Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2003, 12:47 PM   #1
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

****COST OF WAR in IRAQ*****

Pretty sick. I was watching the news when they mention this web site. This is a real estimate of the cost of war. The war cost about 2000$ usd.. per second.

$Cost of War$

Somhow I think the money could have been spent in more productive manner.

HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 12:57 PM   #2
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

WOW
do you think it's true though?

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 02:51 PM   #3
Duckydos

Ok, the way I look at it. If Mr. George Bush didn't send troops into Iraq, there would have been a war anyways. But instead of it being on their turf, it would have been in our backyrds. To keep our way of life we must make sacrafices.

-Ducky
Old 09-24-2003, 03:00 PM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

I'm not sure about those numbers. Although guided-missiles are not cheap.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 03:45 PM   #5
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by Duckydos
Ok, the way I look at it. If Mr. George Bush didn't send troops into Iraq, there would have been a war anyways. But instead of it being on their turf, it would have been in our backyrds. To keep our way of life we must make sacrafices.

-Ducky

Yeah I think you got it right....

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 07:00 PM   #6
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Personally I don't care. Here's the thing....our president is a moron and he'll drugde on regardless of what we think so that money's gonna get spent whether you like it or not. I mean...our national debt was already well into the trillions...what's another billion per week? And if ANYONE thinks that the cost of war can measured in dollars you're sadly mistaken.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 08:17 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

insane...but i think it is a little over embellished maybe
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:32 PM   #8
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

it seems right... i herd roughly a billion a week was the cost

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:40 PM   #9
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

I dont know the details, so my opinion is close to worthless.. However, didnt we go to IRAQ primarily to destroy certain nuclear weapons. Which we didnt find..

Survival of the fittest, another animalistic way of life..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:27 PM   #10
mylittlecivic

i wouldnt doubt it

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 03:00 AM   #11
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord Man
I dont know the details, so my opinion is close to worthless.. However, didnt we go to IRAQ primarily to destroy certain nuclear weapons. Which we didnt find..

Survival of the fittest, another animalistic way of life..

Read this... someone who is there wrote this.. not someone who is NOT there....

The countryside is getting more safe by the day despite all the attacks you are hearing about. Imagine every shooting incident or robbery committed in LA or Portland being blown way out of proportion. This is a country where most of the Saddam Hussein thugs are being chased around like scared rabbits by Coalition forces. It is literally open season on them! We hunt them down like animals. There were about a million soldiers in the Iraqi army at the beginning of hostilities and most of them took off before we attacked. There are some that were very loyal to Saddam that are trying to sneak around and take pot shots at us. We are cleaning them up pretty fast. There are also thugs from other countries running around, like Iran and Syria. Well, the Iraqis hate these thugs as much as we do. So the Iraqi people are hunting them down too! I can honestly say 98% of the population of Iraq love us and they do not want us to leave...ever! They say as long as we are here they feel safe.

What is going on with the countries infrastructure? Everything is going well! The railroad is running again! The railroad has not run since 1991. In the city of Hilllah, the power stays on 24 hours a day and it has more power than prior to the war. Some Iraqis are worried about getting too much food from the coalition because they don't have enough room in their homes to store it.

The markets are open. The Seabees have rebuilt all of the schools and put in furniture and chalkboards. The kids used to sit on the floor! Now they have nice desks to sit at. Commerce is running. New money is being printed. The Iraqi dinar has stabilized and is now increasing in value. Most of the Iraqi men want to buy Chevy pickups (I told them a Dodge Ram with a Cummins Diesel is better Ha Ha). They pretty much want any vehicle made by General Motors. The highways and bridges are being repaired. In the Universities, the girls have tossed their deshakas (long black dresses with head and face coverings) and are now wearing western style clothes and even some are wearing short sleeves. The favorite drink is Pepsi, followed by Coke. They want us to bring them any and everything American. Any item made in America or that is from America is worth money over here.

The newspapers and television paint a picture of doom and gloom and that we are having major problems over here. That is just not the case. The Iraqis have a saying about the situation over here "Every day is better than the day before". Life is flowing back in to this country and it is fun to watch and I am so glad I got to watch it happen. Some days watching the Iraqi people is like watching the faces of little kids on Christmas Day! Many of them are walking around in a daze wondering what to do with their freedom.

