::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Supercharger
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2001, 06:02 PM   #1
hypa

Jrsc

It seems that there are a lot of people who don't like the jrsc kit here. For sh1ts and giggles, lets get into the reasons why.

I love my jrsc. I wish I could cool the air going in, but other than that it's a great system. The M62 comes stock on the SLK, the Grand Prix and a number of other vehicles.

For fun, here's a dyno comparison for you from all the info on clubsi.com a well respected Honda tuner site.

RPM-------Vortech------JRSC
1,000-----no data-----no data
1,500-----no data-------25
2,000-----no data-------35
2,500-----no data-------50
3,000--------43---------64
3,500--------56---------80
4,000--------71---------95
4,500--------84--------110
5,000--------98--------120
5,500-------115--------135
6,000-------140--------150
6,500-------165--------162
7,000-------190--------170
7,500-------207--------177
8,000-------218--------175
Max HP------218-------177.2
Max TQ------146-------133.8

it's funny that the glorious Vortech actually makes less power until 6500 rpm.

So I ask you...
What's the big problem with the jrsc?
Old 10-01-2001, 07:19 PM   #2
GS-Racer01

I agree, I think for certain people the JRSC is a great mod. Do you autocross any or drag mostly or just use it for more power?

Also in the dyno comparison do you know how much boost they are running and is the Vortech running with the aftercooler?

Really besides just the need for more power is the only reason I see for people not to be happy with a JRSC well that and intake temp. I have only heard one "horror" story about a JRSC besides that no real complaints..
Old 10-01-2001, 08:04 PM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I think a lot of the complaints you will here are from civic owners... I mean lets face it.. Bolton a JRSC for 2500, and you have about as much power as a GSR (I know you probably have better lowend.) Then its a little harder to get more power out of it then it is to get power out of a Turbo.. I agree though the JRSC is good for stuff like autocross, but these days with a smaller turbo and can get almost no lag with some fine tuning and still make more power in the long run. I think GSRs and SIs benifit from the JRSC more then the SOHC motors.. I think thats why you have a lot more people that dont like them all that great, because we put them on weak motors and dont really see that great of results for the $$$..

Just my .02 anyway..
Old 10-01-2001, 08:29 PM   #4
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

Most people don't like the JRSC because they want upgradeability. They only have a pulley to like what? 8 or 10
A turbo can boost up to 30 or whatever. Plus some people just like the sound of the blow off valve, so they buy a turbo. You can spend 2500 for a SC or 1500 for a greddy turbo and get better results with the turbo. Gee, what would I get? Personally, I would get the turbo. Thats my .02 cents
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 01:58 AM   #5
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

The reason the Vortech always comes out ahead of the JRSC is simple- it's running more boost. As for the temperature issue, that's easily remedied with Jackson's intercooler.

The Vortech suffers from what I believe to be obvious design flaws. First, it's located approximately where you stock airbox is. This means charge air must travel further from the turbine to reach its destination. The JRSC, on the other hand, blows directly into the intake ports. Also, the Vortech turbine is driven by a rod stretching across the front of the engine bay. Parasitic drag, maybe? Finally, the Vortech is nothing without its aftercooler. Not only is the charge air heated when compressed, but once again it has to travel further before combustion, meaning it spends more time being heated. Again, the JRSC blows directly into the intake ports- slap the intercooler on, and you've got a great setup.

As for upgradeability, you can always get the stepper pulleys. If you want to run more than 10 psi, you shold either be looking at a turbo or a larger blower.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 10:17 AM   #6
Boosted3g

At first I was not real impressed with the charger for a few reasons. The main thing is that I have an Ls so it came with the smaller (40 something ccs) blower. I felt it was too small and really lacked power in the high end. Second, the thing was a ***** to install and I hate cutting wires in a stock harness. But for its downfalls I will say that you throw a little NOS on that thing and it will rip. I knocked 1.5 seconds off my time with just a 75 shot added to the blower. I would say the heck with the Jackson intercooler just get a little nitrous. All in all though the kit is only 2500 and when you think about it that really is not a lot of cash. You can easily spend jsut as much on i/h/e and some electronic gadgets. Hell or even some guys car stereos are worth double that. Jsut trying to give a perspective from both sides of the fence.
Old 10-19-2001, 01:13 PM   #7
GS-Racer01

I have heard stories of a SC Maxima in the Dallas/Ft Worth area killing BPU Supras with that type of setup SC and nitrous..