::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2004, 01:15 AM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

the first accident of St Patrick's Day (long)

@ just after 11:47pm est I was the first person in all of michigan to have a car accident.

Leaving my friends house after watching Versus (which was awful) and a game or two of halo, I headed for home. I knew it was really really icey and I was taking it slow (under 10mph) in his subdivision.
Go around the turns no problems...see that the road is clear and appears to have been salted so I pick it up to 15mph after a little brake test and think "I'll make it home before midnight..."
At that exact second I hit a patch of black ice just before the apex of a mild turn and slide right into a small tree (which is absolutely fine by the way)
I sat there for a second thinking "Fuck...ok fender is dead...no worries"
I walk out and check it out...yep fender is d-e-d dead. Not a problem. I pull the 2 stabilizing wires that I could see out from behind the fender and bumper and get back in to back out. At that same time a car creeps by staring at me...think they stopped? Hell no...why should they?
So I put it into reverse and the other wire that was behind the fender (that I couldnt see...ALL the other trees had 3 wires for stabilizing, I did check) ripped off the front bumper and my oh-so-hard-to-find lip. Total fried city.
Drove back to my friends place, called the police to file a report. Lots of squeaks happening and I couldnt tell if it was just the weather guard rubbing the tire or if everything is fucked. Its too cold to play with it and I shouldnt really mess w/ it anyways...insurance and all.

So yeah...the whole ordeal took over 2hrs because the of issues w/ the subdivision streets and all (thats another story that Im not getting into). I cant drive my baby
Fuck michigan snow...We were supposed to get 1-2" and we got 5" and ICE...clearly.

Im sad and pissed at the same time.....I know she'll be alright eventually.
Oh, and right as the cop was leaving...guess who showed up to work? Thats right, the road commission w/ their plows and salt....bastards.

(oh and dont tell me I shouldnt have moved the car...cop said it was fine and probably best that I did get it off the road......it was only a few hundred yards from my friends place anyway)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:35 AM   #2
Wren57

Damn dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear about that. What course of action do you think you will take? Is it worth going through insurance to get it fixed?
Old 03-17-2004, 01:42 AM   #3
pdiggitydogg

more than likely yeah
the cop filed it and they'll call the insurance for the 2ndary filing. When my sister was in a tiny minor little wreck, the insurance called to let us know they had the information on it and that nothing would change fee wise. They're very personable I guess.

Id like to just buy the parts and do it myself...it wont be difficult at all. But we all know thats not how things work...even though it can be done for around $1k less than a company doing it. Plus I know my mom will call tomorrow anyway to see what can be done...even if I tell her not to. As soon as she calls = rate hike.

If I could...Id order the sir bumper from passwordjdm and slap those on...its still less than honda oe from dealership (a new one is required.....)

You know...after dealing with it and all the crap that went on, Id take a broken arm over it. Just redo and put my arm in-place of the fender...it breaks and is soft enough to cusion the blow so the bumper doesnt slide over the wires. Arms heal for free...cars dont...
Old 03-17-2004, 02:18 AM   #4
AzCivic

sorry man. if its just a fender and bumper do that crap yourself and pocket the leftovers, plus you wont have to pay the deductable.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 07:12 AM   #5
pdiggitydogg

If thats all it is, I will definately try to do that...thats for sure.
Problem is I really cant drive it right now to check the suspension for bent arms, etc.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:07 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

that really sucks. you need a new fender and a new bumper ? they are not that expensive, but the paint for them will.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 08:54 AM   #7
Fatal070

damn man that sucks , i hope all works all get us updated ....
Old 03-17-2004, 09:42 AM   #8
juvenile

damn sorry to hear about that. car accidents suck and I witnessed the exact same accident with a friend of mine driving right infront of me.
Same thing...black ice..sliding..hit wall..boom..car totalled. I drove a chic in the back of his car to the hospital to get her leg checked (turned out to be a bruise). Funny thing is my friend also said like 4-5 cars drove by slowly just looking before the cops showed up. Only the cabby rolled down his window to see if everything was ok. I hope I won't do the same thing when I witness an accident next time because it's kind of heartless not to stop.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:11 AM   #9
pdiggitydogg

