::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2001, 12:02 AM   #1
foxygrandma

some weird questions

i have a few weird questions. also i dont know too much about engine names and things, im just gonna use sizes. i am gonna start with the 1.5L block and head. how big can i go with that. i plan to stroke and bore it. i am guessing about 1.8L. then what is the highest compresion i can use if i am running 92 octane? now the weird part. is there a power limit for v-tec. what i am saying is if you star making a lot of power is the v-tec still any good. i have heard that big power makers dont use it. i am most likely going all motor. if v-tec is still good to use with a lot of power can it be used w/o fuel injection? will a v-tec controller make it work if there is no ecu? i plan to use carburators instead of fuel injection. i know u dont want to hear this but i am a muscle car guy building a honda. and i want to do something diferant. i dont want to be just I/E/H. thats no fun to me. also i am one of those close minded no boost people. i want to beat everyone with just my motor. sorry for having no order to my post, just kinda typing my thoughts as they come. thanks in advance for any info. oh yea i think i read somewhere that a block guard wil make a little more power?, let me know if thats true. thanks again.

Scott,
Old 10-13-2001, 04:30 AM   #2
Big James

OK, I don't know if I can answer all of your questions, but I will try.

i am gonna start with the 1.5L block and head. how big can i go with that. i plan to stroke and bore it. i am guessing about 1.8L.
About 1.8 is right.

then what is the highest compresion i can use if i am running 92 octane?
I would not go any higher than 11.5:1 A friend of mine had over 12:1 on his 1.5 that was stroked, and he kept hammering out bearings, and even snapped a crower rod.

now the weird part. is there a power limit for v-tec. what i am saying is if you star making a lot of power is the v-tec still any good. i have heard that big power makers dont use it.
Big power makers who have Turbos tend to stay away from it. VTEC works fine on an allmotor setup. I would recommend keeping it.

i am most likely going all motor. if v-tec is still good to use with a lot of power can it be used w/o fuel injection?
It will still work, I just do not know how easy it will be to tune.

will a v-tec controller make it work if there is no ecu? i plan to use carburators instead of fuel injection.
A VTEC controller can be used, but I am not sure on the wiring. The easiest way to do it is with a MSD RPM switch.

i know u dont want to hear this but i am a muscle car guy building a honda. and i want to do something diferant.
That's cool. I am a muscle car fan myself. Actually, I love damn near all cars if you can make them go fast.

i dont want to be just I/E/H. thats no fun to me. also i am one of those close minded no boost people. i want to beat everyone with just my motor.
FEAR THE BOOST!

sorry for having no order to my post, just kinda typing my thoughts as they come. thanks in advance for any info.
No problem, hoped it helped.

oh yea i think i read somewhere that a block guard wil make a little more power?, let me know if thats true. thanks again.
No. It will help your block handle more power though.
Old 10-13-2001, 07:30 AM   #3
foxygrandma

kewl dude, u helped a lot. i have an old block from a 91 civic. will a v-tec head work on that?
Old 10-13-2001, 07:45 AM   #4
Big James

Quote:
Originally posted by foxygrandma
kewl dude, u helped a lot. i have an old block from a 91 civic. will a v-tec head work on that?

Yes, it should. the same friend I spoke of in the above post had a 92 Civic that a VTEC head was added to.
Old 10-17-2001, 03:47 AM   #5
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

For the cost of what you're talking about doing, you could very easily swap a B16A in, and make tons more power. B16s also have a much greater availability of parts. Also, you can independently tune intake and exhaust timing on a DOHC, which is very important in high power all motor VTEC applications.

If you're absolutely set on keeping your D15 block, making power is going to be tough. Stroking the block to 1.8L is going to ruin your engine geometry, making high revs extremely difficult to do reliably. Just make sure you also sleeve the cylinders and go with good connecting rods (Endyn or Eagle). With the added stress your cylinder walls and rods will see from the rod angle, you're going to need it. Finally, make sure you get some good rod bearings.

I'd also go with a good head package- Gude makes a good one that claims pretty impressive gains. If it were me (I'd get a B17A, but anyways...), I'd wait for the Jun D series cams to come out- hopefully in the spring. P/P by Portflow, and a ton of other good stuff. I'd also go with a D16 bottom end- just as cheap to get the whole engine, rather than do the conversion and have less displacement.

Block guards don't make power. They make it safer to rev higher, making more power. However, they inhibit the flow of coolant. You'd be better off sleeving your cylinders or going with good geometry, so you don't need a block guard.

Finally, a VTEC controller won't work without an ECU. It's a piggy back unit onto your existing ECU. I'd recommend keeping your ECU, other wise it's going to be pretty hard to tune.

Everything you're talking about is physically possible, however. If you're set on having something no one else has, I say go for it.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 07:25 AM   #6
foxygrandma

thanks for all the info, i dont know much about honda engines an thought the D15 block was the same block as the B16 and just had smaller cylinders. i guess i have a lot more to think about. the reason for taking out the ecu is to replace the fuel injectoion with carburators. i started out with old cars and feel i could go faster with them. thanks again for your help, any more is greatly appretiated.