Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2002, 10:50 AM   #1
guprestyle
1st Gear

Warrenty Info

I have a 2002 Accord Coupe Ex v6, and was wondering if dropping the car and adding a system would void the warrenty?

I bought the extended warrenty called Honda Care. 5 years/100k

02coupev6
guprestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 10:51 AM   #2
guprestyle
1st Gear

(audio.visual system)
Old 10-06-2002, 11:11 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

you gotta read the terms man. it will say there what will cover and what not. mine did not cover the modified parts or aftermarket. let me ask you a question: why did u get the extended warranty ? Your new honda comes with a 3 year/36k miles warranty from the factory.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 11:19 AM   #4
guprestyle
1st Gear

its called like honda care, and if u dont use the warrenty they refund your money, and it only cost 1500, and v6s sometimes have transmission probs, so it was worth it

I can use my warrenty for anythign up to 36k, and then they advise u to just use it on major things after that, not 200 dollar things, because once u use it you dont get back your 1500, but lets say my transmission gets messed up, that cost liek 6500, thad save me like 5 gs.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:24 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

hmm they really got to you with that one. the car comes standard with a bumper to bumper warranty for the 3years/36 k miles. they should replce all the crap that goes wrong. i'm serious.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 11:28 AM   #6
guprestyle
1st Gear

bumper to bumper is up to 12k, then its limited to 36, but buy me getting teh extrended warrenty i have bumper to bumper for 5/100k, and if i dotn use my extended warrenty, lets say nothign goes wrong hopefully, i get a refund, so its like peace of mind or something.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:33 PM   #7
accord98lx

I dont know about you but I have a warranty for my car and the terms are like this.

If you lower your car, then the suspension part of your warranty is void. Not the engine part.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:38 PM   #8
spoogenet

As far as I know the bumper-to-bumper warranty is 3/36k. Maybe they changed it for the '02 models (highly unlikely), but that's what I understand from the '01. I can check my warranty booklet, but you could check yours too....

Anyhow, to answer your original question:

Dropping the car and adding an A/V system won't exactly void your warranty, but it could void your warranty for certain parts of the car. For instance, if the electrical system malfunctions as a result of your system, then the dealer could be very reluctant to service the electrical system under warranty. Also for the lowering thing, if you tear up your emissions system as a result of scraping speed bumps, they may not want to honor the warranty on emissions sytems. Of course if you redo the suspension and add an A/V system and your transmission explodes.....then they'd honor the warranty on the transmission. Beware the exploding transmission.

For warranty work, though, it basically boils down to a couple points.

1. First decision to honor warranty is up to the dealer, some are real cool, some aren't that cool. You can always dispute the warranty claim with the regional office if you'd like, or just try another dealer. More info on that is in your warranty booklet that came with the car.
2. Legally speaking, the dealer must be able to prove that YOUR change to the car specifically caused the failure in order to NOT honor the warranty. This can be rather tough to do depending on what the warranty claim is about.

My general experience with Honda dealers is that they're usually good about honoring warranty work (unlike VW).
Old 10-06-2002, 11:35 PM   #9
guprestyle
1st Gear

k thanks for the input guys

02coupev6