They are starting businesses everywhere. They want to build shopping malls and factories, they want McDonalds and Jack in the Box and Pizza Hut. Of course anything American Fast Food, because of the stories the troops are telling them. We give them our old newspapers and magazines that you have been sending us and they are absolutely flabbergasted when they read them! They want us to keep bringing them. They read every single page even the advertisements over and over! This would be a good time for media to get their magazines going over here because the Iraqis just love them.

So in short you see I will give you the straight scoop and keep you informed of what is up over here. Thanks again to all of you for your support.

Senior Chief Art Messer
22 Naval Construction Regiment (Forward) Task Force Charlie
U. S. Navy Seabees
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 03:06 AM   #12
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Take that with a grain of salt...it's written by a military member about a limited portion of the country. You think a senior military officer would report bad news for all to see? No. I have no doubt things are improving, but I don't like being the one to pay for those things when there are much better ways to spend that money. Perhaps...say...ON PROBLEMS IN THIS COUNTRY.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 09-25-2003, 03:23 AM   #13
sc0rch

were doing a wonderfull job in iraq.....WHY THE FUK ARE WE THERE...to liberate a bunch of ****in ungreatfull fuk heads......i say kill them all...level the ground and build a huge fuking amusement park.......

dont give me that "we invaded them so they should hate us" well if they all liked being threatned every day of there lives and told what to do.....then we should just beat the **** out of them all and tell them to make us PIE......latest poll %44 hate us %22 like us

hmmmmmm were doing a good job i'd say.......fuk um all let them die......ungreatfull shits
Old 09-25-2003, 08:58 AM   #14
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by sc0rch
were doing a wonderfull job in iraq.....WHY THE FUK ARE WE THERE...to liberate a bunch of ****in ungreatfull fuk heads......i say kill them all...level the ground and build a huge fuking amusement park.......

dont give me that "we invaded them so they should hate us" well if they all liked being threatned every day of there lives and told what to do.....then we should just beat the **** out of them all and tell them to make us PIE......latest poll %44 hate us %22 like us

hmmmmmm were doing a good job i'd say.......fuk um all let them die......ungreatfull shits

Wow.. how biased can you be???? You believe something from the NEWS completely.. yet something comes from someone who is THERE.. and it is horseshit.. stop being weak minded.. From what I have SEEN, being in the country and all... since I am HERE.. the iraqis like us. Latest poll? From where? Your ass? Latest poll was OVER 2/3 were glad we are HERE. You know what ones don't like us? The Baath party members that used to be able to do whatever they wanted.

We have been supporting Operation Northern Watch and Southern Watch for over a decade.. this will finally end that shit. Pardon my french but wake the **** up.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:01 AM   #15
VR4_Craver
Banned

no no...What we should have done is not ****ed around with this for so long. We should have used some of the old stock piled missles that we have like the ones that visisted japan after Pearl Harbor. Used them and turned that place into lake america over there. But no god forbid that we waste a few civilians that dont even like us. People say im wrong because i would have heartlessly drop them bombs and killed civilians. In case they hadnt noticed that they kiled what was it 7,000 of our civilians. Bush shouldnt be dicking around. Nuke those ****ing rag heads and make that our territory.
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:39 PM   #16
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Actually our presence there is an insult to them AND us. The definition and proprietary function of a govenment is to be an organization that protects it's citizens. If it fails to do that in any sense of the word then it's the CITIZEN'S responsibility to overthrow or change said government. It's NOT the responsibility of a country half way around the world. We've already done enough damage to that country...over 500,000 civilians killed as a result of earlier attacks and sanctions. Why add insult to injury at the taxpayer's expense? I for one don't want money taken out of my paychecks to "accidentally" incinerate a school or a pharmaceuticals lab *cough* like in Serbia *cough*. Bottom line is we didn't do what we went there to do...Saddam is still alive and there weren't any WMDs so why the hell are we still there? You think Saddam is coming back while we're there? You think those WMDs will magically appear? It's time to cut our losses and take our people out of harms way.

