::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2001, 03:57 PM   #1
omega

95 Civic DX

Ok here's the deal, I don't know much about civics, or imports at all, but my previous car(camaro) had it's transmission die, so I am looking to buy a new car and I'm currently look at a 1995 Honda Civic DX, my question is this, I know the aftermarket for Honda Civic's is huge, but if I'm not in it to be getting the best time on the track and really just have a cruising car and partially fast, the the DX series have enough expandibility to reach a good amount of horsepower, I know it's the 1.5 liter as opposed to the 1.6 VTEC in the EX, which gives it a gain of around 20 to 25 horsepower stock, but as far as interior goes, and modifing the body styling is it pretty much the same? Or should I shop around for an EX, additionally, later on if I were to do an engine swap, it wouldn't matter if I started out with the EX or the DX would it? Thanks you guys, I appritiate your help ahead of time.

- omega
Old 11-01-2001, 04:12 PM   #2
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Welcome to HS!

If you're planning on replacing most of the oem parts with aftermarket. I guess I doesnt really matter.

But if mainly an engine swap is out of the question, then you might want to step up and get the EX.

I guess you could also slap a turbo on. But with an engine with such a small displacement you wont be able to handle much boost. Unless some serious rebuilding is done. In which case, that wouldnt be economically wise.

How fast do you wanna be? Numbers would be good.
Cause fast for one may not be fast enough for another.

Let us know..

Hope this helps..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 04:17 PM   #3
omega

well frankly, fast just means not stock, I know that's vague, if I ever get into racing an engine replacement will be what I go for but otherwise I don't care. I mean I couldn't really give numbers seeing as I'm not real big on racing, if I could give a comparison, I'd have to ask what I'd have to do to a DX to get it up to EX power? and then after that what would be cheap mods, I'm gonna have to get a loan on this from the credit union, so most mod's if they're expensive like body kits, etc.. I'll be saving up for, you know, the whole bills, college, etc... sortof soak up your money, I'll be honest with you, I just want it to run pretty nice like an EX or slightly above in the 150 range of HP, 150 to 200 and, I know stock is 125, but most of my modding will be redoing the interior and exterior, BTW, do they sell aftermarket molding for the civics, to replace that ugly black plastic looking part on the side?
Old 11-01-2001, 04:29 PM   #4
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

You are aware that you have about 100 horsies?

And you want around 150.. If you're pretty certain that you dont want the swap, then invest right now in an EX.. Much cheaper than getting a DX and doing everything to it.

Plus aftermarket support is much better on the 1.6

Ya college, tell me about it.. I suffer the same ..

For the black lines on the side.. You just need to paint them.. Lots of peeps do it. You dont really replace the part.

Last edited by Accord Man : 11-01-2001 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2001, 05:32 PM   #5
90civiclxryder

go with the ex, both cars have potential but the ex got more
Old 11-01-2001, 07:57 PM   #6
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Ditto!

And in most cases, its worth the extra cheddar..

Old 11-01-2001, 09:53 PM   #7
omega

Well it looks like I'll be buying the DX simply because of cost issues, so here's my question to you guys, feel free to answer with flames or good advice What are the first three mods I can make to a DX 1.5 that will give me best dollar for horsepower? I know I know, I can hear it now, ENGINE SWAP! Well let me know, air intake? headers? what?

- omega
Old 11-02-2001, 11:11 AM   #8
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by omega
Well it looks like I'll be buying the DX simply because of cost issues, so here's my question to you guys, feel free to answer with flames or good advice What are the first three mods I can make to a DX 1.5 that will give me best dollar for horsepower? I know I know, I can hear it now, ENGINE SWAP! Well let me know, air intake? headers? what?

- omega

Honestly... Just get a drop in K&N air filter, exhaust, things like a good clutch and shorty shifter, and suspension will help you out a little, and those are fairly cheap to do.

You could be on of those few rebels that builds up a 1.5 liter, Ive seen a couple people do it and run 13's or so, these days nothings impossible. It just takes money and time. Just mod at your own pace and learn stuff on the way.Or Maybe later you do decide to swap motors or whatever, either way just have fun with your car.

Last edited by Racing Rice : 11-02-2001 at 12:58 PM.
Racing Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 12:53 PM   #9
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

The only that would really suck is if you build up this engine then swap it out.

::

Old 11-02-2001, 12:57 PM   #10
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord Man
The only that would really suck is if you build up this engine then swap it out.

I dont think youd swap a motor out if you spent all the money to build it up..That wouldnt make much sense..
Old 11-03-2001, 02:18 PM   #11
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

Start with the ex, unless you can get a good deal for a Si. Turbo the ex and you should hit your goal. Getting a Dx, then swapping would cost more IMO. Good luck and welcome to HondaStyle.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 01:39 PM   #12
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

I dont think youd swap a motor out if you spent all the money to build it up..That wouldnt make much sense..

Thats what I'm saying!!

It's just that we see it happen too often..

Old 11-05-2001, 07:39 AM   #13
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord Man

Thats what I'm saying!!

It's just that we see it happen too often..

I think its because when most people start into this hobby.. You do little stuff here and there to experiment, then later you start getting more and more involved... Then it becomes time to grow.. So then you get a new motor that you, not thinking about already having several hundreds if not thousands of $$$ in to you current motor,but you want more power.. In a way its a good thing and a bad thing.:: ::
Old 11-19-2001, 06:54 PM   #14
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

get teh EX as you will have that little extra from te start 1.6 VTEC....all the wiring will be the same between the DX/EX so that's not an issue...

The cars are basically the same w/ the exception of the additional options you get w/ the EX power windows/locks stuff like that..

Hope this will help as well..
Old 11-20-2001, 12:10 AM   #15
SWIFT

SUPP.. HEY OMEGA, JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I HAVE A 94 DX HATCH... THE CAR HAS NOTHING AT ALLLLL!!! HEHEHE.. BUT SOMETIMES, NONE IS BETTER( I SAID SOMETIMES, OK)...NO PWR WINDOWS, NO SUNROOF, NO PWR STEERING = LESS WEIGHT.. THE REASON WHY I GOT IT IS BEC. OF THE COST AND THE BODY CONDITION... $2900 W/ 101K, AND THE BODY HAS NO RUST... TO ME, THIS IS A GOOD DEAL.. RIGHT NOW IM WAITING FOR MY GSR ENGINE TO DO A SWAP... BUT IF UR NOT PLANNING A SWAP, DONT EXPECT A LOT FROM A 1.5 LITER ENGINE... I WOULDNT WASTE ALL MY MONEY FOR ENGINE ADD ONS SIMPLY BECAUSE IT WONT DO MUCH (UNLESS YOU HAVE BIG BUCKS TO SPEND)..INVEST ON SUSPENSION MODS LIKE SPRINGS, STRUTS, SWAY BARS, STRUT BAR, AND WHEELS.. IF U DONT WANT TO SPEND MORE THAT 3K ON A SWAP, CONSIDER A B18 NON VTEC SWAP(LS INTEGRA)...

JUST AN OPINION, THANK YOU.