Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 09:52 AM   #1
msvtec14

Crack in taillight...

I noticed a small crack in one of my carbon fiber taillights. I'm scared that water is going to get in there. I was going to put some of my clear nail polish in there to seal it...Any suggestions?

Old 07-31-2002, 09:27 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i don't know about nail polish. it might work but make sure it does not have any solvents that will melt the plastic.

Old 07-31-2002, 09:45 AM   #3
msvtec14

Thanks...These solvents that you're talking about, if I tell you what's in the nail polish would you be able to determine if it will damage the plastic? I don't think it would. If it doesn't melt my nails how bad could it be for the plastic?...

Old 07-31-2002, 10:01 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

you know they should not have any nail polish remover in it. i know ppl do that if the polish gets too thick. they add some nail polish remover to make it more fluid and then it will melt them. try it in some hidden place before doing it on the tail

Old 07-31-2002, 10:29 AM   #5
msvtec14

That's funny that you said that. As I was writing my previous message I was thinking nail polish remover would definitely do damage. It would make the plastic all cloudy and whatnot. It's rained and it has not leaked at all but there's always that what if. In terms of the nail polish, I just can't think of anything else that will be totally clear and seal it at the same time. Fill it with superglue?

Old 07-31-2002, 10:45 AM   #6
bckwld94acc

I have small craxks on my tail lights. If they are only hairline cracks then u have nothin to worry about.

Old 07-31-2002, 11:07 AM   #7
msvtec14

It's not that small of a crack though...It's on the inner light that is actually on door of the trunk and it's right on the edge of the inner part of the light itself. This may sound weird but I blew into the crack to see if it would fog up and it did so that's why I have reason to believe that water might be able to get in there. But the good thing is that the whole light itself didn't fog up. Just this little space that outlines the entire light itself.

Old 07-31-2002, 11:51 AM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

or you could youse some clear coat. i did it on mine and they got an awesome shine to them, but it might cloud your plastic.

Old 07-31-2002, 12:02 PM   #9
msvtec14

Thanks. I'll try that. If at all possible, I'll do it in an inconspicuous place first in case it does cloud the plastic. Also, there's this wax stuff that my dad has at the garage that gives headlights/taillights an awesome shine. I have the Euro corners up front with the stock headlight pieces and I thought it looked sort of crappy because the stock pieces looked dingy in comparison but this wax stuff made them match the corners. I can't think of what it's called though...

Old 07-31-2002, 12:05 PM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

can you find out for me ? please ? please ? please ? lol

Old 07-31-2002, 12:12 PM   #11
msvtec14

Yup. I just tried calling there but no one's answering. I'll definitely found out though.

Old 07-31-2002, 12:14 PM   #12
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

thanks.

by the way don't be afraid to check the other forums too. In Off topic we are having a blast right now.

Old 07-31-2002, 12:21 PM   #13
msvtec14

Ok..Ok..Obviously, I have an Accord so I was just going with what I know. I wasn't trying to player hate or anything.

Old 07-31-2002, 01:33 PM   #14
msvtec14

The cleaning compund for the headlights/taillights is called Microfinish.

Old 08-01-2002, 08:52 AM   #15
SilverCoupe2K1

You might consider using a clear silicone. That'll seal the headlights and won't be visible. (make sure it's waterproof though...)

Try the bath and tile...I highly recommend it!

Old 08-01-2002, 09:47 AM   #16
msvtec14

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverCoupe2K1
You might consider using a clear silicone. That'll seal the headlights and won't be visible. (make sure it's waterproof though...)

Try the bath and tile...I highly recommend it!

Where do you get that stuff? Home Depot or something? I think Home Depot can be intimidating sometimes.

Old 08-02-2002, 09:44 AM   #17
SilverCoupe2K1

That's funny. I guess bigger isn't ALWAYS better...umm, never mind. Yeah, you can get it at home depot, or any hardware store. As long as it's clear and waterproof, that should do the trick.

Old 08-02-2002, 10:48 AM   #18
msvtec14

Quote:
That's funny. I guess bigger isn't ALWAYS better...umm, never mind. Yeah, you can get it at home depot, or any hardware store. As long as it's clear and waterproof, that should do the trick.