Old 09-25-2003, 01:51 PM   #17
sc0rch

if they like us there so much then why do i know 3 people who have been injured.....my town is very small and i know 3 of 4 people who went that got injured......2 of them had there hummer attacked and the other i'm not sure what happend.......

tell me i'm weak minded again once you find a real point to war.....once you do that then let me know......since war is ignorant yet a must...i say we destroy everything and limit the possibility of another war with someone we've already been to war with
Old 09-25-2003, 02:11 PM   #18
armyguy5
3rd Gear

i was working with serveral iraqi's buring trash....and one of them pick up an insert from a bra package w/ a picture of a woman with just a bra and panties on.....he picked it up and licked it and sad "beautiful american women" i said yes......they asked to see pictures of america.....they said they wanted to move to chicago or new york....they would take old maxim's or stuff's out of the trash and just sit and stare and would stop working...they read it back to front (like they usually do) and were just amazed

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 02:28 AM   #19
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by armyguy5
i was working with serveral iraqi's buring trash....and one of them pick up an insert from a bra package w/ a picture of a woman with just a bra and panties on.....he picked it up and licked it and sad "beautiful american women" i said yes......they asked to see pictures of america.....they said they wanted to move to chicago or new york....they would take old maxim's or stuff's out of the trash and just sit and stare and would stop working...they read it back to front (like they usually do) and were just amazed

chris

All Iraqis I have run across are amazed at what america has as well. They are very excited to see what's to come.. Yes, this should not have been delayed for this long. we should have dont this 10 years ago..

An GT, let's please get this straight... our goal was not to capture Saddam.. please keep in ming that was strictly a bonus.. capturing him and placing him on trial for crimes against humanity. The goal was to remove him from power. Achieved. His sons are dead, and his sons were MUCH worse that Saddam was.

WMD?? Never existed??? Again.. wake the **** up. In the past 10 years here do you think these WMD have been smuggled? With all the warnings we gave Saddam before the war.. what do you think Saddam was doing?? Do you honestly think he NEVER had a BW or CW program???? Please tell me you were joking.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:38 AM   #20
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Well excuse me for watching news reports. I was under the opinion that we were hunting Saddam like a wounded dog. Why else would there have been daily reports as to his whereabouts? i agree that we tried to remove him from power...by killing his sorry ass. Oh...and let me remind you we have laws in place that make it illegal for the president to ok the assassination of another head of state. Just overlook that. Secondly, did I say there were NEVER any WMDs? NoOoOoOoO. I said we haven't and won't find any. But they'll pop up the second we're gone (if they had any to begin with). Let's face it...we couldn't blow these people back to the middle ages because they LIVE in the middle ages. What are they gonna make this shit out of? Rocks and sand? but hey...they could've had them but they're long gone now and keeping our people there aren't gonna bring them back and it's costing us money. Do you see any reason in that?

Old 09-26-2003, 06:55 AM   #21
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
Well excuse me for watching news reports.

And there we have our first mistake.. you want to talk corruption? The media is the most corrupt thing that exists. You believe some idiot like Geraldo, but not people who are actually there that know the difference between their ass and a hole in the wall.

Quote:
I was under the opinion that we were hunting Saddam like a wounded dog.

Oh we are.. make no mistake about that.. but as I said before.. that's a bonus.. He should be tried for crimes against humanity. The goal was to remove him from power.. and we have done just that. Goal achieved.

Quote:
i agree that we tried to remove him from power...by killing his sorry ass. Oh...and let me remind you we have laws in place that make it illegal for the president to ok the assassination of another head of state.

Of course we can dance around this back and forth forever.. so what? We were actually going after all senior leadership.. ever heard the old saying chop off the head and the body will die? What about alls fair in love and war? Imagine what would have happened if they managed to off Hitler in WWII.. millions of people would have never died... Please don't ever think about a job in global or national policy...

Quote:
Secondly, did I say there were NEVER any WMDs?

Yes, you did.. in case you forgot, here is what you said:

"...and there weren't any WMDs..." -GT40FIED, 2003

Quote:
Let's face it...we couldn't blow these people back to the middle ages because they LIVE in the middle ages. What are they gonna make this shit out of? Rocks and sand? but hey...they could've had them but they're long gone now and keeping our people there aren't gonna bring them back and it's costing us money. Do you see any reason in that?

