Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2001, 04:20 PM   #1
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Help me choose a true coilover setup!

Here's the original post, sorry for the duplicate...

http://www.hondastyle.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=555

Thanks for any help you can give!!!
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 09:01 PM   #2
Dezoris

well, what is your goal, end result, what are you doing with your car? Is it daily driven? Or are you gonna race it?
Old 10-02-2001, 09:28 PM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Its daily driven, but I want it to corner very well.
Old 10-08-2001, 07:18 PM   #4
Drew M

Yo just cut da bizzatches cuz u wont b able to tell a difference between cutz an coilz g!

Now if you actually plan on doing something with the car OTHER than showing it and boulevard pimping check out http://www.ground-control.com and mate their coilovers to a set of Konis. It may not be a "true" coilover because they are regular shocks with sleeves over top of them. The funny thing is that the majority of road racers use the Ground Control system.

Keepitrealyo!
Old 10-08-2001, 08:49 PM   #5
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

If you got the money, then get Tien. From what I hear they are great.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 11:47 AM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

What type of budget are you on?
Old 10-09-2001, 08:09 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Well, I was looking to spend ~1000 give or take for just the gear, not install... I've looked at the GC/yellow combo, but have heard many times that true coilovers such as the apex'i ws are better. Any comments on that? I'd like to know some more opinions from people with experience.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
Old 10-09-2001, 08:18 PM   #8
Drew M

My comment is that you have NO USE for a true coil-over system and sorry to break it to you but you will never tell the difference driving on the street. Hell - coilovers are useless on the street. I don't hear about much of a need to corner-balance a boulevard pimp.

Don't waste your money on any of this stuff. Get a set of Eibach lowering springs and spend the other $800 on something a little more useful to you like a new amp.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:43 PM   #9
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Drew M
My comment is that you have NO USE for a true coil-over system and sorry to break it to you but you will never tell the difference driving on the street. Hell - coilovers are useless on the street. I don't hear about much of a need to corner-balance a boulevard pimp.

Don't waste your money on any of this stuff. Get a set of Eibach lowering springs and spend the other $800 on something a little more useful to you like a new amp.

Well, thanks for the advice, but even if I got Eibach springs, I'd still need good struts, etc. I do have use for coilovers, right now I'm on stock wheels, so I don't want it slammed, but later I will want it lower, I'd like to raise it for the winter, etc. I'm not sure what you meant by the pimp statement, so I'll leave it alone.

Old 10-09-2001, 08:51 PM   #10
Drew M

Coilovers are not intended to allow you to raise and lower the car. Their purpose is to allow corner balancing of the car to shift its CG into the most neutral position possible. You use their adjustability to preload the springs thus shifting the weight they are supporting.

I am not trying to be a dick but if all you want is something nice for the street then why waste your money on a racing setup - that would be boulevard pimping. Buy a set of Eibachs and a set of Koni or Tokico sports. They are more than capable of handling the spring rates and you will have a much better handling car.

TRUST ME - you will not tell the difference between a hi-po street config and a full blown race other than the fact that the race setup will be stiff as hell and extremely uncomfortable.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:28 PM   #11
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Drew, I appreciate the info, I'm not trying to be a dick either, I just want to learn some more. I REALLY want the adjustability though. You're saying its not OK to raise and lower for the winter (or something)? I've talked to many who have the Apex'i WS for street use and like them a lot. Could you give me a little more info?

Old 10-11-2001, 11:43 AM   #12
turbod97ex

I bought and installed the Neuspeed coil-overs right after I did my turbo installa few months ago. This system uses Neuspeed Race springs and Bilstein struts. It was the difference between night and day in how my car handled. Cornering is superb, even on stock 14" wheels and tires and beautiful when I mounted the 17" Paradas on my Enkei rims. I need a better seat now to keep me in in place when cornering as fast as I am tempted to. The ride is stiff but not at all uncomfortable. The only time I get annoyed is when driving down a really rough road which, around here, there aren't that many of.
The coil-overs are still on sale from Neuspeeds website for $799. That price includes shipping. If you live outside of California, no tax too. The install was a breeze.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:32 PM   #13
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally posted by turbod97ex
I bought and installed the Neuspeed coil-overs right after I did my turbo installa few months ago. This system uses Neuspeed Race springs and Bilstein struts. It was the difference between night and day in how my car handled. Cornering is superb, even on stock 14" wheels and tires and beautiful when I mounted the 17" Paradas on my Enkei rims. I need a better seat now to keep me in in place when cornering as fast as I am tempted to. The ride is stiff but not at all uncomfortable. The only time I get annoyed is when driving down a really rough road which, around here, there aren't that many of.
The coil-overs are still on sale from Neuspeeds website for $799. That price includes shipping. If you live outside of California, no tax too. The install was a breeze.
You got any pics?

Yeah one thing, drew forgot to mention is that most true coilover kits are tuned or valved specific to the car, unlike mixing and matching a spring and shock, that are not tuned for eachother.
This is the big difference. But, most true racers have the shocks re-valved again to accomidate track conditions.
Old 10-11-2001, 11:09 PM   #14
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

So overall, you guys like the true coilover idea? I am just a casual street driver who likes to corner fast. I still think it would be good to get true coilovers instead of a ground control/koni yellow setup, right?

Old 10-12-2001, 08:12 AM   #15
Dezoris

aggreed they are designed and valved specfic to your car.
Old 10-12-2001, 09:44 AM   #16
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Thanks for your help!