I just got done talking w/ the insurance company (like I thought, they called)
ANY claim I make on it will raise the rates 60% because I havent had them for 5yrs yet. Want to know when 5yrs is? June... Anyways, at that point I would be paying over $3400/yr for same coverage insurance. Screw that!
The deductable is $500 and I can get an sir bumper and oem style/used fender together for under $375 shipped.
Paint can be bought at paintscratch.com for less than a shop would charge me also. I will be doing the cosmetic myself.

As for the suspension and whatnot; I'll have to examine it later today when I rip the parts off to get her home. If its sound then a-ok. If its bent up I'll still replace them myself and get it aligned when its done.

With all the work that I'll do to fix her it will run me a bit more right now, but clearly a lot less in the long run...a whole lot less.

Worst case scenario is the frame is bent just enough to call her dead...but Im 99% sure shes fine.
After that is tranny, axles, 1/2 shaft and hub are screwed...thats not awful, just more expensive.
Then just bent arms and misc crap...Id have to buy new a-arms (though I think i have to anyways...for the one side)
And best case (most probable) is that its all cosmetic and she'll be fixed by the end of the month...

I need a guinness for this st patty's day
Old 03-17-2004, 10:36 AM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

OMG, a 60% rate hike is insane!

Looks like you're doing the right thing fixing it yourself with the parts that you want. Are you actually going to paint yourself???

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:38 AM   #11
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg

I need a guinness for this st patty's day

BINGO

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:50 AM   #12
pdiggitydogg

Yeah I will attempt to do every single thing myself
If I run into some unforeseen probmem while painting I'll sand it down and take it in...but I will try my hardest to get it done w/ my own skills. It will take lots of patience, but could be worth it in the end...and hey, if I screw up I only wasted my time.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:26 AM   #13
AzCivic

dude you need to change insurance companies quick, these people sound like scam artists.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:30 AM   #14
DsBlu01CivEX

Dude Pat that sucks....one of my best friends (not Erin) was in an accident yesterday on her way to work with all the wonderful snow and freezing rain we were getting all day long. Nothin too bad I don't think...just cosmetic type stuff. And holy hell a 60% increase...that's fu
Oh...and just from a girls point of view....don't get too pissed off when people don't stop to check to see if you're ok. I know me personally if it's late at night and I'm by myself, there's no way in hell I'm stopping. That might sound really selfish and I'm sorry if it does...but it sorta gets drilled into girls heads not to do that sorta thing....apparently we're helpless. But there has been times when I've been with friends and have seen cars run off the road and smacked up against a tree...we called the cops in that situation...we could see no one was in the car.

http://www.myspace.com/kenike
DsBlu01CivEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:30 AM   #15
pdiggitydogg

theyre a private company...they provide insurance to school board members and families
Its cheap and they provide really good cs...but they pretty much rip you off if you file a claim. Ive even heard of people being dropped afterward for being in an accident.
But for the coverage they give the price is good...kinda.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:56 AM   #16
AzCivic

insurance is to cover you butt incase you have an accident, not ream it. i mean a little price increase is fine, but 60% is just plain ludicrous.

i nearly killed myself coming down a mountain(way too fast) and incurred about 3grand worth of damage, and my insurance went up about 10-15 bucks a month.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:01 PM   #17
Honda_Tengoku

man tough break. It happens to the best of us man. Really sorry to hear that. BTW hitting a tree at 10-15 MPH i seriously doubt that the frame is bent.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:10 PM   #18
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i bent the subframe at 35mph. it runs like $100 at the junker if it's bent. the only thing that i would see bent there is the upper control arm.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:00 PM   #19
pdiggitydogg

Yeah thats exactly what Im thinking.
Im a thoughtful-pessimist and always think of the absolute worst case scenario first and then work up from there. Most of the time it helps out but then other times it makes me look paranoid (this is probably one of those times)