I have no idea what you are tlaking about.. why would we want to blow these people into the stone age??? They are mostly good people no different than anyone here...I am sorry if you are bitching about the money the governement is costing "you". I never knew you had it so rough.. I really feel for you in your terribly difficult situation.. I hope you are never in my ****ing world.. you would not last a minute.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:34 AM   #22
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by V8killimports
And there we have our first mistake.. you want to talk corruption? The media is the most corrupt thing that exists. You believe some idiot like Geraldo, but not people who are actually there that know the difference between their ass and a hole in the wall.

Who said anything about Geraldo? Good riddance to that whiney little pussy. But you mentioned "people over there"...and as much as I hate him Geraldo WAS there. No, I don't buy anything that comes from military mouths on TV. You know it's had to pass inspection from a dozen higher ups so by the time you hear it it's so polished it might as well be coming from me.

Quote:
Oh we are.. make no mistake about that.. but as I said before.. that's a bonus.. He should be tried for crimes against humanity. The goal was to remove him from power.. and we have done just that. Goal achieved.

Shoulda Woulda Coulda...bottom line is we haven't really done anything. He's running but as soon as we're gone he could just as easily return and we'd wait another 10 years to go after him. And again, I remind you that assassinating a leader of a country is in violation of numerous laws...but just forget all about that. Laws are for the rest of us.

Quote:
Of course we can dance around this back and forth forever.. so what? We were actually going after all senior leadership.. ever heard the old saying chop off the head and the body will die? What about alls fair in love and war? Imagine what would have happened if they managed to off Hitler in WWII.. millions of people would have never died... Please don't ever think about a job in global or national policy...

Exactly who's head have we cut off? We're not talking Nazi Germany here. Dead or alive there will be enough people still loyal to him to give us a hard time. And if they want us there so bad why constantly try to kill us? You wanna talk media corruption? Let's talk about how every night you see stories of people cheering in the streets when U.S. tanks roll by and then that's followed by a story about an APV or hummer getting attacked. As for what would or would've have happened as far as Hitler is concerned is irrelevent. You really wanna play the hypothectical history game? Compared to what was happening in Russia at the same time hitler was a kitten. Yeah...me in global policy would be terrible. We might actually need a reason to storm countries and bomb them like a clusterf@ck. Geez....think about it...us thinking before we acted. Face it, we're a nation of fear mongers and ethnocentrists who will do what we want when we want and damn anyone who stands in our way. After 9/11 Gun sales at Wal Marts went up 70% and ammo shot up 140% which points out that we all think we're so important that we, as individuals, are targets worthy of attack. There were terror alerts in Kansas City...like Kansas City has anything high profile to destroy (and that's what terrorism is all about...making as big a message as you can while killing the most people. It's half psychological). Maybe we could leave and arm them. Wait...not a good idea. Oh...holy shit...we did back in the 80s when we gave them billions in weapons to kill Iranians. Of course we couldn't leave the Iranians out so we needed Oli North to fund them with weapons. When the f@ck are we gonna learn that we can't give people weapons because eventually we're going to piss everyone off and they'll use those same weapons against us? We give Iraq weapons...now they hate us. We installed Noriega and gave him weapons....ended up killing him and thousands of civilians. We gave Osama Bin Laden billions in weapons and expert CIA training to kick Russia out of Afghanistan....he turned around and planned the deaths of 4,000 people. You wanna talk global policies? How about looking at the big picture for a f@cking change...not who we don't like in the here and now. You think any of these policy makers had a single iota of thought when they gave these people weapons as to ANYTHING that might happen in the future? Or for that matter did they care? Probably not.

Quote:
Yes, you did.. in case you forgot, here is what you said:

"...and there weren't any WMDs..." -GT40FIED, 2003

Actually, that was in reference to the fact that there weren't any WHEN WE GOT THERE. I'm positive they've had them before. Hell...they used them in the Gulf "War" (quotations due to the fact that we never actually declared war).

Quote:
I have no idea what you are tlaking about.. why would we want to blow these people into the stone age??? They are mostly good people no different than anyone here...I am sorry if you are bitching about the money the governement is costing "you". I never knew you had it so rough.. I really feel for you in your terribly difficult situation.. I hope you are never in my ****ing world.. you would not last a minute.

