Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2001, 11:54 AM   #1
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Rusted bolts????

Has anyone else had a problem with the bolt holding the shock to the lower control arm rusting up on them and not being able to get them out?

I was trying to switch my springs yesterday... And both sides were rusted. I broke the passanger side off and said screw it. Took it to the shop to have new bolts put in. This makes me mad because I have had them out twice before.

If you have this problem before, what did you do to fix it? What did you do to keep it from happening again? I was thinking about putting some grease on the bolt where it goes through the bushing on the control arm. Hopefully thatll work.
Old 09-23-2001, 09:11 PM   #2
extasy

rust

I broke mine and had to have them drilled out. Replaced all of my bushings w/ Energy and packed grease into the metal sleeve where the bolt runs through and put anti-seize on the threads...haven't had a problem since. (I've also gotten impacts since then too)
Old 09-24-2001, 07:07 AM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I bought an impact the other day.. but I think I need to get a stronger one.. My impact wouldnt even take my lug nuts off.. I need to find an 800ft lb impact when I get the money.
Old 09-24-2001, 02:39 PM   #4
Dezoris

I know that you can have custom stainless bolts and nuts fab by local machine shops, which may be a good idea, kinda, going the extra mile, but on parts that may be removed often it may be an idea, or anti-seize every-inch of those POS!!!
other options
heating the nut and bolt, and spraying silicone or WD-40 on them.
Old 09-25-2001, 07:10 AM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Dezoris
I know that you can have custom stainless bolts and nuts fab by local machine shops, which may be a good idea, kinda, going the extra mile, but on parts that may be removed often it may be an idea, or anti-seize every-inch of those POS!!!
other options
heating the nut and bolt, and spraying silicone or WD-40 on them.

I sprayed the hell out of everything still didnt help

I got my car back yesterday... They said they had to drill both sides out and put some anti-sieze on them, and nuts on them to..
Hopefully I can get everything apart in a couple of days.
Old 09-26-2001, 09:40 PM   #6
extasy

bolts

that sucks especially the nut bolt thing.... I'd keep an eye on that it's easier to fix though if locks up just break off the bolt head, tap it through and buy a new nut/bolt. a bigger impact is nice but you need a bigger compressor to make it work, I had a 11 gallon compressor and could take 2 lugs off before I had to let the tank fill.... got a 30 gallon and can do all four tires before the motor kicks on.