Yeah I know about the insurance... I dont like it either, but until now it has worked out just fine. After I turn 25 I'll change to somehthing a little more...kind, I guess.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:04 PM   #20
soundspeed

Dude that sucks, same thing happened to me last year, damage wasn't as bad, but bad enough. I asked the insurence if I put a claim through would my insurance go up? They said they would have to send an adjuster to look at the car and they would let me know. Next thing I know they want to write the car off and give me a shitty payback on it. I told them to leave my car alone and i'll fix it myself. Everything worked out fine and the car passed it's safety, only to be totaled in a head on last june. Anyways hope things work out with your car.

The Only Replacement For Displacement...Is Technology

Last edited by soundspeed : 03-17-2004 at 01:12 PM.
soundspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:32 PM   #21
pdiggitydogg

Ouch bro...sorry to hear that

Well got it off my friends lot today and brought her back. Damage is as I had originally said (yet failed to agree with), all cosmetic. She drives just how she did before. Even the upper a-arm is fine. The brakes are kinda mushy..but they were before.....yes, theyre getting fixed asap.
So now I just need to find a good bumper and I'll be set.

Thanks all, for the condolences
Old 03-17-2004, 03:33 PM   #22
soundspeed

Glad to hear the damage isn't to bad. You going with the same set up as before or will you go with a different front?

The Only Replacement For Displacement...Is Technology
soundspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 03:42 PM   #23
AkimboStylee

got any pics?
Old 03-17-2004, 07:03 PM   #24
pdiggitydogg

Nah, no pics. It wouldnt look like much though. I pryed the fender out enough to drive it and its pretty good looking I guess. Maybe tomorrow when the thing dries off I can go out and snap a few just so you guys can see basically what went down.

Of course, I wouldnt go anything other than honda...I just bought all new parts from them tonight. Total cost was $350 for a crap load of misc stuff besides the bumper and fender (screws, bolts, guard, etc...they nickel and dime you to death). Only thing that I cant get is my lip...which is very very sad, but I cant find the part #.
So there we go.

Now Ive got to mess w/ the fog light stuff and see if the one bracket is savlageable or if I need to make something new...

Edit**
Found the lip part #.......maybe tomorrow I can call in and add it to the order to get shipping bundled
Old 03-17-2004, 07:23 PM   #25
MAXed Out
6th Gear

Damn sorry to hear about ur ride man. I went off the road at like 110 in november and i ended up in a ditch. I hated the feeling of knowing i messed my baby up but then it only costed me like a case of beer to get it fixed cause the wholen front want bent.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:10 PM   #26
Mischief(LTS)

lol yea sometimes you get lucky with insurance. heres my stupid story:

creeping up to red lights=bad.

so im driving in the #2 lane with a mercedes wagon in front of me, was probably the same year model (2003) and the light turns yellow, so we both slow down (already going about 25 mph, very slow traffic that day) as i have my foot on the brake, slowing down so as not to run into the 'cedes, i saw this long blonde haired chick with the hugest tits i had ever seen at this bar across the street. before you knew it, i lost my attention and ran into the mercedes going about 5mph. damage cost: 900 dollars for a completely new rear bumper. i guess they dont use bondo on high class cars? but luckily, my car suffered whats called a 'surface scratch' on the clear coat which is buffed out with a micro fiber cloth. and my insurance company didnt even raise my prices (did i mention i have 3 speeding tickets? ) my honda actually took less damage than a mercedes. rofl!!! pwnt. but no, dont ever fuck around with wet weather. it will own you and kill you and put you in a body bag. slow that shit down!!! my buddy in the marines recently hydroplaned his own car under normal conditions. he wasnt speeding, going straight, a cop was even behind him. and he made no error but the water on the freeway owned him. so watch yourselves guys....
Old 03-18-2004, 02:55 AM   #27
mylittlecivic

ahh yes i love irish stuff, im more scottish though.. gota represent

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 05:35 AM   #28
ohiochica

as for people not stopping, get ued to that. my dad still yells at me for all the times i have stopped to help.
my reasoning is this, i was an hour from home,on one of teh busiest freeways in ohio at rush hour, had a special needs child in my car, and got into a 4 car wreck totalling my car. while my car was acting like it was going to burst into flames, i had a very kind gentleman that offered to place my child in his vehicle. now mind you i just caused a huge accident involving his car and he was so kind to me i was amazed.