Hey...whether it's $0.50 or $500 it's still money paying for something I don't agree with. You're right...I don't have it that bad. I get by week to week which is more than some people can say. But that doesn't mean I should have to fund something that I consider wrong. You can run your mouth and spout your rhetoric and sanctimony all you want but try as you might you have absolutely no control over what others think and feel so therefore you can't tell someone their opinion is wrong no more than they could say the same to you. As for bombing Iraq into the stone age...where the hell were you during "shock and awe" (which was neither shocking nor awe inspiring)? The whole plan was to drop as much shit on them as possible in the shortest amount of time. What do you think was in those bombs...candy? Face it...we tried to bend them over and do them dry and we didn't care who got hurt in the process. How long do you think Americans would last without clean water or power? Maybe a week...maybe two. Not a month or more than some of these people. From the sound of it I have absolutely no interest in living in "your world". Not quite sure where it is but it sounds pety and small and VERY closed off. You seem offended that I've challenged your little and loud complaints. It's nothing personal...I just think you're wrong and don't agree with you. Look...I agree that we were initially needed there and that something needed to be done. I'm just not sure that what we did was the best thing and our staying there isn't doing anything but putting our people in harm's way and wasting our money. If these people are so good and decent why can't we trust them to take care of their own shit. If I'm to believe any reports I hear, it's only small pockets of resistance that are out to hurt us. Surely an entire nation could overtake a few small pockets? Why are we there? Survey says...money! Wars fuel economies and hey...once we're done they've got tons of oil. Just seems kinda ridiculous.

Old 09-26-2003, 04:09 PM   #23
V8killimports

Ok.. ramble ramble ramble.. First off, Geraldo was there.. then promtly kicked out. So I guess you can say he has something in common with Saddam.. And we was there, but had no ****ing idea what he was talking about.. thank god.

Second, you clearly stated that there were no WMD. Denying it is making you look like an ass.

So we bombed them into the stone age did we? Funny that a week later they had power restored as well as most infrastructure restored in less than a month. In addition, they have had less blackouts/brownouts than they have had for over a decade...

You talk about these isolated incidents, which they are.. they are Baath loyalists conducting these attacks.. I will say this one more time.. in more simple terms for you.. so write this down this time.. There are some people that had plenty of money/power/food/whatever when Saddam was in power.. they were living the good life because they helped develop WMD, eliminated rivals to Saddam.. whatever.. The U.S. comes along.. buts an end to that shit.. now they don't have it so good any more.. so guess what?? They are pissed, and want things to go back the way they were. Just so you know, there were more people injured/killed in the military stateside this month than here in the AOR. So maybe we should pull out of the U.S.? Seems like a much more dangerous place to me.. according to the statistics of course.

And no.. we don't declare war anymore.. and never will. Those days are gone. The next declared war will be declared a war after it is already over.

Ok.. tell you what... You don't pay for the money spent in Iraq.. which you don't anyways since Bush is planning on lowering taxes.. IF.. and I say IF.. I don't have to pay for Social Service shit like welfare, unemployment, food stamps, etc... Do we have a deal?? I didn't think so.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:57 PM   #24
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Actually...good f@cking riddance to welfare, unemployment, and food stamps. I won't be hurt to see them go. There are so few people who actually need them and use them properly that they've worn out their welcome.

My apologies on not being clearer on what I meant when I said there aren't any WMDs. i always forget about the bottom feeders who will misconstrue whatever you say. By that I MEANT that there haven't been any since we've been there and it'll continue that way until after we're gone.

As for the people attacking us...I'm not sure I'd call them "isolated" Isolated means a few...not a few dozen. But like you said...a lot of these people want things back the way they were. That also leaves a lot of people who DO want us there. So you have to choose...either they're good people and we can leave their fate up to them or they're not and we have to stay there and play babysitter.

I dunno about this whole "declaring war" thing. It seems like congress is quick enough to green light military action...I don't see how declaring war would be any different. It just seems like we've gotten lazy (duh)...especially in political venues.

Honestly V8...I think we agree about more things than you'd care to ackowledge, we just don't agree in how they should be handled. I absolutely agree that Iraq is a safer place than America...just not for Americans. Somehow I doubt Iraq had 11,500 shooting murders alone last year...save of course for after we got there. Nobody perpetuates a culture of violence like we do. Perhaps that's why we're so eager to go to "war".