.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2002, 10:04 PM   #1
Sivik

Time to change oil - Which brand and weight?

Hey guys,

It's time to change my oil for the first time on my Civic!!!! Yippee... ok back to Earth. The specifications on the cap say 5W30, but I've always used 10W30 on all my other cars. I live in FL and it is coming close to summer time so which one should I use? Also, I'm thinking of using Mobil 1 Syn. Pros? Cons? Other suggestions? Thanks!

My Car

My Car is for sale
Sivik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 01:48 AM   #2
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Re: Time to change oil - Which brand and weight?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sivik
Hey guys,

It's time to change my oil for the first time on my Civic!!!! Yippee... ok back to Earth. The specifications on the cap say 5W30, but I've always used 10W30 on all my other cars. I live in FL and it is coming close to summer time so which one should I use? Also, I'm thinking of using Mobil 1 Syn. Pros? Cons? Other suggestions? Thanks!
I use Mobil 1 10W30 motor oil [$3.50 to $4.50/qt] and Purolator PureOne oil filters [$13.50 MSRP - $5 at Pep Boys].

Pros = no more engine wear

Cons = price

If cost is no object, use the same filter and Red Line motor oil [$9/qt]. That's what MOST of the club racers are running...
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 01:54 AM   #3
Maxvla

bdc... what? no official Honda product? you've really let me down this time... lol
Old 03-12-2002, 02:10 AM   #4
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxvla
bdc... what? no official Honda product? you've really let me down this time... lol
Honda motor oil sucks, Dude! So, do their oil filters. Those are what will let you down...

Seriously, most other fluids should be Honda OE only. However, what does Honda make that compares to Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil, Red Line MT-90/MTL synthetic tranny fluid, Purolator oil filters and K&N air filters - nothing!

'They' use Mobil 1 in 17,000+ RPM F-1 cars, so I'm positive it's good enough for CiViC's...
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 07:29 AM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I use mobil one 10W30 Synth. with either Purolator or Mobil1 oil filters. Just depends on what I can find easiest at the time.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:42 AM   #6
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Re: Time to change oil - Which brand and weight?

Quote:
Hey guys,

I have to agree with BDC.

Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic
Purolator PureOne Oil Filter

I've never used the Redline Oil so I can't say one way or the other....
Old 03-12-2002, 08:13 AM   #7
Sivik

which weight? 10W30 or 5W30?

My Car

My Car is for sale
Old 03-12-2002, 08:26 AM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
which weight? 10W30 or 5W30?
5w30.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:34 AM   #9
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Honda Suggest 5W-30. This is good oil to use in the winter cause itll make your car easier to start then a heavier weight oil. In hotter climates you may want to use a little heavier weight for extra protection. Either one will probably work fine for you if your using synthetic. Im going to switch to 5W-30 after my case is gone to see how the engine runs with that.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:28 PM   #10
Mr Sleeper

damn, I have been using castrol syntec blen 10w-30 due to frequent oil chages every 2000 miles. It gets expensive buying full synthetic mobil 1
Old 03-12-2002, 01:47 PM   #11
Sivik

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sleeper
damn, I have been using castrol syntec blen 10w-30 due to frequent oil chages every 2000 miles. It gets expensive buying full synthetic mobil 1

2000 miles??? Geez, i thought the time frame was 3000-5000.... anybody else?

My Car

My Car is for sale
Old 03-12-2002, 01:49 PM   #12
Maxvla

every 3k. 2k if you wanna be extra sure. and extra spendy.
Old 03-12-2002, 02:49 PM   #13
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well for my accord i use 10W30 in the winter and in the summer. i used to put in it castrol but the natural oil sucks. it will get dark after 1000-1500 miles, then i switched to mobil one and my car runs better, and the oil at 3500 miles is clean as new. Also i use the mobil one oil filter.

do u reccomend the synthetioc oils for high milege engines ? i have 126k miles on my car, and i wanna protect the engine for another few years.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 06:18 PM   #14
Mr Sleeper

but you have to remember that I am running a f/i engine
Old 03-12-2002, 06:27 PM   #15
AzCivic

I use mobil 1 tri-synthetic w/ mobile 1 filter and it costs about 30$ for each oil change but I have no complaints and its supposed to be a high quality product. But if you go to redline's website they say they tested Mobil 1 vs their oil and the redline oil came up with more Hp. I think next time I'll try the Redline oil and see what happens.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 08:50 PM   #16
Maxvla

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sleeper
but you have to remember that I am running a f/i engine

true true... didnt think about that. 2000 is a good time to change on a high performance engine under alot of stress.
Old 03-13-2002, 11:09 AM   #17
Sivik

I've heard that synthethics are supposed to protect up to 10K miles. I would never do that... I think thats pushing it honestly. I think I'll stick with the 3K mile change.

Also, I have conv. in their right now from the dealer. Is the some special way to switch over to syn or can I just pour right in? I just heard that you have to get rid of all the conv first. Thanks!

My Car

My Car is for sale
Old 03-13-2002, 12:29 PM   #18
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

If you read the Myths page on Mobil1s website.. It states that synthetic should be changed the same as conventional. Just because it will last longer, doesnt mean you should take the chance. Change it like you would regualar oil and you wont have any worries.

As for switching.. The way I was told to do it is run it about 1000 miles after switching to Synthetic then change it again with synthetic. Ive heard different way too.. I wouldnt switch from one brand of synthetic to another tho. Since Synthetics can be made with different ingredients.