Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2001, 08:45 AM   #1
Chief
Banned

Alignment Articled Posted

Dezoris has a new featured column up and running in the Articles section of the site. Click here to read the article and then feel free to come back here for questions and discussions.

Enjoy!
Old 09-23-2001, 09:18 AM   #2
gtp862

Questions.

I have a 98 integra sedan, lowered .75" with neuspeed sofsport spring, adjustable shocks from tokico, 17x7 rims with +43 degree offset, 205/40-17 bfgoodrich Scorcher T/A tires and a camber kit on front passenger side( this is the only side go over the factory spec.). I am having a trouble of poor handling on freeway speed.
Every time I reach 60 mph, my car starting to drift, not just pulling to one side, it's drifting left to right. The steering wheel wasn't moving, but I can feel the car is drifting. Help please. Anyone have any idea. On rough pavement, matter seems more worse. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2001, 02:35 PM   #3
Dezoris

what are your alignment numbers?
Are your wheels balenced? HAve you ever changed your tires?
How many miles do you have on it, any strange clicking noises from your front end? or pulling to one side on accleration?
Some times postive camber in the front, and toe can cause this, how is your tire wear? The alignment specs would help, a lot!
Old 09-25-2001, 05:08 AM   #4
gtp862

It's a brand new set of rims and tires. It has less than two hundred miles on it. I had a aftermarket wheel shop do the mounting and balancing. And went to Goodyear for aligment. I do not have the numbers with me right now, but I'll post it tomorrow. The car most of the times are pulling to the right, but sometimes pull to the left. On accleration and clicking noise, I'll have to get back to you tomorrow on that. As for the camber kit, is it better to install a pair instead of just one side? Does adjusting the shock help? Thank you.
Old 09-25-2001, 03:15 PM   #5
Dezoris

Keep all the shocks at the same stiffness, the middle setting is the best for 90% of applications. What camber kit did you go with? You should have them on both sides, because if you use the a-arm front kits that means one side has different a-arms. which can cause problems, maybe not what you are dealing with.

Turn the wheel all the way to the left in a parking lot, accelerate hard, stop, hard, start again soft, keep a slow turn going (circular) listen for any noises. Do the Same turning right.

Post your results,and allignment specs. Good luck, I'll be waiting
Old 09-27-2001, 03:40 PM   #6
gtp862

Left Front Camber: -0.9 Right Front Camber: -0.2
Caster: 0.3 Caster: 0.9
Toe: 0.03 Toe: 0.02

Front Cross Camber: -0.6
Cross Caster: -0.5
Totak Toe: 0.06

Left Rear Camber: -0.8 Right Rear Camber: -1.6
Toe: 0.14 Toe: 0.14

Rear Total Toe: 0.28
Thrust ANgle: 0.00

I just noticed that the shop balanced the inside of the wheels only. My factory wheels was balanced both in and out. Is there any differences?
Old 09-29-2001, 02:53 PM   #7
Dezoris

Those #s are good. The only thing that bothers me is the -1.0 difference in the camber angles on the rear tires, I'd want it closer to eachother. Take your car in have the tires baleneced checked, they can also check the rims balance, you may have some hop in the wheel itself. It should take them 10 min to check. That can cause the probelm you describe.

Is there any play in the wheel? Also if it is not your tire balance then I would have your front end inspected.
Worn driveshafts, cv joints, bent tie rods. Could be a lot of things. Start with the easiest, The tires and wheels
Sorry man it took so long to get back to you.