

if you're really all that worried about it, mount the bottle behind the drivers seat w/ a blow off tube. added bonus: you don't need a remote bottle opener, just reach back and turn the handle.

the one and ONLY time i've seen a nitrous bottle explode is when some idiot installed a bottle warmer straight ghetto syle and didn't have a safety blow off disk installed correctly. so he parked in the garage, turned off the car. since he f'd up the wiring the bottle warmer stayed on all night and w/ no blow off cap the pressure couldnt vent...kaboom.

Last edited by AzCivic : 12-11-2004 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:14 PM   #10
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_RedLine
i think he meant the gas will explode if the gas tank leaks. Nitrous isnt flammable

probably, and even the gas tank shouldnt be a problem, unless you drive a crown vic or caprice that is.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:29 PM   #11
thermal
Banning Machine

It's not a CF grill. It just looks like it. It's a homemade grill I made a while back....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:30 PM   #12
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

when it blew up, did the front get messed up too? or just the trunk? do you know? Ill be more safe if you know.

Oh, I cant mount the bottle in the back seat because where I live, there are alot of thiefs stealing stuff. So if I do put the bottle in the back seat, people will see it easily and steal it. I put on a rope on my trunk so no one can open it very easily, unless they cut the rope in the back holding the trunk. Also got clifford alarm installed a month ago, but I dont really trust the alarm as much as the rope because they can just break windows easily while the alarm is paging me, steal something inside the back seat, by the time I come out with my pistol, the thiefs will probably be gone.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:15 PM   #13
pdiggitydogg

Well, I didnt mean it like f&f (NAAAWWS!! *KABOOOOOOM* With crazy green flames and jumping cars)
The compressed oxygen content and a spark would cause a mild explosion (guess it would depend on the size of the hole). At least thats my experiece from some oxide gases
Old 12-11-2004, 11:43 PM   #14
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_RedLine
when it blew up, did the front get messed up too? or just the trunk? do you know? Ill be more safe if you know.

Oh, I cant mount the bottle in the back seat because where I live, there are alot of thiefs stealing stuff. So if I do put the bottle in the back seat, people will see it easily and steal it. I put on a rope on my trunk so no one can open it very easily, unless they cut the rope in the back holding the trunk. Also got clifford alarm installed a month ago, but I dont really trust the alarm as much as the rope because they can just break windows easily while the alarm is paging me, steal something inside the back seat, by the time I come out with my pistol, the thiefs will probably be gone.

i'll put it this way, you do not want to be anywhere near it. but stop worrying about it, unless you're an idiot the bottle isnt going to explode. I have NEVER ever ever EVER, heard of someone getting in an accident w/ a nitrous bottle and it exploding. I think if you were in an accident that was bad enough to really damage the bottle, you'll probably be dead anyway.

and if you're just worried about someone stealing it, just diguise it. like the gym bag thing. its either that or have it in the trunk and either pay $200 or so for a remote bottle opener or look stupid running to the back of your car to open the bottle.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:44 PM   #15
AzCivic

Quote:
Well, I didnt mean it like f&f (NAAAWWS!! *KABOOOOOOM* With crazy green flames and jumping cars)
The compressed oxygen content and a spark would cause a mild explosion (guess it would depend on the size of the hole). At least thats my experiece from some oxide gases

nitrous has to be subjected to the extreme temp of that inside the combustion chamber before it will release its oxygen.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:59 PM   #16
pdiggitydogg

wouldnt the temperature from a buring tank of gas be enough to separate the oxygen content?
Old 12-12-2004, 12:13 AM   #17
AzCivic

you said a spark! not a flaming inferno, ahahhaaha.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:26 AM   #18
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

either way, its always better to be safe than sorry. I had to learn it the hard way, now Im no longer taking any risks. Even the smallest risks. Like I said, you dont know where I live man. I live in the ghettos. have you ever heard the joke, why dont white men ever bring their cars to the ghettos. Its because theyll get jacked in a second.
People here are scandlous. They dont care if your an old grandma or a student thats socially nice. They'll jack you even if your kobe bryant. My other lesson was to get the alarm first before anything else which was too late anyways.

