::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2002, 11:21 PM   #1
zerreissen

tranny problems

ok guys, i just had the pressure plate replaced in my 94 accord little less than a month ago and ever since i had it done, the tranny has been makin a wierd whining noise and last week it just stalled on me and when i started it back up it wouldn't go anywhere. I figure that it's either low or out of tranny fluid, but the question is, did it do any real damage?? Can i just fill it back up with tranny fluid and take it back to the place and have them check for leaks? if so, is it possible to fill the tranny at home without having it towed somewhere?

thanks
Old 07-08-2002, 11:22 PM   #2
zerreissen

while i'm at it, i got another question, anyone have any good links to how to's for 5th gen accords? i've got a couple but i could use some more, the more the better!!
Old 07-09-2002, 12:29 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

might be yourt cable out of adjutament, or one of the solenoids out of order. anyway auto trannies are not for the home mechanic.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 10:43 AM   #4
zerreissen

sorry, i guess i didn't mention it, it's a manual tranny
Old 07-09-2002, 11:15 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i don't know but when i heard about the pressure plate i assumed it was an auto. anyway it might be the clutch. if it is a manual i don't think you did any damage to it.

Old 07-09-2002, 12:05 PM   #6
spoogenet

When I hear pressure plate I think manual....what's the pressure plate in an auto? Is it related to the torque converter?

Anyhow, I doubt you have a MTF problem. Replacing the pressure plate on the clutch is independent of the transmission and its oil. The springs that put the pressure on the pressure plate could have broken or something of the sort, which would mean you could rev the engine with the clutch engaged and not get any power to the wheels. I would tow it back to the shop and have them inspect the pressure plate assembly once again to make sure everything is installed correctly.

If you have a hydraulic clutch then you could have leaked clutch fluid and there's no way to adjust a hydraulic clutch. If you have a non-hydraulic clutch then your clutch cables could be misaligned, but I wouldn't expect that to just die all of a sudden like what you've described.

When you say it won't go, do you mean you can rev the engine in gear without it moving, or that you can't disengage the clutch?

b
Old 07-10-2002, 11:08 PM   #7
zerreissen

ok guys, first off, it is a hydraulic clutch, and the first thing i was thinking was it was out of brake fluid, but it's still as full as it was then i got it back from the shop. second thing i was thinkin maybe the tranny fluid, as it was makin a whining noise like it had low fluid but i kinda ignored it for a couple of days, then the other day, it just stalled on me. But this is the wierdest part, at least for me, i can get it into 1st gear, rev it up, let out the clutch and it goes nowhere, so i put it into nuetral, but it stalled like it was in gear, it will go into 1st gear, 3rd gear, and reverse, but will not go into the rest of the gears, so i have no idea what is up with it, guess i shoulda gone with a lower mileage car eh? 116,000 miles, i've had to replace the master and slave clutch cylinder, pressure plate, cv boots, one of the motor mounts is broken, drive belts need to be replaced, geez, i've had to resolve into making my own cai and other cheap or free mods cuz i had to spend so much damn money on this thing, but even with all this trouble, i still love it...
Old 07-10-2002, 11:18 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

umm maybe the shifter cabls are out of adjustament. have thoise checked

Old 07-10-2002, 11:24 PM   #9
zerreissen

what coulda caused the cables to be whacked out of adjustment?
Old 07-10-2002, 11:32 PM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

getting old, busted engine mounts

Old 07-11-2002, 08:29 AM   #11
spoogenet

Bad motor mounts can wreak havoc on just about anything in your engine bay. Definitely get that fixed if you haven't already. My old Volvo began overheating because the engine rotated enough that the cooling fan couldn't run, and in the 100F heat in the summer the engine would overheat when idling since the radiator didn't get enough airflow. I believe someone else mentioned that bad motor mounts caused his CV joints to fail constantly.

Do check your cable linkage to the shifter, that could be the cause of not being able to shift into certain gears. The stalling problem could be related to that as well. If the cables aren't aligned properly then you may not actually be putting the transmission into the gear you think you are. Neutral position of the shift lever could actually be in a gear, etc.

Once you've inspected all that stuff and either verified it's not the problem or fixed it, and your problem persists, then check the springs for the pressure plate since they could be bad. But my guess is that it's probably your shift lever linkage that's messed up.

b
Old 07-11-2002, 11:12 AM   #12
zerreissen

hey thanks guys, appreciate it, just had it towed in this morning, so i'll let you guys know what's up once i get word...
Old 07-17-2002, 11:05 PM   #13
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

no word yet ?

Old 07-18-2002, 10:21 AM   #14
zerreissen

well, i got word on what happened, the tranny locked up in 5th gear and screwed the rest of the tranny up, my mechanic has not found out what the cause of this was yet, i should know by later today, as he's been extremely busy and haven't had time to talk, had to end up paying 1000 for a rebuild of the tranny and fixing the motor mounts, and replaced the drive and timing belts, which those needed to be done, and what better time then when he already had everything else out, figured it would be cheaper, but i'll let you guys know if he figures out what the cause of the problem was...
Old 07-18-2002, 10:37 AM   #15
zerreissen

one other thing that the car was doin before it stalled, it kept popping out of 5th gear on the highway, that explains it locking in 5th, just don't know why it locked
Old 07-18-2002, 01:00 PM   #16
spoogenet

Since you said you fixed the motor mounts, I wouldn't be surprised if those were wholly or partially responsible for the problem.

Sounds like you shoulda just done an engine swap for the kind of money it'll all cost!

b
Old 07-18-2002, 04:37 PM   #17
zerreissen

well, if it wasn't my money i was spending, i would've done an engine swap, but my dad paid for it, plus, it would've been another 2000 to get the engine swap, 2200 for the engine and another 800 or so to get it installed, so it would've been a little harder, ALTHOUGH I WISH I COULDA SWAPPED FOR AN H22A JUST LIKE ANY OTHER ACCORD OWNER, hehe, anyway...
Old 08-08-2002, 02:06 PM   #18
zerreissen

yeah, so i just got back from two weeks in colorado, and my car still isn't fixed yet, but he did tell me what happened, the bearing in 4th gear went out which caused the bearings in 5th and 2nd to go out as well, so ending up in a complete transmission rebuild, oh well, just can't wait to get my car back!!!!
Old 08-08-2002, 09:21 PM   #19
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

wow, thats kinda special.. you dont hear of that too often.

I hope nothing else f'up.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote