::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2002, 03:22 AM   #1
baller99

Xenon lights- need help

Hi guys, im new to this forum. I had a question about the types of lights i could install on my 02 accord. I was in my friend's bimmer today and was amazed at how great his xenon lights lit up the road. I would like to have something similar in my car. I have probably a 1000 dollar budget just for lights. What is the absolute highest quality kit available for hondas? And another question i have is that ive heard that some of the more expensive kits include electronic control systems that shift the light downwards. Are these available for hondas?

Thanks in advance,
Peter
Old 08-04-2002, 08:26 PM   #2
spoogenet

I'm not aware of any HID kits that you can buy for your car that provide auto-leveling of the headlamps. Usually they are just a kit with two ballasts, two bulbs, and the wiring.

I have looked a little into getting the Acura HID headlamps and installing them in my car, but it would either require body modifications to my car or mods to the headlamp assembly itself, which probably wouldn't be the easiest thing.

The NHTSB or whatever their name is has papers out detailing their concerns about aftermarket HID kits and make reference to the possibility of banning them or restricting them in some way or another. The two main problems that you will encounter with an aftermarket kit are: 1) no auto-leveling and 2) improper light output. OEM headlamp assemblies are very specifically engineered to provide a specific beam pattern with a given bulb. When you change the spectral content of the light you change both the beam pattern and the overall light output. Another problem with the HID bulbs is that their brightest point of light output is not at the same point as the OEM specification bulbs. This could lead to more eyestrain for other drivers since you may have excessive headlamp glare where the OEM lights don't provide much glare.

Anyhow, I would personally strongly advise against getting an aftermarket HID conversion kit unless you can get an entire lamp assembly designed for HIDs that will fit your car. If you would like more information on what the NHTSB has to say about them I can dig up the document and provide a link.

Of course this is partially fact and partially my opinion and somewhat that of the NHTSB. It is, ultimately, your choice.

b
Old 08-04-2002, 08:27 PM   #3
spoogenet

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

b
Old 08-05-2002, 11:16 PM   #4
Gandi666

with 1k you might be able to get like 3.2tl headlamps and get them put on your car (you know make them fit hehe)