Ha ha. What you said was funny. It's not really the size of Home Depot that is scary. I feel all bugged out when I go in there. It's like I'm in a big maze or something. I get itchy too for some reason...Weird, right? I was there a few weeks ago and I flipped out on some random person about how the store was "the most unorganized store I've ever been in my life" and it was a manager w/o his little apron it. That was funny. I couldn't find the paintbrushes. They were in the dumbest place ever.

Old 08-02-2002, 11:02 PM   #19
SilverCoupe2K1

Yeah...I know what you mean...it feels like ur the lil mouse in the labyrinthe and someone is having a good time watching you run around looking for your (paintbrush).

About the itchy thing...

Old 08-03-2002, 09:26 AM   #20
msvtec14

Quote:
Yeah...I know what you mean...it feels like ur the lil mouse in the labyrinthe and someone is having a good time watching you run around looking for your (paintbrush).

About the itchy thing...

I know, right? I think that Home Depot might be a big psychological expieriment of some sort to see how pissed off people will get after wandering around the store in circles in search of paintbrushes and things of that sort. They hide them on purpose. And they throw in the itchy factor to add more fuel to the fire. Yup. That's me in Home Depot. It's like when you go to Stop & Shop to get some weird randon item like shoe polish. It's far more worse though if I go with a guy friend because they all pretty much REFUSE to ask for help and I just end up having to walk up and down every isle screening all the items on the shelves. Stop & Shop is on my shitlist anyways because they rarely have Super Street.

Old 08-03-2002, 10:48 AM   #21
SilverCoupe2K1

Quote:
Originally posted by msvtec14

They hide them on purpose. And they throw in the itchy factor to add more fuel to the fire. Yup. That's me in Home Depot. ...It's far more worse though if I go with a guy friend because they all pretty much REFUSE to ask for help and I just end up having to walk up and down every isle screening all the items on the shelves.

Imagine they really do hide them on purpose! Ohhh, man
Seriously though, I'm totally with you...minus the itchy part...I dunno what's going on there buddy

As for going with a guy friend...we make Home Depot fun! You look at it as a psychological experiment, we look at it as an adventure!

Old 08-03-2002, 10:56 AM   #22
msvtec14

Quote:

Seriously though, I'm totally with you...minus the itchy part...I dunno what's going on there buddy

As for going with a guy friend...we make Home Depot fun! You look at it as a psychological experiment, we look at it as an adventure!

The whole itchy thing...It has to do something with sawdust and fiberglass. When they were builing our house, I couldn't go into in before it was all done. You know the pink cotton candy stuff that's inside the walls? That's the bad stuff. I was scared to touch my body kit when I got it because it's made of fiberglass. But there was primer on it so I was ok with it after a little while.

Old 08-03-2002, 10:57 AM   #23
msvtec14

Quote:

ha ha...when guys get lost driving, that's an adventure too, right?

Old 08-03-2002, 06:55 PM   #24
SilverCoupe2K1

Quote:
Originally posted by msvtec14

ha ha...when guys get lost driving, that's an adventure too, right?

First of all, we don't get lost...we're taking the scenic route!!

As for your body kit...I can just see you, three feet away from your car, like..."um, no...this is close enough. I can drive it later..."

Old 08-04-2002, 01:19 AM   #25
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:

As for your body kit...I can just see you, three feet away from your car, like..."um, no...this is close enough. I can drive it later..."

LMAO

Old 08-05-2002, 09:05 AM   #26
msvtec14

Quote:

Yeah, I went somewhere yesterday and ended up taking the scenic route. I wonder why...? Oh yeah, because I was following 2 of my guy friends ha ha. Yeah, it takes me a few minutes to get in my car and drive due to my fear of fiberglass. Just kidding. I just got a little sketched out before it was painted. I did go tubing yesterday and now I've got this little weird rash on my arm from the tube. I think it was from my arm rubbing up against it when I was paddling. Now, I'm going to be scared of tubes.

Old 08-05-2002, 10:13 AM   #27
SilverCoupe2K1

Well...look on the bright side...

At least you didn't get lost in a fiberglass tube!

Old 08-05-2002, 11:40 AM   #28
msvtec14

Quote:
Well...look on the bright side...

At least you didn't get lost in a fiberglass tube!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! As if I wasn't scared enough from going to see Signs. Now, I'm going to have fiberglass tubes in my dreams. Oh man, I really should go on Paxil...I'm one of those people that constantly washes their hands.

Old 08-05-2002, 12:01 PM   #29
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

ok this went a bit too far. it's totally offtopic now

Closed Thread