::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2001, 05:50 AM   #1
Gator

Sway vs Strut

What's the difference between a sway bar and a strut bar?
Old 08-29-2001, 03:22 PM   #2
advanracing62

sway bars are located under the car and attach to the lower control arm as well as a fixed point on the chassis. The sway bar causes the tire not under corner load to be pusher more towards the ground, thus providing more contact with the road. Strut bars are usually found in engine bays and in trunks, and aid in reducing chassis flex. They basically tie the two strut towers together and make them force load on one another. They aren't as noticable as sway bars and also do not require much worry after they have been installed. The sway bar on the other hand does require adjustment frequently as driving habits change.
Old 08-29-2001, 11:24 PM   #3
abswainer

strut bars can also tie the lower body together i have a lower rear on my Si and noticed immediate improvement in chassis stiffness.
Old 09-04-2001, 06:47 PM   #4
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

I would get a strut bar first. I noticed a difference when I put mine on. THe sway bar can wait unless you just want it.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 01:14 AM   #5
IntegraR0064

Quote:
Originally posted by 2000Pimpinex
I would get a strut bar first. I noticed a difference when I put mine on. THe sway bar can wait unless you just want it.

I disagree. A thicker sway bar will make a huge difference. Strut bars.....to put it bluntly do almost nothing.
Old 09-08-2001, 02:26 AM   #6
azn_nite_ryder

i kinda disagree with that too.. the front struts dont do much but the rear struts do wonders.....
Old 09-08-2001, 12:27 PM   #7
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

The sway bar will make the most noticable difference. Though the strut braces do help.
Old 09-08-2001, 05:03 PM   #8
IntegraR0064

Yeah I really should clarify a little.

Front strut braces do almost nothing. A little stiffer, that's about it. Rear strut braces actually do stiffen up the rear nicely, and help a little to get handling more on the neutral side on these damn FWD cars.

But a bigger sway bar is the best way to go for tightening up behavior during hard cornering. It's also one of the best ways to mess with the dynamics of the car, if you're going for less understeer or something of that sort. After you've done those, then I'd consider strut braces.

Unless you have an integra type r . We actually already have this 23mm sway bar back there anyway, and that is good enough for anything short of a hardcore solo I racer. A rear strut bar is something we don't have though, and a lot of people are happy with them.
Old 09-09-2001, 03:24 AM   #9
azn_nite_ryder

BINGO!!!

I couldnt have put it any better...