.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > Battle of the Sexes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2003, 07:13 PM   #1
02_Si
2nd Gear

Marriage... Uhhh?!?

Man, i am thinking about asking my girl the big question but I need to know where to get a ring that won't cost me my legs. How much is a good price to spend on an ENGAGEMENT ring? I've heard that you're supposed to spend more on the actuall WEDDING BAND. What do I do And where can I get a good ring. I'm willing to spend about $1500 for an engagement ring?? Where should I go? Oh yah, and what the hell is the deal with this bannana?
02_Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 08:33 PM   #2
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

WEDDING BAND is more expensive than a ring?
I dont really see how.. Lets say you make your jewelry in 18kt.. Well the ring = gold + diamond.. the band = gold

But again, the size of the rock you put on her finger shouldnt count for much.. Some people have a lot of $$ and others dont..
1500$ will get you a nice ring.. Not certified baller, but slightly above average.

= baller!
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 10:59 PM   #3
nonovurbizniz

1500 is good... shop around local dudes and big chains... get quotes for the same cut clarity and color.

the band is WAY cheaper than the engagement ring.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:47 AM   #4
silver

normally people spend a little more than 1500 on the engagement ring. you could get a huge rock but the question is how is the quality of the diamond. all my friends that bought rings paid them off on payment plans for quite a while, meaning they are well into the 5000+ range. let's put it like this. if this girl means enough to you for you to ask her to spend the rest of her life with you, spending major cash on a ring should be meaningless, but of course your personal financial situation does also play in the decision.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 05:25 PM   #5
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by silver
let's put it like this. if this girl means enough to you for you to ask her to spend the rest of her life with you, spending major cash on a ring should be meaningless, but of course your personal financial situation does also play in the decision.

Let's put it another way. If you mean enough to this girl that she wants to spend the rest of her life with you, a rock on her finger should be meaningless.

But we both know better than to think women don't care about the ring......

Do you have any clue what type of ring she may want? A nice ring to one person isn't always a nice ring to another, I'd try to find out what kind of ring she'd want before buying one.....easier said than done without blowing your cover.

Good luck.

b
Old 04-20-2003, 05:29 PM   #6
ohiochica

ok in my personal opinion.........when i was pushing for a ring from my idiot ex, all i wanted was a simple band or a very tiny stone. i am not glitzy. best way to find out what is on her mind is to enlist teh help of someone else.

Ohio HST members please read this
ohiochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:32 AM   #7
nonovurbizniz

diamonds are all soaked in blood as it is... F the d'beers family get here some hot cz or one of those grown diamonds... the real thing is just a brainwashing... they're plentiful and not all that pretty.. rubies and emeralds are WAY better looking imo..

It's just society making women obsessed with getting "a ring"...

It's friggen nuts.... sorry ranting...
Old 04-21-2003, 03:09 AM   #8
maikoshi

I guess everyone is different, but I would have no use in a big ass rock of a ring. I would just hit it on things and probably lose it, why bother? Just give me a damn band and some lovins'... I don't need to bliiiiind anybody with my giant sized ring.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:18 AM   #9
Mushroom

Most girls say they don't want a big diamond ring, but when they get one they love showing it off. Go figure.

I did a bunch of research online to understand what quality / size correspond to what price (if you haven't memorized the 4 C's yet you need to start reading!), then looked around at local stores. Once I figured out exactly what I wanted, I ordered online and got a better price and service. I reccomend www.bluenile.com
Old 04-21-2003, 12:11 PM   #10
maikoshi

Well if you get a huge diamond ring, are you just going to hide it? No, you are going to show people. Connect the dots.

I mean, if you didn't ask one and you got one.. don't complain the ***** is gonna work that ring & show it to people! *bLiNG BliNg*
Old 04-21-2003, 12:46 PM   #11
spoogenet

Yeah, I don't want a Lambo, I'd rather have a Ferrari or 911 Turbo or something.....but if someone gave me a Lambo I'd be showin it off.

The problems are the girls who say they don't want a big ring but really do want one....

I'm waiting to hear "you know what he wants" commercial rather than those stupid diamond commercials. See the problem is that girls don't like diamonds because they're pretty. If they did then a cubic would be just as good. As far as girls wanting "perfect" stones....well, if you need a magnifying glass to inspect the thing then what does it matter cuz you vision isn't that good! So really the only reason that girls want diamonds and big rocks is merely to see how much money you're willing to spend and to have some bling bling to show off to their girlfriends.

Buy her an engagement Honda! It costs even more, is more practical, and less likely to get lost.

b
Old 04-21-2003, 01:19 PM   #12
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet

Buy her an engagement Honda! It costs even more, is more practical, and less likely to get lost.

b

haha b you assume too much....just buy her something that doesn't break the bank and looks good. If she says "no" and itsbecause she doesn't think you spent enough on the ring, then no worries get out while you still can.