I cant put the bottle in the back, therefore it will go into the trunk. And I aint buying no 200$ bottle opener, Ill just open it before I drive, instead of pulling over to open the bottle at any given moment. Id rather spend that 200$ on the edelbrock heater and pressure guage.

Oh yah I forgot to say that schucks in California is aka kragen here. For some reason, every kragen(schucks) auto store does not refill nitrous. Can anyone help me find a place to fill my tank, so I can test it on monday?
Old 12-12-2004, 11:01 AM   #19
pdiggitydogg

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
you said a spark! not a flaming inferno, ahahhaaha.

Psh..details details
Old 12-12-2004, 02:54 PM   #20
AzCivic

civic redline: one thing you do not want to do is drive around all the time w/ the bottle open, by doing so the nitrous solenoid probably won't last near as long as it should.

also, stop looking at regular parts stores to refill the bottle, they don't do that, look for "speed shops" the little stores that specialize in aftermarket parts. look in the phone book, their add might even tell you if they do n2o refills, if not, give one a call they should direct you to a shop who does.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:54 PM   #21
AzCivic

Quote:
Psh..details details

hahahhaha!!
Old 12-12-2004, 02:57 PM   #22
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

ok, damn, I see alot on the yellow pages. Ill call each and every one to see where I can fill it up. I read my manual and I think it did say dont open bottle for too long, but really, how much is too long? thirty mins? afterall, Im not going to spray everyday, only sometimes on weekends. I need to make the 10lb bottle last me a month or two because 50$ isnt easy money
Old 12-12-2004, 03:05 PM   #23
AzCivic

30mins is probably a little to long but if its just everyonce in awhile you might be ok, but the less time the better.

i'd really consider putting the bottle behind your seat though, or perhaps moving out of the ghetto.

so what kit are you running and what size "shot"?
Old 12-12-2004, 03:38 PM   #24
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

Im running the edelbrock universal kit with 50 shot. I would go 30 but my friend has better prices on edelbrock than with NX which gives the 30 shot nitrous. Edelbrock minimum shot is 50-70. I adjusted the lines to shoot 50 than after a while, I migght shoot 70.

Oh and REALLY!?!?!? 30 mins is too long? every trip I take at least takes one hour. From home to school, from school to home.
Where I live isnt totally the ghetto but it is however ghetto. All the white people who live there too get mad because the houses where I live are nice, just the people are fucked.

Anyways, Im still going to call EDELBROCK monday because they arent open today. After I call them and get OEM suggestions, Ill test out the nitrous.

PS: my friend gets 30% off edelbrock parts so I bought it. Besides Edelbrock has the most complete kits. I was stupid enough to put nitrous than turbo because he couldve gotten the edelbrock turbo kit for 2g + 600 install I basically paid 450 for the nitrous kit which still doesnt cover whatever else stuff I need pressure guage, air fuel, purge etc.
Either way, I used my money on looks rather than a turbo be cause I already know my engine is a peice of shit 127 hp

Last edited by Civic_RedLine : 12-12-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:05 PM   #25
AzCivic

i maybe going on the cautious side w/ the 30mins thing, call up edelbrock and see what they say.

they make nice kits, have fun.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:44 PM   #26
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

ok, I didnt know nor mightve missed the article, but i didnt recognize that the bottle shouldnt be turned on for more than 30 mins, or for a long time. Ill double check to make sure. Ill also make sure to have it on less, like lets say off the freeway.
Maybe that remote bottle opener would help afterall. I thought it was a waste of 200$ but it could be used for other things such as if a cop pulls you over and you have it on, you can press the button to turn it off so they wont impound my car.
In california its not illegal to have Nitrous in the car, as long as it is not on.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:54 PM   #27
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

I just got done talking to edelbrock and they told me that its ok to leave the nitrous on.
Just not to leave it on for days etc.

Also my damn kit was supposed to come with a freagin pressure gauge which it didnt. So hopefully edelbrock sends me another.

AZ: when you had nitrous, did you put it to the throttle body or just used an activation switch because the kit I bought only gives me one choice which is press the nitrous to use and depress to turn off.
The way I wanted the nitrous t o be was I click the switch and the nitrous sprays only when acceleration pedal is fully press (wob)
Old 12-13-2004, 01:44 PM   #28
AzCivic

thats good, although i'd still wouldnt leave it on for more than an hour.

i never got around to actually installing it, i changed my mind and sold the kit. BUT, I would have installed a microswitch that would've been activated by the throttle body when at WOT.

are you sure it doesnt have another switch, there's one to arm it and another that actually makes it spray.
if this is the kit: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...act/index.html

i can see both the switches right by the rolled up nitrous line.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:16 PM   #29
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

no, the way mines is installed is, you flip the switch and it sprays automatically, it doesnt know when its at wot. I do want to have the switch where it only sprays at wot, but I think you have to purchase that seperately. I would buy it, but I dont know what to buy. Im going to ask edelbrock unless you guys know what to buy in order to make it automatically spray at wot.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:24 PM   #30
AzCivic

So yours doesnt look like this?

i think you're confused.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:15 PM   #31
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

mines is the performer efi wet system. It is the powder coated tank.

Im running 80 shots, which is the maximum for my application.

Edelbrock gave me a nitrous pressure gauge and extra solenoids for free. I went to their headcouters in torrance. Vic Edelbrock will replace parts for you too. All I did was call them and told them I was missing some parts. They then will replace your missing item/s, shipped or picked up.

The 10lb. bottle fill-up was only $40 at a hot rod performance store.

If your gonna go nos, might as well go all out because they have limits to 4-6 cylinder. Kit states 40-60 shot but actually gains 40-80

Last edited by Civic_RedLine : 12-13-2004 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:08 PM   #32
AzCivic

so was the micro switch missing or something? was this kit opened? it sounds like your missing alot of stuff.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:24 AM   #33
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

yeah, I was missing the solenoids and pressure gauge. It wasnt opened because the person I bought it from has 6 other kits exactly the same and it didnt come with it. So good thing I noticed it. Edelbrock's site says it comes with gauge but manual doesnt, so edelbrock gave me a free gauge and the company free gauges.

ANYWAYS, I just had some trouble doing the electrical to the throttle body. Im asking my friend for some help. I also dont know where to put the button.
Im running 80 shot straight up without testing the lowest setting first. You think thats ok?
Old 12-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #34
AzCivic

NO start at the LOWEST setting!!

soo, when are you talking about running electrical stuff to the Throttle body, are you talking about the switch that activates the nitrous? If so, its supposed to be activated by the arm on the throttle body that the throttle linkage it connected to, when you go WOT that arm will swing back and just hit the switch.

Oh, also..START AT THE LOWEST SETTING!!
Old 12-14-2004, 06:20 PM   #35
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

yeah it only activates at full throttle. Its actually a button that is pressed on the throttly body. I started at 80 hp because edelbrock just told me not go over 80 shots. thats all
Old 12-15-2004, 05:20 AM   #36
AzCivic

yeah thats exactly what i thought, its called a microswitch.

did they also tell you what exactly you need to do to run that 80shot?? like run colder heatrange spark plugs and retard the timing? do you know how to retard the timing?

start at the lowest setting!!! nitrous is not something you want to mess around with, done right its great, done wrong..well just hope it doesnt go wrong.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:09 AM   #37
AzCivic

so did you install this??
Old 12-21-2004, 11:10 AM   #38
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

yeah bro, been running it for a week and half now. I had to refill again after a week. Overall, the bottle lasted about 50 times. I think thats a little, but you got to remember that Im running the highest setting(80hp), therefore more nitrous usage. I refilled the bottle yesterday.
As for the nitrous, I am running quite rich. If Im on the freeway, it runs fine, but If Im cruising down the street spraying then st opping at another light, car strugges at idle, if I rev the engine it will go away, but I dont like the idea that I have to rev it to let all the excess gas out. Im still very satisfied with this kit because I beat my friends junkyard turbo civic at 10psi.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:12 AM   #39
AzCivic

any pics?
Old 12-23-2004, 01:43 PM   #40
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

yeah, ill post some pictures up later. My cameras at my gfs house.