the worst case of motorist passing by is when i was first person to a guy that was hit by a car while riding his bike. major trauma to him, he had a head injury, was getting combative with me and another guy trying to help him. and not one damn person stopped! by the end of that fiasco my dad told me if i stopped ever again he was personally going to repo my car.....lol. yes i stop all the time. am i afraid? yes! will i let it stop me? no!!! if its my time its my time plain and simple.

Ohio HST members please read this
ohiochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:41 AM   #29
cashizslick

Quote:
Yeah I will attempt to do every single thing myself
If I run into some unforeseen probmem while painting I'll sand it down and take it in...but I will try my hardest to get it done w/ my own skills. It will take lots of patience, but could be worth it in the end...and hey, if I screw up I only wasted my time.

PDIGGS - take a loan out from the bank, use that to fix ur car and pay the loan off and ur inurance wont go up . . . . .
Old 03-18-2004, 09:43 AM   #30
pdiggitydogg

already in the works
parts purchased and paint at the ready

didnt need to take out a loan, but there went the motor fund
Old 03-18-2004, 09:44 AM   #31
cashizslick

What are you going to use to paint ur car?

I hope ur not using touchup paint . . .
Old 03-18-2004, 10:04 AM   #32
oc civic

good luck fixing the car man

Quote:
Originally posted by cashizslick

I hope ur not using touchup paint . . .

i agree fully that would look like shit
Old 03-18-2004, 02:48 PM   #33
pdiggitydogg

oh definately not
Im borrowing a spray gun and pump and buying some paint from paintscratch or from a local paint shop...whichever comes out to be cheapest. (No, I havent estimated amount yet).

But, like I said, if I screw up I'll just take it in (paint and all) and have it done for me...but I'll try it myself first
Old 03-18-2004, 02:58 PM   #34
MAXed Out
6th Gear

Damn sorry about ur motor fund but shit like that comes up everyonce in a while man. It's part of life. I was saving for a b18c and body kit in the summer and then the day before i wanted to get a body kit and my ride got stolen.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 03:49 PM   #35
pdiggitydogg

Ok, pics of the aftermath

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3f5b9...NshWAB1C2dlULB
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3f5b9...NshWABQuvkY6F6
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3f5b9...NshWABqDaimUv.
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3f5b9...l1hWAB46lcTP20
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3f5b9...m1hWABOUwjFOU0
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3f5b9...l1hWABJUDQv2de

Insult to injury...I get a flat when I pick her up (A massive staple)
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3f5b9...l1hWABo1GzciYG

What I am forced to drive now...its newer but a pos otherwise.
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3f5b9...l1hWAB36n1VrDN

dont ask me why the pics wont load w/ [img]...
Old 03-18-2004, 03:56 PM   #36
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:

dont ask me why the pics wont load w/ [img]...

cause they don't end up with an extension.

i thought it was gonna be worse, but it's not that bad. i ripped my bumper once too backing up out of the grass

Old 03-18-2004, 04:00 PM   #37
pdiggitydogg

oh yeah....guess youre right...they dont end in one
Old 03-29-2004, 08:55 PM   #38
pdiggitydogg

YAY
new crap is on

From afar...and in the dark...its hard to tell anything happened
(minus my lip and adding in that dumb H logo that Im removing tomorrow asap)

Closer inspection you can see the color mismatch from painted to primered black! Wow! Neat, huh?! Super!

Tomorrow Im rebleeding the brakes (wish i wasnt i have to put the itr mc/bb on soon...but I have to drive) so I can finally test the rears out