Women are a dime a dozen, the problem is finding one that tells you whats really on her mind.

Best of luck bro
Old 04-21-2003, 02:55 PM   #13
Whiteclipse99
4th Gear

As cliché as it is "it's the thought that counts". Sure us girls want a nice engagement ring to show off, but bigger isn't always better. Personally I'm not a fan of diamonds, I prefer CZ...because if I loose one I'm not that worried, they're still nice looking and inexpensive, but when it comes time for me to get an engagement ring (whenever that may happen ) I would want it to be nice. It just shows that the guy put some thought into it. I used to work at the jewelry counter in a dept. store and no diamond is perfect. Of course some look nicer than others, but sometimes you can find a very nice diamond that isn't going to break the bank and unless your looking at it under a microscope the flaws are pretty much unnoticeable to the naked eye. Then there is the selection of the band of the engagement ring. Gold of course is the most popular choice, but there's also white gold and platinum. Although platinum is the best looking to white gold, it is also softer and more prone to scratches and nicks and also pretty expensive.
I also agree that you should talk with her, hint around or talk to one of her friends to see what she has in mind as far as an engagement ring goes. Hope everything goes well!
Old 04-21-2003, 10:42 PM   #14
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Re: Marriage... Uhhh?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by 02_Si
oh yah, and what the hell is the deal with this bannana?

It's just a phallic symbol...just ignore it.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:56 PM   #15
DumbMoFo

Ok, some things to consider. Metal: Gold vs. Platinum. Platinum is a lot more expensive, but it is also much stronger. How is she with her jewelry?

As far as diamonds, learn your 4 C's (Cut, Clarity, Color, Carat). Tiffany& Co. has a pamphlet which you can probably request online, but there are other sites and sources which discuss this information.

Not all women like a solitaire, some prefer a smaller center stone with side stones.

At $1500, you probably won't be able to get a platinum band (but I'm not certain). Consider spending more for the better metal and better diamonds. If you can swing it, $3000 can buy a nice ring.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:46 AM   #16
02_Si
2nd Gear

Well... I hoped I can get one for $1500, but I actually plan on having about $3000 to spend. She actually doesn't like Platinum... she likes White Gold. And she likes the square cut diamonds... what kind of cut is that anyway?
Old 04-22-2003, 11:03 AM   #17
SolPol

Uhhh, square?
Old 04-22-2003, 11:12 AM   #18
Mushroom

Square = Princess cut. Good job already knowing that - it'll make it much easier.

If you're going with a simple solitaire band, you're looking at ~600 for platinum or ~300 for gold.

Gold vs platinum: gold is very soft, and therefore alloyed with zinc and nickel for 14k or 18k rings (24k would be pure gold, way too soft). Platinum is a much harder metal (harder to work with and therefore not used for jewelry until the last 50 yrs or so). "Platinum" rings are typically 95% platinum and 5% palladium or ididium. Platinum is superior to white gold primarily because it (1) won't ever tarnish and (2) is hypoallergenic. The hardness difference isn't a big deal.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:29 PM   #19
DsBlu01CivEX

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom
The hardness difference isn't a big deal.

It is depending on what time of girl she is and what kind of job she does. Platinum is softer than gold and will scratch, bend, and nick a lot quicker than white or yellow gold. If your girl is doing a job that she uses her hands a lot or does a lot of lifting that sorta thing, her ring will deform rather quickly. I'm very hard on my rings and all are deformed from the type of work that I did. So, I rarely wear them now.

If you already know that your girl wants a princess cut set in white gold, you're well on your way to gettin her a ring. I'd just say do your research, shop around and pick a jewelry store that you feel comfortable in...you'll most likely get the best service there. And pick a ring that you thinks will fit her personality and that she will like.

http://www.myspace.com/kenike
DsBlu01CivEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 01:25 PM   #20
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Man, just spent what you are comfortable with. You dont have to go around telling everyone how much you paid. Shop around and find the best deals.

I paid about $1900 total for my wifes ring and wrap. It appraises for about $5000. She has about a Karat and a quarter worth of diamonds. Take your time and shop around. Youll know the best deal when you find it.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:54 PM   #21
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Actually, eventhough platinum is soft metal, it doesnt scratch easy and is very strong and durable. Not to mention its very heavy. I thought about getting a white gold band. Im so glad I went with platinum. Im very hard on rings. This thing has taken a beating and is still round. Plus you dont have to be worried about being alergic (its hypoallegenic sp?) to it, unlike gold (some people are).

If you have the money for platinum, you cant go wrong. Its very expensive, but worth every penny. I got the hookup through my jeweler.